SIGNED QB Brion Carnes

JTrain

The scuttlebutt around other sites is the reason for Carnes getting his scholly offer retracted is because the finally got to review his transcripts.

Which is why I thought we started to cool on him, plus his relationship with the WKU coaches, and playing time makes WKU a better fir for Brion. I don't blame him one bit for going to WKU. Why head to a program where chances are you might not get in, most likely will never see a starting role, and don't have as good of a relationship with the coaches. He's making the right choice.

Again, the rumors about his grades are absolutely not true and nothing more than a cop out to make us feel like we really didn't get 'beat' by WKU for a recruit.

Carnes' grades didn't change in the matter of just a few days after we went on a mid-week in-home with Carnes and thought we had the deal sealed.

As I said before, if there was even the slightest doubt by the NU coaches, they would have continued recruiting Fajardo and extended an offer over the weekend. The coaching staff loved Fajardo's film and that Bob Johnson would personally vouch for Fajardo's talents.

Instead, we went on the in-home with Carnes, some things were said, and then the coaches told Fajardo not to come. Carnes goes on the visit, things change and now we are where we are.

Coaches wanted a QB in this class. We had it down to two. We thought we had one. We, as of right now, are getting burned for thinking it.

I'm inclined to believe that things can/will still change.

But at this point, why would anyone be that concerned about Carnes? Honestly, if Carnes is even in the slightest considering WKU over NU, I would not even want him. That speaks volumes to me about how much this kid wants to compete on a high level.

Call that sour grapes, or whatever you want. I call it the truth.

Putting WKU on a level, any type of level with Nebraska? My own father could coach WKU, and even if it was Missouri or KSU offering me, I would take the bigger offer to compete against top competition every single week.

That's a reason I think we are all gonna love Jamal Turner. Kid already thinks he is gonna take the job as a freshman for the '11 season. Not because he is cocky, but because he has that much self-confidence that he knows what he is capable of and he can back it up every time he steps on a field.

That's the thing you get out of so many players who go to USC, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma .. they don't care who is on a depth chart in front of them. They don't care who you recruited the year before or who they have to compete against. Those kids constantly believe it doesn't matter who is in front of them because they think they can compete. And that 'swag' is something we have missed for a while from a few of our athletes.

my thoughts exactly.... he is not the kid that can win b12 titles.

All right.... I'll chime in. Why not.

I disagree with the notion that a player should be viewed negatively for going to a place where the probability of starting is higher. Consider that a kid plays college football only once and then only for 4 years --- and so to risk going someplace where you may sit the whole time (or a good subset of that time) when you could have gone elsewhere and played and proven yourself there is a great risk that one can understand another being not willing to take. Consider as well that for 98% of all college QB's, the last snap that they will ever take is as a college QB --- very, very, very few will ever play again. Thus, the notion of potentially not even playing in college (because the school you pick has 3-4 viable options at QB beside you) is really a risk that certainly is an understandable risk not to take. Exercising the option to choose a school that has needs at your position and has you in view as the man and where you will have your shot to play and compete at the D-1 level is not something anyone should be ashamed of --- nor is it anything a fan who does not even play the game has a real right to rag on someone for.

As regards Carnes in choosing WKU --- makes sense to me --- he'll play, play early, be the big guy on campus, get a free education in a nice town and a nice school (I actually was a Professor there for 16 years --- and it is a nice place). If, on the other hand, he decides to come to NU for whatever reason --- then more power to him. Either way, there is a very justifiable reason for choosing either place. And, honestly folks, the kid cannot be seen as weak either way.

So... for what it is worth.... the young man has a right to coses what suits him best and he should not be demeaned no matter what he chooses.

not a qb that can win the big 12 = demeaning? come on now. you know exactly what big willie and i are trying to say. this isnt about him and his decision...its about what is best for Nebraska.

carnes supposedly has good relationship with the wku coach, who was a former manatee qb,..that part, i could understand...if i was one of the top dual threat qb in the nation and my high school coach, whom i'm comfortable with, takes a job at hasting college.. would i follow him there? i don't think so...i know crackheads that makes more sense than that...tell me one one thing that wku has on nu whether it's academic or athletic..none

I just love how when a guy chooses another school all of a sudden he is not good enough to play for us. I know people feeling may be hurt but why do we have to do this. If the kid doesnt want to come here we both are better off. Why have someone in the program if their heart is not in the program. Even if we end up signing a lesser rated guy that would die to run through the tunnel we would be better off than having Billy C type disciples that could care less.

