Wash Coach on Huskers

admo

Some highlights from the presser...

Linky Binky

Sark bites --- Nebraska edition

Posted by Bob Condotta

ON NEBRASKA: "I think this is probably a top 5 well coached team in America. i have the upmost respect for Bo Pelini and his staff and what they do in all three phases. Defensively, this is as sound a defense as I have seen in 10 years playing against really good teams. They are extremely sound, they play together, they play hard, they are all over you in the run game, they are all over you in routes. They do an excellent job of route reading, seeing which routes are coming, and jumping those routes, that's why they create so many turnovers, and offensively they've changed their approach some. They've got a freshman quarterback in Taylor Martinez that can really run. they spread you out and cause a lot of problems for you. We'll be counting on our crowd and our fans and we'll be counting on husky stadium as always when we're at home. I'm a big guy in looking at facts and trying to find things that really matter that we can give to our team and you look at our last three ball games at home our opponents have had 9 pre-snap penalties on offense in the last three ball games combined. That's 7 false starts and 2 delay of games and that's a tribute to our fans and the energy and enthusiasm they bring that not only does our team feed off of but also has an effect on our opponents. We'll be calling on all our Dawgs to bring it on Saturday.''

ON NEBRASKA'S SECONDARY: "The first thing they do is they play a lot of DBs. At times they'll have 7 DBs on the field together. and by doing that they are able to cover a lot of ground and they understand your route concepts really well. And when they know they go, which I think is a unique trait for a DB to have, and it seems like their entire secondary has it. When they know a route is coming they go get it and in turn that's how you end up getting five interceptions in a game.''

DO YOU EMBRACE THIS CHANCE TO GET SOME NATIONAL RECOGNITION IF YOU BEAT NEBRASKA? "I just went them to prepare very well and go out and prepare close to our abilities, if not at our capabilities. I'm not concerned about the exposure part of it. That comes with wins and wins over time and consistency over time. My concern is, I just want to see us maximize an opportunity. We've got to go out and play against a really good football team at Husky Stadium, in front of our fans and our friends and our family, and to perform in the way that we are capable of performing. I think if we do that, I don't know if that's necessarily going to result in a win or not -- they could perform that their abilities, and who knows what's going to happen. So I think the challenge for us is to embrace the opportunity and then prepare really well. And we've got to prepare really well today, and then worry about tomorrow tomorrow, and Wednesday Wednesday and Thursday Thursday and so on and so forth.

"I think that our team has gotten to that point. We've continually talked about that as we go on and on and continue to move forward as a program: Not to worry about the end results of a season. Don't worry about a bowl game. Don't worry about exposure. Don't worry about awards. Worry about the task at hand and what's in front of us. And this week it happens to be Nebraska."

ON THE UNIQUENESS OF NEBRASKA'S DEFENSE: "Well, they're a two-gap defense, and nobody in our conference really plays a two-gap defense, meaning their defensive tackles are playing two gaps, not one, where they're forcing a play. They'll sit and get their hands on offensive linemen. They're big, strong, powerful guys that have the ability to throw linemen to make their plays. And by doing so, they're able to play with a lot of two-high-safeties look, and they can cover down and double coverage guys and it makes it a tough task.''

ON WHAT TO DO SCHEMATICALLY AGAINST SEVEN DBS: "One, you'd like to think you have better odds of running the football, but they hold up pretty well. The minus is, they've got defensive backs not only covering your wide receivers but covering your tight ends and covering your running backs out of the backfield. So they're able to stay close to guys. There's not a lot of error, not a lot of room to throw balls. So there's a real onus on the quarterback to know what coverage it is and anticipate throws and be accurate.''

