Zac Lee will be the starter

Why are people so happy he is our best? How come only a few of us are outraged that a decent qb can't be coaxed into wearing a husker uni?

This is the major disconnect in this thread.

Not really. Two separate arguments are happening at the same time. The major disconnect is that the pro Lee people are not saying how they really feel about Lee's ability at qb. You just finally said it for yourself. We don't think he is great, but we are supporting our guy. So will I and so will bshirt and Plan Nine - on Saturday! The title of the thread is about Lee will start. That doesn't leave much room for argument. Who knows? That is out of our hands. What the OP said is that after re-watching ZL from last year, he can do this and he can do that. Then some of us said, "not true, he stinks, he can't do much of anything!" That is something to discuss! What most in this thread are doing, is countering he stinks with, "he's the best we have, we have no one better," which is a different argument. This isn't a he will start vs he won't start thread or a he's the best we have vs we have better anymore. It turned, rightfully so, or was hijacked into a, can the guy play or can't he thread. The opposition to his ability to play is being met with ''his elbow hurt'', or'' the line stinks." Well we say HE isn't any good. What say you? :LOLtartar

Only two things have me questioning the whole "Zac Lee" thing, are:

A ) I heard during one of the games, can't remember if it was from Greg Sharpe and the guys on the radio, or on one of the television broadcasts(Sorry, couldn't find a link on it, but I know I heard this somewhere); is that Zac Lee was originally a baseball player and had never played QB before, He got his first experience at QB at the JUCO he transferred from, So, if that is True, Isn't he pretty much still learning the QB position too?

and

B ) If his injury was so bad that it WAS effecting our ability to win games, the coaches would have taken him out, because they wouldn't have risked further injury to him, and would have let Cody Green or Latravis Washington play because they were healthy, if we lost games, it would have been because they didn't play well. So I'm curious as to just HOW BAD that injury really was.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Green or Washington was a better option, or that Lee isn't tough, in fact I think he's tougher than I would have guessed. Now I'll give him a game or two to prove if the injury really was the difference, but I just have that thought in the back of my head about it that i mentioned earlier.

Oh, and take A for what it's worth. I know I heard it though, because I was VERY confused about why HE was starting when we had Green, who apparently was the only Non-Redshirted, Active QB, that came out of High School playing QB. But I Trust in the coaches so I wasn't, and won't argue. I just wanted to throw my opinion out there. Feel Free to correct me or anything :)

Zac Lee was co-player of the year for St. Ignatius Prep in the West Catholic Athletic League. He played qb in high school. :nutz

His dad played pro as a QB. I am sure Zac played QB growing up he played QB.

Can you imagine Zac at 8, 9 or 10 and the pee football coach says hey ZAC -What position did you dad play when he played football? Little Zac, he played QB. Coach-Oh, did he play in high school and college?

Little Zac-yeah he played high school, college and had a very long pro career as a QB.

Coach-Ok kids, I think we found our QB.

I am sure Zac had a lot of snaps as a QB growing up.

The opposition to his ability to play is being met with ''his elbow hurt'', or'' the line stinks." Well we say HE isn't any good. What say you?

cap K, my opinion is that Zac is a talent that hasn't lived up to his potential on the field for a variety of the reasons, the injury being one of them. His performance suffered from the offense suffering as a whole, and the middling stats he put up last year are an indication of that more than a pure indictment of him. We can go over the OL and WR issues a million times, but they were what they were.

I think also, that being a talent, knowing the offense, and knowing how to make the throws - you can STILL struggle to put up a good year. It happens all the time. Football is just a team effort and what Zac hasn't quite shown yet is clutch performance and being a gamer. This doesn't mean he isn't a good QB.

Keller, of course, was a great QB with all the skills and physical tools - and yet he played relatively poorly for us. The team didn't play for him, he didn't have that 'rare' it factor that leads to huge success at the position. With Lee, it's not the same situation - I am just pointing out that being a good, talented QB doesn't translate into monster stats (see Josh Freeman!) But, some are pointing to the struggles last year and saying "He sucks, he locks onto receivers, he doesn't know how to run the offense, he doesn't have a good arm."

I'm just saying these things aren't true. Talent never translates into stats. But it's got a lot better shot at doing so than lack of talent. I hope Lee is ready to make a Taylor-like jump in his second year. I think Lee is supposed to have a real good grasp of this offense, but maybe not the razor-sharp expertise of Ganz or Taylor yet. But from where he is he is the most likely to evolve into that QB we all need him to be. So to me it's both "He's the best QB we have" and "He's a good QB in his own right." It's not "He'll have a better year than say, Freeman in '08" though.

• Fire 1

The opposition to his ability to play is being met with ''his elbow hurt'', or'' the line stinks." Well we say HE isn't any good. What say you?

cap K, my opinion is that Zac is a talent that hasn't lived up to his potential on the field for a variety of the reasons, the injury being one of them. His performance suffered from the offense suffering as a whole, and the middling stats he put up last year are an indication of that more than a pure indictment of him. We can go over the OL and WR issues a million times, but they were what they were.

I think also, that being a talent, knowing the offense, and knowing how to make the throws - you can STILL struggle to put up a good year. It happens all the time. Football is just a team effort and what Zac hasn't quite shown yet is clutch performance and being a gamer. This doesn't mean he isn't a good QB.

Keller, of course, was a great QB with all the skills and physical tools - and yet he played relatively poorly for us. The team didn't play for him, he didn't have that 'rare' it factor that leads to huge success at the position. With Lee, it's not the same situation - I am just pointing out that being a good, talented QB doesn't translate into monster stats (see Josh Freeman!) But, some are pointing to the struggles last year and saying "He sucks, he locks onto receivers, he doesn't know how to run the offense, he doesn't have a good arm."

I'm just saying these things aren't true. Talent never translates into stats. But it's got a lot better shot at doing so than lack of talent. I hope Lee is ready to make a Taylor-like jump in his second year. I think Lee is supposed to have a real good grasp of this offense, but maybe not the razor-sharp expertise of Ganz or Taylor yet. But from where he is he is the most likely to evolve into that QB we all need him to be. So to me it's both "He's the best QB we have" and "He's a good QB in his own right." It's not "He'll have a better year than say, Freeman in '08" though.

Zoogs, I hope you are right and I'll be elated if you are. I just haven't seen anything that tells me he can do this.

Zoogs, I hope you are right and I'll be elated if you are. I just haven't seen anything that tells me he can do this.

Or Cody Green, or T-Mart, or Spano... I think it will be a fun fall camp with all the speculation but I think Lee is still the #1 option.

You have zero authority regarding our starting qb. Bo says it's an open race. Deal with it.

Bo is the master of coach speak, he says crap like that pretty much constantly.

If Lee doesn't start then I will happily eat my words, but unless Green has underwent some rapid transformation and is significantly better than he was last year, then Lee is going to be the man.

bo's 'coachspeak' goes both ways tho. He doesnt bullsh#t. If its open, that means its open. That means the staff feels lee isnt the legitimate, ohmygodgonnabestarter. And riddle me this...who didnt we see on the trip to the big 12 media days?

I thought about this as well during the media days.

Me too. It's quite obvious that Prince Amukamara will NOT start at quarterback. I've been saying that this whole thread but nobody listens. Nobody! :ahhhhhhhh