I disagree with the notion that a player should be viewed negatively for going to a place where the probability of starting is higher. Consider that a kid plays college football only once and then only for 4 years --- and so to risk going someplace where you may sit the whole time (or a good subset of that time) when you could have gone elsewhere and played and proven yourself there is a great risk that one can understand another being not willing to take. Consider as well that for 98% of all college QB's, the last snap that they will ever take is as a college QB --- very, very, very few will ever play again. Thus, the notion of potentially not even playing in college (because the school you pick has 3-4 viable options at QB beside you) is really a risk that certainly is an understandable risk not to take. Exercising the option to choose a school that has needs at your position and has you in view as the man and where you will have your shot to play and compete at the D-1 level is not something anyone should be ashamed of --- nor is it anything a fan who does not even play the game has a real right to rag on someone for.

As regards Carnes in choosing WKU --- makes sense to me --- he'll play, play early, be the big guy on campus, get a free education in a nice town and a nice school (I actually was a Professor there for 16 years --- and it is a nice place). If, on the other hand, he decides to come to NU for whatever reason --- then more power to him. Either way, there is a very justifiable reason for choosing either place. And, honestly folks, the kid cannot be seen as weak either way.

So... for what it is worth.... the young man has a right to coses what suits him best and he should not be demeaned no matter what he chooses.

Here's the thing though - is it a good way to start your maturing into the world by taking an easy road in life? Just because you may have to work a little harder and put out a little more, it isn't worth it? Like my crazy drunk uncle once told me, "success is like an grapefruit, the juice is worth the squeeze." Granted he didn't know ish about success, it still is true. :)

But the thing is in football, you get out as much as you put in. And if you show a willingness to want the easy road, the chances of your success are not that good.

Even more, if Brion has any hopes of going places with football at WKU, he will need to work twice as hard to get half the respect he would at a larger university.

Life isn't supposed to be easy. If it was, it wouldn't be fun.

Now that is not to say Brion will not do huge things in life. I'm only speaking solely from a football prospective. And as a football player, when you lack that competitive fire where you are willing to run through walls to get what you want, it doesn't bode well for any kid.

I also wouldn't say the kid is being 'demeaned', as that is rather strong word. Demeaning would be grown men going into a kids house, having to get a kids mothers approval, selling yourself and your school to a 17 year old just to gain his 'word'. Then to have that 17 year old kid tell you one thing, then do another which makes you look silly to an endless amount of people. THAT is demeaning.

But that's the side of the story that people really will not notice or even care about.

carnes supposedly has good relationship with the wku coach, who was a former manatee qb,..that part, i could understand...if i was one of the top dual threat qb in the nation and my high school coach, whom i'm comfortable with, takes a job at hasting college.. would i follow him there? i don't think so...i know crackheads that makes more sense than that...tell me one one thing that wku has on nu whether it's academic or athletic..none

To answer your question about academics --- at WKU freshman classes will average ca. 40 or so students and all the classes and the laboratory courses are taught by faculty. At NU and other Ph.D. granting institutions (NU is no exception in this regard) freshman class size on average will triple that at WKU (or more) and almost every laboratory course will be taught by graduate students. At WKU the undergraduate students know the faculty well and can get into undergraduate research easily. At NU undergraduates rarely know their professors and opportunities for undergraduate research are less available. Bottom line -- for an undergraduate student it is much better attending an institution whose emphasis is on undergradsuates rather than attending a school whose emphasis is on Graduate education (like NU). When you want a masters or a Ph.D. go to NU. When working on a BS or a BA --- pick a school like WKU. Bottom line --- the quality of an education is, of course more dependant upon the individual than anything else --- that said, for an undergraduate student I would counsel a student to attend WKU over NU 9 out of every 10 times. Of course, both schools offer outstanding opportunities to learn and both places can be excellent for any given person --- but from an institutional category perspective, I'd send (and have, many times as I am a Professor) students to that institution whose emphasis is upon them at that time. To conclude, I am not in any way denigrating NU academics --- as Ph.D. universities go, NU is fairly undergraduate friendly and, in fact, I am an NU graduate myself (my Ph.D. --- not as an undergrad --- and I loved NU as a graduate institution --- great place)--- it is just not as well suited to undergraduates as are state regional institutions like WKU (where, as it were, I was once a professor).

Bottom line --- there is a perfectly rational reason to, as a student pursuing a BS or BA, choose WKU over NU.

• Fire 1

Here's the thing though - is it a good way to start your maturing into the world by taking an easy road in life? Just because you may have to work a little harder and put out a little more, it isn't worth it? Like my crazy drunk uncle once told me, "success is like an grapefruit, the juice is worth the squeeze." Granted he didn't know ish about success, it still is true. :)

But the thing is in football, you get out as much as you put in. And if you show a willingness to want the easy road, the chances of your success are not that good.

