Sean Fisher

This is kind of random, but does anyone else think Sean Fisher might be better suited as a DE instead of a LB?

He's 6"5 so throw some weight on him and I think he might be pretty good. Something about him this year at LB just didn't impress me (mostly he doesn't look comfortable in open field). Also we hardly ever use more than 1 or 2 LBs and it seems like Compton, Eric Martin, and others would be good enough for that. However at DE we have Allen, Meredith, and Ankrah (I know we have Josh Williams but he seems to be struggling). So I would think we can use Sean Fisher at DE more than LB.

Who knows though it was just his freshman year so he has plenty of time to change and progress.

You hit the nail on the head with you last statement. Fisher definitely has time to progress. At this stage we really don't have a lot of choices at LB, whereas we have plenty of promising DEs. So, I think it's best if he develops in the area we need the most help. Sure, we only use 1 or 2 LBs most the time in the Big 12, but it only takes one power running/pro style offense to run over our smaller (albeit good tackling) secondary. That, my friend, is why we need LBs.

I really think Sean is going to excel at the LB postion. More than likely in the Big 12 we will run alot of Nickel and Dime situations with one LB which the opposing offenses will try to pick on the LB with a Slot receiver or TE. However with Sean's height and speed a TE will not be a mismatch and he should be able to keep up with most WR. IIRC he has exceptional speed for his size. While not a great threat at stopping the run, he will be a great situational LB for obvious passing downs.

Fisher struggles to gain weight, not sure he could bulk up and retain his speed, he also would need to learn leverage and techniques that he doesn't currently know. It would take him 2 years to learn to be a DE in Pelini's system IMO, so he might be up to speed by his senior year, just to provide a backup role.

Who are these great players at linebacker that would signal a move for Fisher to DE? Combine that with all of the depth\talent at the DE positions (Meredith, Williams, Ankrah, Allen, the incoming freshman) and there is no reason to even think about it IMO.

Right now the spread is hot, but will be played out in a couple years and NU will need more LB's on the field.

Who are these great players at linebacker that would signal a move for Fisher to DE? Combine that with all of the depth\talent at the DE positions (Meredith, Williams, Ankrah, Allen, the incoming freshman) and there is no reason to even think about it IMO.

:yeah We have plenty of quality guys at DE right now. No reason to put him there.

This a valid point, but the problem lies in "throw some weight on him." I'm not sure he has the body type to gain the weight required to play d-end.

Although, if he could put on 20-30 pounds he would be a formidable speed rusher.

Isn't depth awesome? Having log jams at positions is such a wonderful problem.

This. From what I hear he has a tough time keeping the weight on him he does with his metabolism.

fisher for the most part last year scared me when he was in. he looked lost a lot of the time and looked to be afraid of contact. the one game that he did impress me was the VT game. i thought the D as a whole played well and might have been their coming out party. fisher is a fast LB but will he hit someone. he is young and with BO and co. track record hopefully they will turn him around.

I believe it's just a little too early to consider him switching. I believe he just needs time to get better. Dillard was honestly our only consistent LB this last year. Bo spent a lot of time getting in Ekeler's face because of LB's blowing assignments. Neither Compton nor Fisher had impressive seasons.

But, they're young. They're both 19-20 years old with 3 full years of playing time ahead of them.

:yeah We have plenty of quality guys at DE right now. No reason to put him there.

And a guy by the name of Owamagbe Odighizuwa on his way. ;)

Just being optimistic. Nothing I have heard and nothing has been announced have factored into me post that.

Fisher is in a great spot right now if he continues to develop. In this conference a ranging Linebacker that can stuff the run is a major bonus considering much of the time we'll only have one linebacker on the field and a guy like Fisher who can drop into coverage or rush the passer/stuff the run makes it that much harder for the offense to figure out whats going on...add in his height and speed and he could be a monster in this Defense. In this scheme he can end up in coverage in nickel package or rush in a blitz package or in a swap package with a DE. He can also become that DE in packages where we come out in a 3-4 and switch up.

The possibilities are endless with that type of player (if he develops out) and when that kind of player with a coach like Bo the offenses are at a major disadvantage.

From what I remember the analysts saying during a game, Fisher is on a mandated "diet" where he has to consume ungodly amounts of calories to put weight on....and he still can't keep the weight on!

Time to bring in Michael Phelps to show this boy how to eat!!!

I'd like to be on that "diet". Is it anything at all like the See-Food diet?

In all seriousness though, I think the height and quickness really help. He might not be an All-American next year, but give it a year and I think he'll be a solid performer at an OLB position. He sure is smart enough to pick up the defense.