CB Tevin Mitchel

Nexus

Would love to see Mitchel stick with NU, but if not, then best of luck to him.

I've said in the past that I have a lot of confidence in our staff's ability to coach up players on the defensive side of the ball. Bo's track record proves it. Therefore, I'm not too worried about losing out on these highly ranked defensive recruits. Get the players that want to be here and coach them up. The rest will take care of itself.

yeah but it sure helps when you've got some great ranked kids who dont need to be coached up so to speak right away.....

I've said in the past that I have a lot of confidence in our staff's ability to coach up players on the defensive side of the ball. Bo's track record proves it. Therefore, I'm not too worried about losing out on these highly ranked defensive recruits. Get the players that want to be here and coach them up. The rest will take care of itself.

yeah but it sure helps when you've got some great ranked kids who dont need to be coached up so to speak right away.....

That's a 50/50 thing though. Without beating a dead horse, some highly ranked recruits just don't pan out for whatever reasons. Point the blame to the scouts rating them or whatever, but this is a business of hit-and-miss. It's not an exact science.

Couldn't have said it better.

I sure hope Mitchel stays with NU, but best of luck to him in the future if he thinks Arkansas is the place for him.

From a football stance this kid would be absolutely stupid to decommit. Like I have said in the past, If you are a defensive back and you don't go play for someone named Pelini or Saban given the chance you are an idiot. Going to play at Arkansas would be like going to Mizzou to play DB.

Rivals did a study a year (or two?) ago that surveyed a bunch of recruits, and the most common reason for signing with a school was proximity to home. There's more to the recruiting process that who had the best defensive backfield in the last year.

This was a list of why kids pick certain schools

• Whether the athlete made an “official visit” to a specific college

• Whether the school is in a BCS conference

• The distance from the high school athlete’s hometown to a specific school

• Whether the recruit is in the same state as a specific school

• The final AP Ranking of a specific school in the previous year of competition

• The number of conference titles a school has recorded in recent years

• Whether the school is currently under a “bowl ban” for violating NCAA rules

• The current number of scholarship reductions a school faces for violating NCAA rules

• The size of the team’s stadium (measured in terms of seating capacity)

• Whether the school has an on-campus stadium

• The current age of the team’s stadium

Here is a list of why NEBRASKA Student Athletes Pick Nebraska taken from Huskers.com article:

Based on that system, the consensus of the recruits willing to share their individual priorities is:

1) Coaches

2) Game-day atmosphere (fan loyalty/quality of people)

3) Tradition/culture (bowl history, major award winners, success in the NFL)

4) Strength and conditioning program

5) Academic support/life skills program

6) Athletic Director

7) Major degree offering/campus atmosphere

8) Facilities (including locker room, weight room, etc.)

9) Players (past, present and future)

10) Nutrition/medical services

Linky----huskers.com

I wonder how many other colleges have an AD that athletes consider to be more important than the degree they want to pursue and the facilities. Glad to see the respect for Dr. Tom.

From a football stance this kid would be absolutely stupid to decommit. Like I have said in the past, If you are a defensive back and you don't go play for someone named Pelini or Saban given the chance you are an idiot. Going to play at Arkansas would be like going to Mizzou to play DB.

Rivals did a study a year (or two?) ago that surveyed a bunch of recruits, and the most common reason for signing with a school was proximity to home. There's more to the recruiting process that who had the best defensive backfield in the last year.

I agree GMoose. That is why I started the passage with "From a football stance..."

My bad Eazy. How could I ever doubt you? :thumbs

But yes, from a football stance, you're right, it's a know brainer for a DB between ARK and NU.