Carl Throws Down the Gauntlet on Anthony West

knapplc

Really interesting comments by Carl today, as covered by Sipple HERE. An exerpt:

I was going through the Husker cornerbacks one-by-one this morning with defensive coordinator Carl Pelini, and he stopped me when we got to senior-to-be Anthony West.

"I want to challenge him," Pelini said. "Anthony West is as talented a defensive back as we have. He just needs to become a finisher to be a great one. He needs to finish plays. He needs to be aggressive to the football and finally understand his talent and utilize it to its fullest potential. We want him to go make plays and not play it safe.

"If he can do that, we could have three simply outstanding, top-notch veteran corners," said Pelini, referring to senior-to-be Prince Amukamara and junior-to-be Alfonzo Dennard. "I mean, Anthony's always been a good player . . . But I'd like to see him challenge for a starting position again. I'd like him to start seeing himself for the athlete he is. I think his self-perception and self-confidence are the only things holding him back right now."

Anthony Blue was mentioned by Christopherson in an earlier blog about the secondary. Just about any way you slice it, we're going to be stacked in the defensive backfield this year. :thumbs

Anthony West scares the hell out of me anytime I see him on the field...that being said, I would love him to step his game up and become a good ball player.

I know what you mean. Nothing against the guy it just seems like he's always the one that gets burned bad. What was it the oklahoma game last year when Dennard got hurt and wouldn't come out, I was praying that he would stay in just because I thought we had a better shot with one of his arms than both of West's.

He's got a lot of potential, I think Carl said it best he just needs to be a finisher.

Anthony West scares the hell out of me anytime I see him on the field...that being said, I would love him to step his game up and become a good ball player.

I know what you mean. Nothing against the guy it just seems like he's always the one that gets burned bad. What was it the oklahoma game last year when Dennard got hurt and wouldn't come out, I was praying that he would stay in just because I thought we had a better shot with one of his arms than both of West's.

He's got a lot of potential, I think Carl said it best he just needs to be a finisher.

he scares me very much as well. Corner is one of those positions that if you have the athleticism West does possess-but youre unsure of yourself or hesistant- creates the perfect storm for biblical screw-ups. You get to the wrong place twice as fast. That doesnt work out well when youre alone most the time. Gotta be all in back there, or youre going to get...un-covered.... :laughpound

I love seeing what Carl had to say about Andrew Green, Middleton & Dijon Washington, especially the part about Washington bringing a lot to the table this season. Gotta love how confident these young guys are 'cause we all know DBs need that edge to succeed. The future looks bright indeed :bonez

he scares me very much as well. Corner is one of those positions that if you have the athleticism West does possess-but youre unsure of yourself or hesistant- creates the perfect storm for biblical screw-ups. You get to the wrong place twice as fast. That doesnt work out well when youre alone most the time. Gotta be all in back there, or youre going to get...un-covered.... :laughpound

Ugh! :facepalm:

I was done with West when he let Coale get outside of him late in the VT game, hanging O'Hanlon out to dry trying to cover two people.

I was done with West when he let Coale get outside of him late in the VT game, hanging O'Hanlon out to dry trying to cover two people.

I agree, my buddies and i couldn't believe West left him hanging!!

There was a few people bragging about the following week though.

Is that really what happened? :espnsucks: