Tech's Take on shake-up

huKSer

Lubbock paper

Long article. Interesting delusional observations: (Kent Hance is the Tech Chancellor)

This, when coupled with long-brewing discontent from the universities of Nebraska and Missouri, tipped off Hance that major changes could be coming.

"Nebraska was not wild about the Big 12," Hance said, adding the 'Huskers for the last year had expressed interest in leaving the Big 12. The school had grown disenchanted with the conference once it lost its football dominance.

"The last four times we played them, we beat them - and, a couple of times, soundly," Hance noted. "I think their athletic director prefers a different style of football than you saw in the Big 12, so they were looking at other conferences."

Some of his friends out west had told him about the Pac-10's interest in expanding, so it did not come as a surprise when the conference first called him in late April to mention the possibility of Tech moving West.

Hance added he didn't have to convince the other Texas schools to stick with him. It was clear doing so was in their best interest.

The urgent pace of these realignments struck Bailey when he arrived in Kansas City for the meeting. He said it became obvious Nebraska had already packed its bags and was on the brink of leaving.

"I can't say enough good things about Texas and (its president) Bill Powers," Bailey said. "They told us right up front that 'We don't go anywhere where you don't go.' They never say anything that wasn't exactly true. Everything they told us worked out exactly the way they told us it would."

This outcome frustrated some Red Raider fans who saw the new deal as another instance of Tech acting not in its own best interest, but in the interest of its bigger sister schools across the state.

"I know some of our fans get upset on certain things about UT, but they are the 800-pound gorilla whether we like it or not," Hance said, reiterating how closely Tech works with Texas on legislative matters in Austin. "The other thing, we have some things where we help them and others where they help us from time to time. We have to work with them."

Hance and Bailey(Tech President), however, have yet to work out the matter involving penalty money owed by Colorado and Nebraska for leaving the conference early.

They had learned shortly before meeting with the regents the orphan schools up north had offered their share of that multimillion-dollar pot to lure back the schools down south.

Hance and Bailey both said they were not present at those discussions, and both hope Tech - and OSU, in the same position - gets its fair share.

They get to decide?

"A lot of people think this new agreement is a Band-aid and that in two to eight years this mega-conference issue is going to come up again," he said. "Now we've got to make sure we win and do everything to increase our attendance and keep our relationships good with our competitors. We can be competitors and still be friends in other ways."

aka Kiss Texas ass

Funny how Hance makes himself out to be Mini-Me to Dodds

Side note, a poster on soonerfans.com posted something to the effect that the remaining Big 12 schools suffer from Stockholm Syndrome (term used to describe a paradoxical psychological phenomenon wherein hostages express adulation and have positive feelings towards their captors that appear irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims.)

I think they suffer from the same disease every other sports fan does. they think thier team is the best and have difficulty recognizing when it isn't. Husker Fans took a couple seasons to figure out we weren't that good anymore..and I think we've really only come to grips with it over the last couple of seasons.

I remember back in 1997 I was working at a brokerage in Omaha and one of the women in the office was a Michigan grad and we'd have this debate between us over the MNC that year. My team's better, no you couldnt have beaten us and so forth. We basically figured out that she thought UM was a better team mainly because she followed UM and not UNL and I had the same thoughts about NU for the same reasons...I rarely ever saw michigan play. I fyou see your team winning all the time and don't get to see the other team, it's hard to get an accurate mental image of how they really compare to each other.

In other words, UT fans think UT is the best because that's who they see the most of, and Texas wins a lot.

The national media on the other hand, as much as we love to bag on them gets to see ALLL the teams ALL the time. While their opinions arent 100% gospel by any means, they do get the opprtunity to form their opinions based upon direct observation than just looking at highlights and offhand comments they hear people make. They have more information that they themselves actually saw live. I know ESPN actually has enough TVS going every week to watch all the major games live. None of us get to do that unless we're in a crowded, loud sports bar....

I have a couple of buddies that are Texas alums and they're decent enough guys. Manny actually has a lot of respect forUNL football and admits we should have won the CCG last year, but got screwed by the officials. I think he and Rich are better examples of what a texan is like than what you see on shaggybevo is.

After watching the entire regents meeting, I can't envision any scenario where we would have snubbed the Big 10's offer. The fact that TT has beat us a couple times under Callahan with their grass basketball has pretty much nothing to do with it. I find it strange that a University Chancellor would be saying that sort of thing. It would make a bit more sense if it were the AD or coach or players or something.

Lubbock paper

Long article. Interesting delusional observations: (Kent Hance is the Tech Chancellor)

This, when coupled with long-brewing discontent from the universities of Nebraska and Missouri, tipped off Hance that major changes could be coming.

"Nebraska was not wild about the Big 12," Hance said, adding the 'Huskers for the last year had expressed interest in leaving the Big 12. The school had grown disenchanted with the conference once it lost its football dominance.

"The last four times we played them, we beat them - and, a couple of times, soundly," Hance noted. "I think their athletic director prefers a different style of football than you saw in the Big 12, so they were looking at other conferences."

Some of his friends out west had told him about the Pac-10's interest in expanding, so it did not come as a surprise when the conference first called him in late April to mention the possibility of Tech moving West.

Hance added he didn't have to convince the other Texas schools to stick with him. It was clear doing so was in their best interest.

The urgent pace of these realignments struck Bailey when he arrived in Kansas City for the meeting. He said it became obvious Nebraska had already packed its bags and was on the brink of leaving.

"I can't say enough good things about Texas and (its president) Bill Powers," Bailey said. "They told us right up front that 'We don't go anywhere where you don't go.' They never say anything that wasn't exactly true. Everything they told us worked out exactly the way they told us it would."

This outcome frustrated some Red Raider fans who saw the new deal as another instance of Tech acting not in its own best interest, but in the interest of its bigger sister schools across the state.

"I know some of our fans get upset on certain things about UT, but they are the 800-pound gorilla whether we like it or not," Hance said, reiterating how closely Tech works with Texas on legislative matters in Austin. "The other thing, we have some things where we help them and others where they help us from time to time. We have to work with them."

Hance and Bailey(Tech President), however, have yet to work out the matter involving penalty money owed by Colorado and Nebraska for leaving the conference early.

They had learned shortly before meeting with the regents the orphan schools up north had offered their share of that multimillion-dollar pot to lure back the schools down south.

Hance and Bailey both said they were not present at those discussions, and both hope Tech - and OSU, in the same position - gets its fair share.

They get to decide?

"A lot of people think this new agreement is a Band-aid and that in two to eight years this mega-conference issue is going to come up again," he said. "Now we've got to make sure we win and do everything to increase our attendance and keep our relationships good with our competitors. We can be competitors and still be friends in other ways."

aka Kiss Texas ass

:moreinteresting:blink::facepalm:

I am not that smart; thank god I am not that stupid.

After the dust settled you have Okie Lite and T. Bonnes talking game, Taco tech talking game, OU coming out trying to save face that they possibly rec'd an offer from the SEC because now everyone knows they truly are Texas' bitch, and finally you have Texas and ATM not saying a damn thing.

The funniest thing from the past week or so was when OSU and TT had pseudo press conferences to say they're staying in conference.

Long story short Tech accepts second-class status for the security of Texas having to take them anywhere(we know about the "Tech problem" with the 10). Hance talks out of his ass. We didn't run from Tech, we ran to a con that provides security, superior tv-deals, superior academics via CIC membership. He didn't hold jack together, all Tech was going to do was follow Texas's lead.