QB Race

if its true, and i have reason to believe it is, then there are going to be a lot of upset ppl on here

You're probably right, but there shouldn't be any upset people here. The guy who starts is going to be the guy who impressed the coaches the most in practice.

I would not say COACHES. I would say coach, but it is the only one that really matters.

If Taylor starts, and it seems more and more likely he will, this is completely Bo's decision and his alone. Really gonna be one of the first major decisions Bo has made on his own that can affect his career for the good or the bad.

Wow, you've really changed your tune on this one. Have you heard anything other than the standard media stories?

if its true, and i have reason to believe it is, then there are going to be a lot of upset ppl on here

You're probably right, but there shouldn't be any upset people here. The guy who starts is going to be the guy who impressed the coaches the most in practice.

I would not say COACHES. I would say coach, but it is the only one that really matters.

If Taylor starts, and it seems more and more likely he will, this is completely Bo's decision and his alone. Really gonna be one of the first major decisions Bo has made on his own that can affect his career for the good or the bad.

Are you saying that Pelini is the lone coach on the staff who's impressed enough with Martinez to give him a shot? That Watson, the OC, would be uncomfortable or even against the decision?

If that's what you're saying, I'm more than a little amazed.

Every choice affects his career Willie.

I really do not think it is that big of a deal. We seem to be making it a big deal, but is the team?

Bo will start who has shown to be the best in practice, and that will be decided by all that make that choice. I seriously doubt Bo will go against what the group feels is the best overall for Nebraska, but he could.

I think it is a lot of hooey over nothing. We will be fine with whoever they choose and if not the other will get his shot. No big deal. The running backs are going to win it for us this year anyway.

My thinking is if Lee starts we continue to be more balanced, if Martinez starts we are moving back to a running team. I will be happy eiether way.

I like Lee for what he went through last year, but I also like the fact that Marinez played in one of the cities where I work and is from my local area. I am so peeved I did not see him play in High School. But was following our hometown team too close his last year.

IMO, Bo should not be overriding Watson on this decision. Stick to coaching the defense...honestly. And let your OC do his job. I understand the HC is more than just a DC, but Bo's not the expert QB talent evaluator.

Right, it's understood that the final decision is always Bo's, but he's not going to go into that decision without input from Watson and the rest of the staff.

Of course he would ask for input, but ultimately, it is his sole decision because at the end of the day he will be the man held responsible.

I will flatly say there are offensive coaches who do not agree with Bo, at all.

But Bo loves Taylor's ability to change the game with his feet and the way he will force defenses to truly play 11-on-11 in the run game. He's willing to take some of the mistakes Taylor will make in the passing game just because he is so good on the field with his feet.

Basically, from here on, Taylor is the style of QB that Bo wants this offense to have and the type he will continue to recruit. If you cannot be a real weapon with your feet, you likely will not be at Nebraska playing QB.

While Zac is not a statue and neither is Cody, they are not a homerun threat on every play either like Taylor is when he takes off. That is the HUGE difference here.

Is not the first time Bo has disagreed with offensive coaches though, so it isn't a huge deal like I know someone will make it out to be. Bo wanted Cody to take over the job for good last year, but that never fully happened.

I will still hedge and say I am not fully convinced Taylor will start on Saturday, but I am slowly heading in that direction.

Basically, from here on, Taylor is the style of QB that Bo wants this offense to have and the type he will continue to recruit. If you cannot be a real weapon with your feet, you likely will not be at Nebraska playing QB.

While Zac is not a statue and neither is Cody, they are not a homerun threat on every play either like Taylor is when he takes off. That is the HUGE difference here.

Is not the first time Bo has disagreed with offensive coaches though, so it isn't a huge deal like I know someone will make it out to be. Bo wanted Cody to take over the job for good last year, but that never fully happened.

I'm actually pretty sad to hear all of this.

Let your offensive coaches do their job.

I love Bo's defensive acumen, but this sort of thing is really hard to get on board with.

Right, it's understood that the final decision is always Bo's, but he's not going to go into that decision without input from Watson and the rest of the staff.

Of course he would ask for input, but ultimately, it is his sole decision because at the end of the day he will be the man held responsible.

But Bo loves Taylor's ability to change the game with his feet and the way he will force defenses to truly play 11-on-11 in the run game. He's willing to take some of the mistakes Taylor will make in the passing game just because he is so good on the field with his feet.

I will still hedge and say I am not fully convinced Taylor will start on Saturday, but I am slowly heading in that direction.

Bo also admittedly made a mistake when he toned down the offense.

No coach is perfect, but I'm sure Bo isn't going to wildly make a decision without the most information he can gather.

Every choice affects his career Willie.

I really do not think it is that big of a deal. We seem to be making it a big deal, but is the team?

Bo will start who has shown to be the best in practice, and that will be decided by all that make that choice. I seriously doubt Bo will go against what the group feels is the best overall for Nebraska, but he could.

I think it is a lot of hooey over nothing. We will be fine with whoever they choose and if not the other will get his shot. No big deal. The running backs are going to win it for us this year anyway.

My thinking is if Lee starts we continue to be more balanced, if Martinez starts we are moving back to a running team. I will be happy eiether way.

I like Lee for what he went through last year, but I also like the fact that Marinez played in one of the cities where I work and is from my local area. I am so peeved I did not see him play in High School. But was following our hometown team too close his last year.

Very true. Bo overriding coaches is not a big deal, and it is something that EVERY head coach in America will do quite a few times before their career is up. You have to make the hard decisions at points, and not everyone will always agree. That is why we put the HC tag on him to make hard decisions like this.

