QB Race

Where are you sept. 4th?

Here to the huskers starting QB against WKU :cheers

Go get em Zac Lee -or- Cody Green -or- Taylor Martinez

in no particular order <_<

:yeah

Anyone else beside me upset that we have to wait until 6pm for this game to start?

Just sleep in nice and late. I plan on not getting up till 11, shower and eat my "breakfast", and be dressed by noon.

Then, I really only have about 4 hours to kill before I walk to the stadium.

Food for thought, if T-Mart does start because Bo wants his qb to be a real running threat, will that cause the passing game to faulter? It seems to me that T-Mart isn't nearly as good of a passer as Lee, would it lead to teams stacking the box like they did against NU in the 80's and 90's? If so, I don't think that this O-Line could handle the challenge like the lines of those days.

It could make our offense look even worse than last year's.

Tom Shatel writes that a QB rotation throughout the Western Kentucky game is likely. Not only that, but that we shouldn't expect to have a clear cut starter until the Washington game? I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it's time for our coaching staff to evaluate this position and stick with the guy that gives us a the best chance to win. Why should that be changing each week? Somebody has to be better than all the others. There is purely no way that these 3 our equally capable of accomplishing our offensive goals. Now if it's Zac Lee, then put him out there for his senior year and let him take the reins. If they are actually willing to make the change to Cody Green or Martinez then it has to be because these guys have earned the chance. It isn't helping Zac Lee's mentality if these coaches continually pull him and see if another guy can do it better. I mean, how would you feel if you went to work every day and your boss keeps testing another guy in your place to see if he can do your job better than you? So if he doesn't do better, then the boss says 'nope, he's not the guy, I'll let you keep your job til' I find the next guy to replace you with'. You could say the same for Martinez. If Martinez gets the "starting job" and he makes a mistake or two and we yank him out of there......what does that do for his confidence. How would he feel about the coaches confidence in him.

Many different sports radio stations are viewing this QB debate as a sign of weakness. Most are saying that it's ridiculous to think that we haven't had a decision because they are all just so darn good. Most think we are heading into this season with high expectations but can't even find someone to play QB? I think we do have someone that can take this offense and not only make Nebraska competitive, but can probably take us to the top. But I am afraid if we do too much "ring around the rosy"........how will this QB and his teammates settle in and adapt to each others style. I'm hoping the decision is already made and we have "THE GUY" to get it done.

A different angle to look at Pelini's "circus" comment:

Is it possible that Green is going to get the start, but since Martinez is getting all the "unearned" hype and Lee was the starter last year, the media and fans would wonder "what the hell are they thinking?!!!"

Green does not need to be beaten down by "disappointed" people two days before the game. Not naming him publicly allows him to go out and show everyone why he is the starter without the "circus" weighing on his mind for the next 72 hours.

I just feel like people are casting Green to the side and assuming it will be either Lee or Martinez.

I've been following this thread since Post 1, I thought Lee would/should start but my gut feeling now says Martinez will start.

I also have this to say about the whole annoyance of this topic and leading up until Saturday, we should support whoever is out there until things prove otherwise.

With that being said:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG!!!!!!!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!

:bonez:thumbs:restore:koolaid2::bigredn::throwdabones1:

Tom Shatel writes that a QB rotation throughout the Western Kentucky game is likely. Not only that, but that we shouldn't expect to have a clear cut starter until the Washington game? I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it's time for our coaching staff to evaluate this position and stick with the guy that gives us a the best chance to win. Why should that be changing each week? Somebody has to be better than all the others. There is purely no way that these 3 our equally capable of accomplishing our offensive goals. Now if it's Zac Lee, then put him out there for his senior year and let him take the reins. If they are actually willing to make the change to Cody Green or Martinez then it has to be because these guys have earned the chance. It isn't helping Zac Lee's mentality if these coaches continually pull him and see if another guy can do it better. I mean, how would you feel if you went to work every day and your boss keeps testing another guy in your place to see if he can do your job better than you? So if he doesn't do better, then the boss says 'nope, he's not the guy, I'll let you keep your job til' I find the next guy to replace you with'. You could say the same for Martinez. If Martinez gets the "starting job" and he makes a mistake or two and we yank him out of there......what does that do for his confidence. How would he feel about the coaches confidence in him.

Many different sports radio stations are viewing this QB debate as a sign of weakness. Most are saying that it's ridiculous to think that we haven't had a decision because they are all just so darn good. Most think we are heading into this season with high expectations but can't even find someone to play QB? I think we do have someone that can take this offense and not only make Nebraska competitive, but can probably take us to the top. But I am afraid if we do too much "ring around the rosy"........how will this QB and his teammates settle in and adapt to each others style. I'm hoping the decision is already made and we have "THE GUY" to get it done.

I don't think it's a sign of weakness, or really even indecision. I think Bo knows who the guy is, but he's been saying over and over again, "We compete every day, the depth chart is fluid, no spot is safe." If he comes out a week or even a couple days before the game and says, "___________ is the starting QB," then he is directly contradicting the philosophy that he champions.

I don't think it's a sign of weakness, or really even indecision. I think Bo knows who the guy is, but he's been saying over and over again, "We compete every day, the depth chart is fluid, no spot is safe." If he comes out a week or even a couple days before the game and says, "___________ is the starting QB," then he is directly contradicting the philosophy that he champions.

A week or a couple days before what game? I don't expect him to announce a starter before the Western Kentucky game. The whole point of my rant was that we can wait and name that starter when he comes out for that game. But once we do it, then we should stick with him. If this guy has worked his butt off, earned it in practice, and shown the coaches all spring summer and fall that he is the guy.....then I think we name him the starter and we stick with him for a while. The guy couldn't be named the starter for the Western Kentucky game, Idaho game, and the lose it for the Washington game already could he?

To name a starter during preseason is very foolish in my mind. The way it sounds is that you don't have much experience with collegiate sports and how the mindset of these players works. This is isn't highschool football, players are constantly striving to get better and better and they won't stop until they gain that starting position. You may be right, "physically" someone probably has the tools to lead this team this season. The question is who wants it more and who is willing to push themselves and their talent every practice until they reach perfection and ultimately a starting position. What does naming a starter do for our team? In my opinion its harder on a player knowing they've lost the position battle even before the first game. Competition breads perfection and hardwork.