QB Race

:yeah

Did some hunting and gathering and here is what I found:

Martinez did in fact quit on his team that Friday he missed practice. That is where the UCLA rumors began. He has since then come on strong and had a terrific week. Cody Green has had an excellent camp as well. Zac Lee has done everything that the coaches have asked him to do and has had a great camp.

What I would say is that nothing has really changed. Except the race has become tighter.

That's the thing that kinda makes me laugh in all of this. In a matter of a week, Taylor went from questioning his role in the offense to our rumored #1 QB? :wacko:

And yet people get miffed if you don't take their word as gospel, or the rumor from another guy on another board who is usually right about these kinds of things, as gospel.

Anyone who's not interested in competing for their job had better transfer out of Bo's program right now. He's been up-front about that since the first recruiting contact; to suddenly expect to be given a position, whether that be #1, #2 or #3 on the depth chart, isn't thinking very clearly.

Martinez did in fact quit on his team that Friday he missed practice. That is where the UCLA rumors began. He has since then come on strong and had a terrific week. Cody Green has had an excellent camp as well. Zac Lee has done everything that the coaches have asked him to do and has had a great camp.

What I would say is that nothing has really changed. Except the race has become tighter.

That's the thing that kinda makes me laugh in all of this. In a matter of a week, Taylor went from questioning his role in the offense to our rumored #1 QB? :wacko:

And yet people get miffed if you don't take their word as gospel, or the rumor from another guy on another board who is usually right about these kinds of things, as gospel.

Anyone who's not interested in competing for their job had better transfer out of Bo's program right now. He's been up-front about that since the first recruiting contact; to suddenly expect to be given a position, whether that be #1, #2 or #3 on the depth chart, isn't thinking very clearly.

Hammer meet nail Knapplc.

Newsflash folks: Zac Lee seriously sucked at times last year! Sorry but I don't think it's that crazy for people to have doubts about his ability to lead this team after watching the snooze fest that was the NU offense in 2010.

"He was injured and it certainly affected the way he played. Still, he played poorly most of the season with that injury."
Yes he was. I'm glad we can reiterate this true and obvious statement.

How stupid of a statement is that? You basically said "Sure, he was limited in what he could do because he was hurt, but he still sucked!" Of course he did. After we all learned of the injury it explained a lot. You could not have possibly expected him to be an All-American could you?
Answer: How stupid of a statement is it? It's not a stupid statement. It's an obvious and true statement. Unless of course you think things that are obvious and true are stupid. Additionally I didn't see where I said I expected him to play like an All American or that I gave any opinion on how I expected him to play.. I only see where again stated that he played poorly, which he did.. I'll explain the rationale on this. I'm sure maybe you've noticed, a lot of times on this board, people NEED THE OBVIOUS SPELLED OUT FOR THEM. This was an example.. Thanks..

I am not talking to you but just in general to the board. I read awhile ago that SW actually tailored the offense and the routes the WRs ran on particular plays because of the injury to Zac Lee because he flat out could not make some of the more routine throws. Could that have been why our timing as an offense was off? If you change the offense a bit your QB isn't going to know it as well as he did before it was changed. Could that be why Zac starred down WRs at times last year? Because he didn't know the offense as well at that point?
All of this and a bag of chips won't take away from the fact that Zac Lee played like dog crap last year. You surely go far and wide to defend him. Almost as far out of the way they went at the end of the season lastn year to excuse his sh*tty play to the media with a big "He was playing hurt" speil. Which as true as it was, it was still an excuse for a crappy overall offense that was meant to make Husker Nation go.. "Oooooooh.. Poor Zac, maybe Shawn is a great O.C. after all. Maybe all those horrible decisions and lack of scrambling ability were because of his hurt arm.. That poor guy.. Maybe he would have had more chances to cackle like a crazy man like he did in the Missouri game if only his arm hand't been hurt. " Well I'll tell you what it made me think.. It made me think. How bad was his arm really hurt? Why would they let him continue to play if it was really that serious of an injury, and how much a difference will it REALLY make when he heals up.. I guess we're about to find out. I sure hope he proves me wrong and wins the facking Heisman trophy.. My guess is he'll lose the starting job by the time we head to K-State. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Newsflash folks: Zac Lee seriously sucked at times last year! Sorry but I don't think it's that crazy for people to have doubts about his ability to lead this team after watching the snooze fest that was the NU offense in 2010.

