SIGNED QB Brion Carnes

JTrain

The scuttlebutt around other sites is the reason for Carnes getting his scholly offer retracted is because the finally got to review his transcripts.

Which is why I thought we started to cool on him, plus his relationship with the WKU coaches, and playing time makes WKU a better fir for Brion. I don't blame him one bit for going to WKU. Why head to a program where chances are you might not get in, most likely will never see a starting role, and don't have as good of a relationship with the coaches. He's making the right choice.

Again, the rumors about his grades are absolutely not true and nothing more than a cop out to make us feel like we really didn't get 'beat' by WKU for a recruit.

Carnes' grades didn't change in the matter of just a few days after we went on a mid-week in-home with Carnes and thought we had the deal sealed.

As I said before, if there was even the slightest doubt by the NU coaches, they would have continued recruiting Fajardo and extended an offer over the weekend. The coaching staff loved Fajardo's film and that Bob Johnson would personally vouch for Fajardo's talents.

Instead, we went on the in-home with Carnes, some things were said, and then the coaches told Fajardo not to come. Carnes goes on the visit, things change and now we are where we are.

Coaches wanted a QB in this class. We had it down to two. We thought we had one. We, as of right now, are getting burned for thinking it.

I'm inclined to believe that things can/will still change.

But at this point, why would anyone be that concerned about Carnes? Honestly, if Carnes is even in the slightest considering WKU over NU, I would not even want him. That speaks volumes to me about how much this kid wants to compete on a high level.

Call that sour grapes, or whatever you want. I call it the truth.

Putting WKU on a level, any type of level with Nebraska? My own father could coach WKU, and even if it was Missouri or KSU offering me, I would take the bigger offer to compete against top competition every single week.

That's a reason I think we are all gonna love Jamal Turner. Kid already thinks he is gonna take the job as a freshman for the '11 season. Not because he is cocky, but because he has that much self-confidence that he knows what he is capable of and he can back it up every time he steps on a field.

That's the thing you get out of so many players who go to USC, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma .. they don't care who is on a depth chart in front of them. They don't care who you recruited the year before or who they have to compete against. Those kids constantly believe it doesn't matter who is in front of them because they think they can compete. And that 'swag' is something we have missed for a while from a few of our athletes.

+1 after reading this I feel a little better about losing Carnes. If he shys away from competition he does not have the kind of heart and desire that Bo and his staff are looking for.

I can't help but wonder if this means Carnes told Nebraska coaches during their in-home that he was planning on committing to NU. The reason I suspect this to be the case is because of how NU handled Fajardo immediately after the Carnes in-home. But we might never find out the truth behind this one.

:yeah

It does appear that our staff got played.

I was never fully convinced that he would come to NU. When I heard that WKU would be his last official visit before signing day, I had a feeling they'd seal the deal due to prior relationship with their coaching staff and the fact that Kentucky is closer to home. Add in the perks of starting early instead of riding the bench, and it's almost too good to pass up. At least that's how I think he may have seen it.

The scuttlebutt around other sites is the reason for Carnes getting his scholly offer retracted is because the finally got to review his transcripts.

Which is why I thought we started to cool on him, plus his relationship with the WKU coaches, and playing time makes WKU a better fir for Brion. I don't blame him one bit for going to WKU. Why head to a program where chances are you might not get in, most likely will never see a starting role, and don't have as good of a relationship with the coaches. He's making the right choice.

Again, the rumors about his grades are absolutely not true and nothing more than a cop out to make us feel like we really didn't get 'beat' by WKU for a recruit.

Carnes' grades didn't change in the matter of just a few days after we went on a mid-week in-home with Carnes and thought we had the deal sealed.

As I said before, if there was even the slightest doubt by the NU coaches, they would have continued recruiting Fajardo and extended an offer over the weekend. The coaching staff loved Fajardo's film and that Bob Johnson would personally vouch for Fajardo's talents.

Instead, we went on the in-home with Carnes, some things were said, and then the coaches told Fajardo not to come. Carnes goes on the visit, things change and now we are where we are.

Coaches wanted a QB in this class. We had it down to two. We thought we had one. We, as of right now, are getting burned for thinking it.

But at this point, why would anyone be that concerned about Carnes? Honestly, if Carnes is even in the slightest considering WKU over NU, I would not even want him. That speaks volumes to me about how much this kid wants to compete on a high level.

Putting WKU on a level, any type of level with Nebraska? My own father could coach WKU, and even if it was Missouri or KSU offering me, I would take the bigger offer to compete against top competition every single week.

That's a reason I think we are all gonna love Jamal Turner. Kid already thinks he is gonna take the job as a freshman for the '11 season. Not because he is cocky, but because he has that much self-confidence that he knows what he is capable of and he can back it up every time he steps on a field.