If he didn't make decisions like this, we may as well take the 'head coach' label from him and just have a group full of 'head coaches'.

Bo has made enough good decisions on players in his time here that he has earned the benefit of the doubt. And as much as everyone knows I'm not a huge fan of Taylor, I am willing to trust Bo on this and let it play out if this is really what he wants. Bo has definitely earned that right, IMO.

I love Bo's defensive acumen, but this sort of thing is really hard to get on board with.

Why? Did you not follow Nebraska at any time prior to 2004?

There are very few head coaches that don't dictate the general direction of both the offense and the defense. The coordinators are there to do what the head coach wants.

I guess I dont understand why you are sad. It is unfortunate that the coaches arent all on the same page. But I dont find it sad that Bo is looking for a certain type of player and mentality. It is afterall...his team. He is building it the way he wants it, not the way the assistants want it. I certainly think he should let the offensive coaches handle the play calling and most personel groupings, but there are times Bo will need to make an executive decision. Its much like being a president or CEO. There are going to be disagreements and certain times the head honcho is going to have to make decisions, you just hope his judgement is better than yours.

There are very few head coaches that don't dictate the general direction of both the offense and the defense. The coordinators are there to do what the head coach wants.

True, but I think some things should be delegated to those who have the expertise. Why ignore the QB evaluation of Shawn Watson? Why handicap what kind of guy he gets to recruit and what kind of offense he gets to run? I think for me, it's mostly the image I have of Bo as a defensive guy. He is the head coach, but will he make the right call in going against true offensive guys for the starting QB? It makes little sense to say, "Here's my starter, no matter what - now you figure the rest out." It would make more sense if Bo were both an offense and defense minded guy, and intimately involved with both the O and the D. But it doesn't quite seem like that.

Shrug. We'll see how it plays out. Bo has done quite a lot of good here, but I'm not sure he's earned the benefit of the doubt in terms of evaluating a QB, over Shawn Watson.

I guess I dont understand why you are sad. It is unfortunate that the coaches arent all on the same page. But I dont find it sad that Bo is looking for a certain type of player and mentality. It is afterall...his team. He is building it the way he wants it, not the way the assistants want it.

My own stylistic bias bleeding through. I loved the option back in the day, but I love the multiple WCO we've had since 2004 and I strongly believe in it. But you're right - that's just my bias for the kind of offense I want to see us running. I hope his judgment's better than mine, too.

In '04, when Solich was fired, I was skeptical of the WCO. I hated to see the option go and really believed in that, too. So I guess I'm sort of a stickler for the status quo.

True, but I think some things should be delegated to those who have the expertise. Why ignore the QB evaluation of Shawn Watson? Why handicap what kind of guy he gets to recruit and what kind of offense he gets to run? I think for me, it's mostly the image I have of Bo as a defensive guy. He is the head coach, but will he make the right call in going against true offensive guys for the starting QB? It makes little sense to say, "Here's my starter, no matter what - now you figure the rest out." It would make more sense if Bo were both an offense and defense minded guy, and intimately involved with both the O and the D. But it doesn't quite seem like that.

Shrug. We'll see how it plays out. Bo has done quite a lot of good here, but I'm not sure he's earned the benefit of the doubt in terms of evaluating a QB, over Shawn Watson.

I guess I dont understand why you are sad. It is unfortunate that the coaches arent all on the same page. But I dont find it sad that Bo is looking for a certain type of player and mentality. It is afterall...his team. He is building it the way he wants it, not the way the assistants want it.

My own stylistic bias bleeding through. I loved the option back in the day, but I love the multiple WCO we've had since 2004 and I strongly believe in it. But you're right - that's just my bias for the kind of offense I want to see us running. I hope his judgment's better than mine, too.

In '04, when Solich was fired, I was skeptical of the WCO. I hated to see the option go and really believed in that, too. So I guess I'm sort of a stickler for the status quo.

Whose to say him and Shawn Watson are at odds? We dont know that they are. Maybe they are on the same page and it is Barney Cotton he is at odds with.

It isn't really something to get overly worried about. You can look at our QB recruiting and notice the type of QB that Bo wants, and is getting.

The only thing I do not like is that we are evolving to this other offense when our OC is not the type of guy who is used to running this style of offense. But it is what it is.

In Bo's mind, and as others have stated, it boils down to do you want a game changer or a game manager. Zac isn't going to make the silly turnover that Taylor will do, but Taylor will make more big plays than the somewhat conservative Lee will.

The only thing that will tick me off royally is that if he goes with Taylor, he better have the leash long. Taylor will make stupid turnovers, but he will be putting him in there knowing this. If he makes a mistake, let him play through it, and continue to play through it over multiple games.

Fans and even Bo may get PO'd, but with a freshman QB who is still raw passing, you have to be willing to take the bad with the good and live with it by letting the kid grow.

You could point to other positions on the field like LT, and coaches have different opinions on Yoshi and Sirles. At DT with Moore and Steinkuhler. At LB with Martin and David. At safety with every-dang-body that is competing for those spots. Battles happen, and not every coach will agree. Not a big deal, at all.

On another board, a poster with a source that has proven reliable in the past is stating that T-Magic has practiced exlusively with the 1's so far this week, while Lee has practiced with the 1's and 2's. Take it FWIW.

I've seen this type of report a few different places as well. Maybe why Bo is playing things so close to the vest? Saturday can't get here fast enough...

He can't name one position without naming them all. And since he has said he's not releasing a depth chart, it doesn't make sense to proclaim a starter at quarterback now.