invited to join the CIC

The CIC was the biggest reason to jump to the 10, this is huge. Ya maybe the 12 could get us a competitive tv-deal, possible they could've even become stable, but no way could they do for us what the 10 can when it comes to academics. This is huge. Between the big new research-campus being built and the CIC the university can become a real player.

Remember folks that Nebraska was once one of the country's very best universities. (Go to Omaha.com archives to find the article.) In 1910, NU was number 12 by some rating service -- can't remember which one. It was after World War I when the university started to unravel because of the Agricultural Depression.

NU was nearly forced to close shop and lost many of its faculty members. Also, according to the Omaha World-Herald, the Republican-leaning Board of Regents turned down FDR's New Deal funding. (Not trying to make this into a GOP bashing or anything -- just stating the facts.) Academics were not the same at NU.

It was about 10 years ago when the university again started to take academics more seriously, and has given it a much stronger academic standing among other universities. Even though Delaney said he has had Nebraska on his mind for about 20 years, I have my doubts NU would have been accepted in the Big Ten if the academic situation would have been the same today, as it was 20 years ago.

I notice that OU has improved quite a bit, too. If I recall, I think NU and OU were like number 7 and 8 in the Big 8 Conference at one time or another.

I'm just glad that NU is striving as hard in academics and they always have been in Husker football. It's a great time to be a Big Red fan -- and to be a new Big Ten fan. :)

I think overall, if you are an alum of Nebraska, have kids going there in the future, or just want to make Nebraska a top rate institution; this is the way to go. Again, welcome to the club, we will discover great things for humanity while pummeling each other on the football field.

I can't believe more of you guys aren't absolutely psyched about this. Twenty years from now you guys will look back and see this as the turning point of Nebraska's academic prowess. I know it is easy to think football was the only thing involved when we decided to get married, but I assure you this is the one deal that all of Nebraskans will be asking "why didn't we do this earlier"? Some people make a big deal out of Nebraska being something like 96 on US News rankings, you will see that steadily increase over the next 20 years and depending on how your President reacts could very well be a top 20-30 public institution too. Trust me when I say it's not a coincidence that the University of Chicago (a top 10 school) continues to party with us.

I can't believe more of you guys aren't absolutely psyched about this. Twenty years from now you guys will look back and see this as the turning point of Nebraska's academic prowess. I know it is easy to think football was the only thing involved when we decided to get married, but I assure you this is the one deal that all of Nebraskans will be asking "why didn't we do this earlier"? Some people make a big deal out of Nebraska being something like 96 on US News rankings, you will see that steadily increase over the next 20 years and depending on how your President reacts could very well be a top 20-30 public institution too. Trust me when I say it's not a coincidence that the University of Chicago (a top 10 school) continues to party with us.

I don't get that, either. This is a football site (primarily), so probably most members just want to talk football. Nexus (another member) and I, and a couple of others whom I should know but can't recall right now, have been pimping the CIC for a while now, talking about how membership in the Big 10/CIC really helped Penn State turn into a better academic institution, etc. Most folks are like, "That's nice" and move on to a thread about football, but there are a few of us who are really pumped about the academic side.

Bottom line, when the Big 10 made it known to Nebraska that they would take us if we jumped ship, Perlman and Osborne jumped at the chance. The football stuff/Big Ten Network is nice, but 90% of the reason they made this decision was because of the academic benefits to NU.

I've tried telling people at work about the CIC and all the other benefits that come with joining the Big Ten. They only seem focused on a couple things: They think the Big Ten is a weaker football league, and they think the travel times/expenses for athletics are going to go through the roof. I guess that'll happen when some of these people have barely ventured outside the state.

I know that the researchers are very excited about the opportunities that this will present. But they are also being very pragmatic about it as well. Their standpoint is that they will not just be handed money or favoritism solely based on being in the CIC. A lot of good science will have to be done in order for NU and associated extensions to bring their "game" up to what the Big Ten already has to offer and in time they do believe that they will reap the benefits of what the CIC has to offer.

This won't be an overnight process, but I'm thrilled about the prospects for my daughter and (soon-to-be)son.

Everyone I talk to about this move to the Big 10 I talk to about the academic side and the CIC. I've talked to a number of people who said they just didn't like it and were kind of negative towards it. Then, I break out why it's better athletically and they kind of warm up to it but not totally usually. They will say things like it make us look like we are running from Texas. So then I tell them we are running, but not because we don't think we can compete athletically but because they are crooked. But, once I pull out the CIC detail pretty much ALL have totally changed there mind when they hear about the money we can bring the University for academics and research.

The other big thing with this money, is now the athletic dept can keep ALOT more money in house to help them instead of giving it to the University to help with running the academic side of the University. We will hear much, much less talk about getting rid of sports or cutting funding to sports now. Believe me, there are alot of smaller sports like Gymnastics, golf, soccer, shooting, etc. that LOVE this move.

I know that the researchers are very excited about the opportunities that this will present. But they are also being very pragmatic about it as well. Their standpoint is that they will not just be handed money or favoritism solely based on being in the CIC. A lot of good science will have to be done in order for NU and associated extensions to bring their "game" up to what the Big Ten already has to offer and in time they do believe that they will reap the benefits of what the CIC has to offer.

This won't be an overnight process, but I'm thrilled about the prospects for my daughter and (soon-to-be)son.

Fair point, but I'm guessing the researchers won't have a problem turning the money down, and they shouldn't. The money involved in annual research budgets makes the athletic budgets look like monopoly money and we must all remember this is why we have colleges. Rising tide. All ships.

*Edit--I screwed that up I didn't mean to say the researchers would turn the money down, but rather they would not.

Fair point, but I'm guessing the researchers won't have a problem turning the money down, and they shouldn't. The money involved in annual research budgets makes the athletic budgets look like monopoly money and we must all remember this is why we have colleges. Rising tide. All ships.

*Edit--I screwed that up I didn't mean to say the researchers would turn the money down, but rather they would not.

I doubt they would either, they've just adopted a wait and see attitude on the issue.

I doubt they would either, they've just adopted a wait and see attitude on the issue.

I can certainly appreciate a cautious attitude, it is prudent. Fear not, students will now have access to taking classes at the University of Chicago, Michigan, and Wisconsin without having to be accepted to these esteemed universities, I just can't imagine a way this does not work out for the state of Nebraska.

Here is just an opinion of mine, but anyways, the population shift they talk about to the "Sun Belt" worries me not. What we have in the Midwest is two of the most sought after natural resources in the world: grain and water. This will make us a dominant force for the foreseeable future as life on this planet cannot continue without us. We will discover, develop, and sanction some of the most important inventions that man could possibly need in the future.

I have been telling anybody that I talk to about the CIC and how much it potentially can do for UNL and the state as a whole. When you look at that impact, this move was a no brainer. But I think that many people are ignorant to it (I know I was until a few months ago) and think that this move was based on athletics and football, first and foremost.