That's the thing you get out of so many players who go to USC, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma .. they don't care who is on a depth chart in front of them. They don't care who you recruited the year before or who they have to compete against. Those kids constantly believe it doesn't matter who is in front of them because they think they can compete. And that 'swag' is something we have missed for a while from a few of our athletes.

Even if the rumors about the academics are untrue, I still feel Brion had reason enough to pick WKU. I don't really see us getting "beat out" by WKU on Brion, it just seems like they are a better fit for him.

We dont evan need this guy... Who cares.. We really dont need a qb in this class plus I bet you anything that jammal turner is alot better than brion carnes.

I don't think we can afford to have this type of attitude. Looks like no qb for this class and what if the Jamal Turner commitment scares off all other qb's for next year and then JL Freemanizes us or we get Gabberted at the 11th hour. Two years without a qb would be deadly IMO. :nanalama

You make some great points.

At the same time tho, Nebraska has never really been about the type of player your pointing out that goes to USC, Florida, etc. in those situations. In bursts they might send a grip of guys on to the NFL, but overall, is that what this program really is about? USC, Florida, whoever still has guys sitting on the bench. Who cares how great they are if thats what they are doing? If they went there because they thought they would trump everyone there right away, more than likely theyre not interested in giving their best on the scout teams. That kind of attitude goes both ways, and from what I can tell, in large numbers does more harm than good.

Here's the thing .. you go to any of those schools and you are getting top flight coaching. On top of that, you are getting an education that will back you up in case your other dreams don't pan out.

But the kicker is, if you go to these schools and compete, you know what you are capable of. If you sit on the bench for your career or are behind another athlete, do you really think you are NFL caliber to begin with?

You stare a challenge in the face and don't back down. That is the part of having the 'swag' and confidence that big-time athletes have. That's a reason that kids who go to these schools won't fold in big situations as much as other schools. Different level of thinking, and a different kind of athlete.

But even still, I wish Carnes luck at WKU.

article.jpegncf_i_crick_300.jpg28wdphv.jpg725305337_52Yxi-S.jpg

We'll be seeing you September 4th! ;)

• Fire 1

my thoughts exactly.... he is not the kid that can win b12 titles.

So, is Cody F. a bridge burned at this point?

Unless he reached out to us in the next few days, we cannot contact him. Fajardo would have to initiate the contact.

Plus, I doubt he would now, since like you said, we burned that bridge.

Edited by BigWillie

It's going to be really hard for me to wish Brion well if he indeed led the coaches into telling Cody the ship had sailed, then burned us right after that.

I'm almost never uncompromising on 17/18-year old kids making the decision of their life, but he needs to have a better sense of responsibility. You don't say whatever things he said to coaches that lightly. What he did was just plain not cool, and not any better than Freeman or Tyler Gabbert.

So, is Cody F. a bridge burned at this point?

Unless he reached out to us in the next few days, we cannot contact him. Fajardo would have to initiate the contact.

Plus, I doubt he would now, since like you said, we burned that bridge.

Ahh...*shakes head*

I kind of wish the staff had just gone after Cody. It's a hindsight sort of thing, but man, this really stings.

my thoughts exactly.... he is not the kid that can win b12 titles.

All right.... I'll chime in. Why not.

I disagree with the notion that a player should be viewed negatively for going to a place where the probability of starting is higher. Consider that a kid plays college football only once and then only for 4 years --- and so to risk going someplace where you may sit the whole time (or a good subset of that time) when you could have gone elsewhere and played and proven yourself there is a great risk that one can understand another being not willing to take. Consider as well that for 98% of all college QB's, the last snap that they will ever take is as a college QB --- very, very, very few will ever play again. Thus, the notion of potentially not even playing in college (because the school you pick has 3-4 viable options at QB beside you) is really a risk that certainly is an understandable risk not to take. Exercising the option to choose a school that has needs at your position and has you in view as the man and where you will have your shot to play and compete at the D-1 level is not something anyone should be ashamed of --- nor is it anything a fan who does not even play the game has a real right to rag on someone for.

As regards Carnes in choosing WKU --- makes sense to me --- he'll play, play early, be the big guy on campus, get a free education in a nice town and a nice school (I actually was a Professor there for 16 years --- and it is a nice place). If, on the other hand, he decides to come to NU for whatever reason --- then more power to him. Either way, there is a very justifiable reason for choosing either place. And, honestly folks, the kid cannot be seen as weak either way.

So... for what it is worth.... the young man has a right to coses what suits him best and he should not be demeaned no matter what he chooses.

• Fire 1