"He was injured and it certainly affected the way he played. Still, he played poorly most of the season with that injury."
Yes he was. I'm glad we can reiterate this true and obvious statement.

How stupid of a statement is that? You basically said "Sure, he was limited in what he could do because he was hurt, but he still sucked!" Of course he did. After we all learned of the injury it explained a lot. You could not have possibly expected him to be an All-American could you?
Answer: How stupid of a statement is it? It's not a stupid statement. It's an obvious and true statement. Unless of course you think things that are obvious and true are stupid. Additionally I didn't see where I said I expected him to play like an All American or that I gave any opinion on how I expected him to play.. I only see where again stated that he played poorly, which he did.. I'll explain the rationale on this. I'm sure maybe you've noticed, a lot of times on this board, people NEED THE OBVIOUS SPELLED OUT FOR THEM. This was an example.. Thanks..

I am not talking to you but just in general to the board. I read awhile ago that SW actually tailored the offense and the routes the WRs ran on particular plays because of the injury to Zac Lee because he flat out could not make some of the more routine throws. Could that have been why our timing as an offense was off? If you change the offense a bit your QB isn't going to know it as well as he did before it was changed. Could that be why Zac starred down WRs at times last year? Because he didn't know the offense as well at that point?
All of this and a bag of chips won't take away from the fact that Zac Lee played like dog crap last year. You surely go far and wide to defend him. Almost as far out of the way they went at the end of the season lastn year to excuse his sh*tty play to the media with a big "He was playing hurt" speil. Which as true as it was, it was still an excuse for a crappy overall offense that was meant to make Husker Nation go.. "Oooooooh.. Poor Zac, maybe Shawn is a great O.C. after all. Maybe all those horrible decisions and lack of scrambling ability were because of his hurt arm.. That poor guy.. Maybe he would have had more chances to cackle like a crazy man like he did in the Missouri game if only his arm hand't been hurt. " Well I'll tell you what it made me think.. It made me think. How bad was his arm really hurt? Why would they let him continue to play if it was really that serious of an injury, and how much a difference will it REALLY make when he heals up.. I guess we're about to find out. I sure hope he proves me wrong and wins the facking Heisman trophy.. My guess is he'll lose the starting job by the time we head to K-State. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

I am sorry to be as gruff about this subject as I am, but this post isnt worth the time that you took to type it.

He tore what is known as the "ACL of your elbow." I had that explained to me by a professional athletic trainer that I know personally. He said that tendon actually goes from the elbow down to your finger tips, so gripping and throwing the ball would be very unpredictable. So again I will ask you, If a RB tore his ACL in his knee would you expect him to play well? I wouldn't. Zac played because he couldnt hurt it any worse and even a hurt Zac Lee gave us a better chance to win than a healthy true freshmen.

Again, the statement above was stupid. It may have been true and obvious, but it was still a stupid one to make when you try to use it to make any type of point about Zac Lee or the QB situation.

The fact of the matter is the QB race is as follows:

Zac Lee

Cody Green/Martinez

It could change like you predicted that he will lose his job by KSU, I predicted that he will surprise you. But Zac has had a very good fall camp and the spring game hero actually quit the team once and then came back.

The only thing that we have gotten out of Bo recently has been that the QB situation became a bit clearer. That is literally the only thing that we have heard regarding this situation. Not a single staff member has said anything else. It is all in how you read into that statement to tell you what is happening. It could mean that Kellogg has stepped up and is now our number one guy for all we know.

Look, I definately think that the QB that comes out of the Cody Green Taylor Martinez battle alive will definately be better than Zac Lee throughout their career. I believe that they are both going to get on the field and make some big time plays this year. But with those plays are going to come moments of complete and utter stupidity that can be attributed to inexperience. With that said I want the most steady QB that is not going to make stupid mistakes and ruin it for us. We all know that the strength of this team is our defense. With that said I believe that Bo and Watson will throw the most steady QB out there that gives us the best chance to win, while not putting us in situations that will lose the game.

I highly... highly doubt this. If Taylor had quit , he would have been shown the door.

the coach said in the interview the other day no starter was yet choosen , but it has become a bit more clear....so someone is starting to rise above the crowd

Lots of speculation that the "clearer" QB picture is between the 2nd and 3rd guy, and that the battle is down to 2 guys for the top spot. This is very speculative, so take it for what it's worth.

