The 1997 National Championship Discussion Thread

They almost lost to a team led by Ryan Leaf.....enough said.

This people! Do we really need to discuss this until September? Look, the article was written by a NorthWestern grad. The guy makes a mention about the "kick" but forgets about the out of bounds catch and the trap in the endzone that I might add Todd Blackledge himself admitted too. Garbage in garbage out.

Best way too decide this, since it can't actually be decided:

Nebraska------>Peyton Manning------>42-17

Michigan------>Ryan Leaf-------------->21-16

Peyton "Greatest Ever" Manning ---- or ----- Ryan "failure" Leaf

End of debate....

My argument exactly RR. And Leaf should have had one more play.

T_O_B

I would rather have a national championship that was decided by coaches of the game instead of sportswiters any day.

Why? Coaches can't watch games, and they have no idea what's going on. Bo doesn't even know the names of the best players on the teams we play, why do you think that type of person would be a qualified voter?

I would rather have a national championship that was decided by coaches of the game instead of sportswiters any day.

Why? Coaches can't watch games, and they have no idea what's going on. Bo doesn't even know the names of the best players on the teams we play, why do you think that type of person would be a qualified voter?

And the writers are always correct? They had USC picked to win nc this year and ND not even ranked.

Nebraska deserved the trophy no question.

Two corrections though, I believe the catch was on 4th down, and it is illegal to kick the ball. That was one of the questions they were trying to decide if it was intentional or not. That was the reason for all the presure at the end.

Nebraska deserved the trophy no question.

Two corrections though, I believe the catch was on 4th down, and it is illegal to kick the ball. That was one of the questions they were trying to decide if it was intentional or not. That was the reason for all the presure at the end.

It was 3rd down.

http://www.huskermax...97/missouri.htm

N 3-10 M12 M.Davison crossing pass from S.Frost for 12 yards to the MISSOURI0, 1ST DOWN NU, TOUCHDOWN, clock 00:00.

K.Brown kick attempt good.

As bullish most on here are about the huskers, I find it hard to take most peoples memory on here about the 97 team. From memory, I find it hard to say that either team would have easily won the game. To me, it would have been a good match up.

As for the article, that is a horrible reason to give it to Michigan.