Locking down the hatches

Typically, I don't pay a lot of attention to other teams with regards to individual players. However, the bowl season is different especially when there's only one on per day. Last night, I noticed that Iowa had two kids starting on their #9 or #11 can't remember which defense that were from Omaha, Nebraska. Earlier this week, they showed I believe a starting OL for TCU from Nebraska. It appears to me that we need to lock down the hatches and get the homegrown talent back into Lincoln. 2 of the 3 can be attributed to Clownahan, but 1 of them was a freshman. Missouri seems to have done a pretty good job of locking down their border. It appears we need to do a little better job locking down ours. Nebraska is not typically known as a hotbed for football recruits. However in the past, we have done a pretty good job of mixing in the homegrown talent with that from California, Texas, etc.

Typically, I don't pay a lot of attention to other teams with regards to individual players. However, the bowl season is different especially when there's only one on per day. Last night, I noticed that Iowa had two kids starting on their #9 or #11 can't remember which defense that were from Omaha, Nebraska. Earlier this week, they showed I believe a starting OL for TCU from Nebraska. It appears to me that we need to lock down the hatches and get the homegrown talent back into Lincoln. 2 of the 3 can be attributed to Clownahan, but 1 of them was a freshman. Missouri seems to have done a pretty good job of locking down their border. It appears we need to do a little better job locking down ours. Nebraska is not typically known as a hotbed for football recruits. However in the past, we have done a pretty good job of mixing in the homegrown talent with that from California, Texas, etc.

I believe you may be talking about:

28 Shaun Prater 5-11/172 DB SO Omaha, NE (Central)

33 Jeff Tarpinian 6-3/233 LB JR Omaha, NE (Millard North HS)

..from Iowa and:

72 Kyle Dooley 6-3 315 OG SO Papillion, Neb. La Vista High School (how they had it listed)

from TCU.

It appears these are all from the Callahan era or perhaps casualties of the coaching change. I would say Bo has done a far superior job of locking down instate prospects.

Anybody have any insight as to why we lost these guys as far as specific reasons?

I remember thinking the same thing last night, especially with Prater. Prater and Dooley are both Sophmores so that would mean they would have had to commit during the coaching change. I would assume we will see less of this if the staff continues on its steady path.

If I remember correctly, the Prater brothers were recruited during the BC era. Is he a "redshirt" sophomore, cause that would make him a BC era guy. NU tried to get the Prater brothers but wanted one more than the other I believe.....

Yesterday's Omaha paper had a story on the OL from TCU and said that he and his dad did not have a good relationship with BC.. Furthermore, this kid was injured most of his senior year and basically did not get recruited by anyone. He had talked to TCU as a junior and they took him as a WALK ON, and he earned a scholly and starting job.

Was Tarpinian a HS QB too. If so, I think that he didn't fit the "pro.....spread" style of offense that NU wanted and I am not sure NU wanted him badly on d......not for sure on him though.

*** the biggest loss is definately Robinson. He starts for ND....which is horrible, but I really think this kid would have been a stud here in Lincoln.

- In hind sight, yes, I agree that we need to keep in state kids.......that are top notch .......or have a strong desire to be a Husker, and I think Bo has and will do this. Remember, HS coaches in the state didn't like BC either and that plays into it.

I believe you may be talking about:

28 Shaun Prater 5-11/172 DB SO Omaha, NE (Central)

33 Jeff Tarpinian 6-3/233 LB JR Omaha, NE (Millard North HS)

..from Iowa and:

72 Kyle Dooley 6-3 315 OG SO Papillion, Neb. La Vista High School (how they had it listed)

from TCU.

It appears these are all from the Callahan era or perhaps casualties of the coaching change. I would say Bo has done a far superior job of locking down instate prospects.

Anybody have any insight as to why we lost these guys as far as specific reasons?

You can do a forum search on the names and learn that some didn't garner offers from Callahan. One poster stated that Callahan and Solich often snubbed players from Millard North. I didn't bother to look up Dooley and Prater but I'm sure anyone could.

I'd say the biggest loss . . . by far . . . is Danny Woodhead. I'd have loved to see what that kid could have done at Nebraska. I think Burkhead is similar in playing style . . . but Danny is probably significantly faster.

Woodhead: 4.33 to 4.38 40 time at the NFL Combine

Burkhead: 4.46 to 4.55 reported through various recruiting services

I'd say that about proves your point on the speed issue.

I'd say the biggest loss . . . by far . . . is Danny Woodhead. I'd have loved to see what that kid could have done at Nebraska. I think Burkhead is similar in playing style . . . but Danny is probably significantly faster.

I'm not really into recruiting much, but of all the kids who didn't come here in the past decade, I'd agree that Woodhead is the biggest loss.

If you look at what year they are, they were most likely left out of the recruiting by the previous staff. They did not do a very good job of keeping what talent was in Nebraska. There are a few, but it seemed to back off with them.

With Bo and Co. I am sure they will do everything in their power to keep the top talent....not just offering kids b/c they are from Nebraska, but kids who can actually contribute at a high level.

Wow. I knew Woodhead was fast but that is blazing. If he had come to Nebraska he might have been the second fastest Husker of all time. (I think Fabian Washington ran a 4.25 at the combine.)

Wow. I knew Woodhead was fast but that is blazing. If he had come to Nebraska he might have been the second fastest Husker of all time. (I think Fabian Washington ran a 4.25 at the combine.)

There are reports that Ahman Green ran a 4.2 or just under that.

Tarpinian doesn’t start but he does play a lot on Special Teams. I believe NU went after him but I don’t think they ever officially offered him. I also believe he had a lot of injury issues while in high school.

The Praters were in the same class as the youngest Grixby so they would have been recruited during the coaching change. They made a visit to NU after committing to Iowa but unlike some kids they didn’t go back on their word and stuck with the Hawks. The other one left Iowa after a year and ended up at IWCC.

I believe the paper said that the Dooley kid had offers when he was a JR but he got hurt his SR year and some of the schools backed off. TCU never did so he went with them. I thought it also said he originally committed to Arizona State but when that one boner got fired the new staff said no thanks. I don’t know if NU ever went after him though.

There are reports that Ahman Green ran a 4.2 or just under that.

Wow. There are probably others faster as well. I'm just going off of what I've remembered from combine times.