Im not much details sort of guy.... but didnt Martinez missed practiced on a Thursday and then cameback on Friday. I think speculation on here was he had class or something.

This argument is a wash guys, Bronson Marsh is obviously going to be the starter by game 1

+1

Lol, I was going to say Jonathan Moxon will take over when Lance Harbor's knee goes out early in the season but your scenario seems more believable

Look, I definately think that the QB that comes out of the Cody Green Taylor Martinez battle alive will definately be better than Zac Lee throughout their career. I believe that they are both going to get on the field and make some big time plays this year. But with those plays are going to come moments of complete and utter stupidity that can be attributed to inexperience. With that said I want the most steady QB that is not going to make stupid mistakes and ruin it for us. We all know that the strength of this team is our defense. With that said I believe that Bo and Watson will throw the most steady QB out there that gives us the best chance to win, while not putting us in situations that will lose the game.

Which is interesting, because that's what we saw with Lee last year, but so many people seem to not want to attribute this to first-year growing pains or injury or crappy O Line or any of the other things we know were going on, but rather solely to Lee's inability to run the offense. On the flip side, they seem to be willing to allow for those same growing pains this year from first-year starters Green and/or Martinez. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

• Fire 3

I highly... highly doubt this. If Taylor had quit , he would have been shown the door.

Agreed. It's not like the cupboard is bare at QB, or so badly depleted that we HAVE TO have Martinez. He's a talent, for sure, but I imagine if he'd have pulled a stunt like this, Bo would have booted him.

Martinez leaves and we still have Lee this year, two more years of Cody, a year or two of Brion Carnes after that, and a year or two of Jamal Turner after that. If Lee gets hurt this year we go to Cody, if Cody gets hurt we go to Washington and lean on the zone read and our DEF.

Any way you slice it, it seems highly unlikely that we would in any way feel the need to kowtow to one QB like this. We are not hurting for talent at QB.

Agreed. It's not like the cupboard is bare at QB, or so badly depleted that we HAVE TO have Martinez. He's a talent, for sure, but I imagine if he'd have pulled a stunt like this, Bo would have booted him.

Martinez leaves and we still have Lee this year, two more years of Cody, a year or two of Brion Carnes after that, and a year or two of Jamal Turner after that. If Lee gets hurt this year we go to Cody, if Cody gets hurt we go to Washington and lean on the zone read and our DEF.

Any way you slice it, it seems highly unlikely that we would in any way feel the need to kowtow to one QB like this. We are not hurting for talent at QB.

Without knowing the particulars of a situation, it's hard to say why it would be unlikely. I don't doubt that plenty of guys in the program have questioned their commitment or thought about quitting or leaving at one point. Even Suh did. And Okafor, didn't he quit and then return? I don't think Bo will take this hard line with kids who have been in the program. He'll give them chances.

This is what a Rivals insider mentioned, so I think it actually is more likely to be correct than not. I take their opinions and projections with a grain of salt, but on the facts, they probably have the right info more often than not.

This argument is a wash guys, Bronson Marsh is obviously going to be the starter by game 1

Very wise gmoose.

To the question posed about why Lee waz played with an injury. It should be obvious, the stafff was more comfortable with an injured lee to man the offence than they were with Green or Washington. Says a lot.

Without knowing the particulars of a situation, it's hard to say why it would be unlikely. I don't doubt that plenty of guys in the program have questioned their commitment or thought about quitting or leaving at one point. Even Suh did. And Okafor, didn't he quit and then return? I don't think Bo will take this hard line with kids who have been in the program. He'll give them chances.

This is what a Rivals insider mentioned, so I think it actually is more likely to be correct than not. I take their opinions and projections with a grain of salt, but on the facts, they probably have the right info more often than not.

Rivals insiders have been known to be as correct as many of the posters here, so that doesn't give me much hope that this is true. You've got a good point about Okafor, though. That puts a hole in my logic, doesn't it?

Very wise gmoose.

To the question posed about why Lee waz played with an injury. It should be obvious, the stafff was more comfortable with an injured lee to man the offence than they were with Green or Washington. Says a lot.

It does say alot. At somepoint the coaches questioned whether Lee can manage the game being injured. So thats why Green came in and started those 2 games. All it did was further prove the point the an injured Lee is better than healthy Green. So I imagine that a healthy Lee is head and shoulders above Green right now in the race. IMO Green is prob flirting with the #3 job right now.