Even more, if Brion has any hopes of going places with football at WKU, he will need to work twice as hard to get half the respect he would at a larger university.

Life isn't supposed to be easy. If it was, it wouldn't be fun.

Now that is not to say Brion will not do huge things in life. I'm only speaking solely from a football prospective. And as a football player, when you lack that competitive fire where you are willing to run through walls to get what you want, it doesn't bode well for any kid.

I also wouldn't say the kid is being 'demeaned', as that is rather strong word. Demeaning would be grown men going into a kids house, having to get a kids mothers approval, selling yourself and your school to a 17 year old just to gain his 'word'. Then to have that 17 year old kid tell you one thing, then do another which makes you look silly to an endless amount of people. THAT is demeaning.

But that's the side of the story that people really will not notice or even care about.

This is all speculation. No one knows exactly why he made the decision he made. From a football perspective, maybe he feels he has a better chance of playing quarterback at WK. Steve McNair had a full ride offer from Florida, but gave it up because Alcorn St. promised that they would keep him at quarterback. I may be wrong, but I think McNair had quite a lengthy NFL career and was the last guy to have his 'competitive fire' questioned.

Just a reminder that Carnes' high school head coach (Kinnan?) will be on 1620 in a few minutes. You might want to tune in if you are able.

Edit: the interview was conducted yesterday, but it hasn't been aired yet.

He told Brion about the USF scholarship being pulled while he was "in-route" to WKU. I wonder if he got trigger happy because of the emotional impact that news might have had on him?

Just a reminder that Carnes' high school head coach (Kinnan?) will be on 1620 in a few minutes. You might want to tune in if you are able.

He told Brion about the USF scholarship being pulled while he was "in-route" to WKU. I wonder if he got trigger happy because of the emotional impact that news might have had on him?

He clearly was not happy with the way Brion handled the situation. He said he was embarrassed that NU's coaches had to find out about it (as he did too) through media reports instead of from Brion himself. But it was encouraging to hear that the coach of such a good high school program has very high regard for Nebraska and our staff. Hopefully Bo tells him "You owe us one!"

But my favorite quote from the interview was when he was talking about how he does not like the current recruiting process with "commitments" that are non-binding. He said to understand what a commitment means you need to think about breakfast - "the chicken makes a contribution, but the pig makes a commitment." Classic.

• Fire 1

He clearly was not happy with the way Brion handled the situation. He said he was embarrassed that NU's coaches had to find out about it (as he did too) through media reports instead of from Brion himself. But it was encouraging to hear that the coach of such a good high school program has very high regard for Nebraska and our staff. Hopefully Bo tells him "You owe us one!"

But my favorite quote from the interview was when he was talking about how he does not like the current recruiting process with "commitments" that are non-binding. He said to understand what a commitment means you need to think about breakfast - "the chicken makes a contribution, but the pig makes a commitment." Classic.

I heard about this last night. Kinnan is an old school kinda guy, so he understands how it works. He also mentioned elsewhere that he's going to make sure next year's class at Manatee handles the recruiting process differently. He realizes it works both ways, so he wants to prepare his young men on how to go about the process the proper way. Afterall he has sent some great players our way dating back to the Osborne era. Can't blame him for wanting to keep his reputation intact.

I hope Bo uses this. It reminds me of his "point the thumb not the finger" and other "no bulls---" catch phrases and philosophies.

Edited by MKO

Well it sounds like Carnes did commit to WKU, and his reasons were he felt a better relationship being coached by a former Manatee QB and maybe he felt that the expectations, fans have of him, being related to Tommy Frazier that we would expect a lot of out him.

I have to admit, we as fans, especially on here, have high expectations for them since they are related to legends who have played for the Huskers.

This is all speculation. No one knows exactly why he made the decision he made. From a football perspective, maybe he feels he has a better chance of playing quarterback at WK. Steve McNair had a full ride offer from Florida, but gave it up because Alcorn St. promised that they would keep him at quarterback. I may be wrong, but I think McNair had quite a lengthy NFL career and was the last guy to have his 'competitive fire' questioned.

Carnes stated his reasons.

Carnes was only recruited as a QB, and would likely be ahead of anyone not named Lee as a passer on our squad. That alone would make sure he stays at QB.

McNair was 'recruited' by larger schools, but only MSU and Ole Miss offered, as a DB. McNair preferred QB, and found a place he could play QB.

Carnes situation is not similar to McNair, in any way.