ON TAYLOR MARTINEZ: "Yeah, I knew him very well. We recruited him; we looked at him hard. He's a tremendous athlete. He led his high school team, Corona Centennial, to a state championship and a 15-0 season. He's a good football player. I actually was at the championship game, the one to win the CIF championship, I went to that ball game. He's a talented kid, a great athlete. I think it was somewhat of a steal for Nebraska because I think so many people viewed him as just an athlete, and possibly people were recruiting him as a safety or different position, and not just a quarterback. It's a credit to Coach Pellini and his staff to really view him as a quarterback. And he's turned out to be a nice player for him.''

DO YOU EMBRACE THIS CHANCE TO GET SOME NATIONAL RECOGNITION IF YOU BEAT NEBRASKA? "I just went them to prepare very well and go out and prepare close to our abilities, if not at our capabilities. I'm not concerned about the exposure part of it. That comes with wins and wins over time and consistency over time. My concern is, I just want to see us maximize an opportunity. We've got to go out and play against a really good football team at Husky Stadium, in front of our fans and our friends and our family, and to perform in the way that we are capable of performing. I think if we do that, I don't know if that's necessarily going to result in a win or not -- they could perform that their abilities, and who knows what's going to happen. So I think the challenge for us is to embrace the opportunity and then prepare really well. And we've got to prepare really well today, and then worry about tomorrow tomorrow, and Wednesday Wednesday and Thursday Thursday and so on and so forth.

"I think that our team has gotten to that point. We've continually talked about that as we go on and on and continue to move forward as a program: Not to worry about the end results of a season. Don't worry about a bowl game. Don't worry about exposure. Don't worry about awards. Worry about the task at hand and what's in front of us. And this week it happens to be Nebraska."

His comments almost sound as if he's accepting defeat before the game even starts.

We'll be counting on our crowd and our fans and we'll be counting on husky stadium as always when we're at home. I'm a big guy in looking at facts and trying to find things that really matter that we can give to our team and you look at our last three ball games at home our opponents have had 9 pre-snap penalties on offense in the last three ball games combined. That's 7 false starts and 2 delay of games and that's a tribute to our fans and the energy and enthusiasm they bring that not only does our team feed off of but also has an effect on our opponents. We'll be calling on all our Dawgs to bring it on Saturday.''

I don't like this, seeing how our OL has played the last couple of years, and the last two games, with all the mental lapses and penalties really has me worried.

I don't like this, seeing how our OL has played the last couple of years, and the last two games, with all the mental lapses and penalties really has me worried.

It all depends on how many Husker fans there are. They had 10,000 empty seats against Syracuse. If there are 10,000 Husker fans there, we can make some noise of our own.

His comments almost sound as if he's accepting defeat before the game even starts.

I thought the same thing. He sounds as if they aren't good enough to win, but they will give it a shot.

It's also obvious that he's nervous about out D, very nervous.

We'll be counting on our crowd and our fans and we'll be counting on husky stadium as always when we're at home. I'm a big guy in looking at facts and trying to find things that really matter that we can give to our team and you look at our last three ball games at home our opponents have had 9 pre-snap penalties on offense in the last three ball games combined. That's 7 false starts and 2 delay of games and that's a tribute to our fans and the energy and enthusiasm they bring that not only does our team feed off of but also has an effect on our opponents. We'll be calling on all our Dawgs to bring it on Saturday.''

I'm with you on that. Playing on the road, they def need to clean that up. Home teams that are underdogs love it when the visitor (and favorite) makes tons of mistakes. They build off of it, gain momentum, fans go nuts, and they start believing they can win. Fortunately we dont have to play perfect to win, but we do need to avoid making stupid costly penalties and turnovers.

I wouldn't get all excited by the coaches comments lauding our Huskers. If you heard Lou Holtz in the day of his best teams or before that Bear Bryant, their public comments about the opponent seemed that they didn't even belong on the same field as their powerful opponent. Most often they won, usually in a rout and then say the same thing the next week. He has reason to be concerned facing the Huskers, but you can bet he is looking forward to it and thinks they can win. Any wise coach will speak highly of the team they are about to play. It's also the classy thing to do, don't read much into it.

I thought the same thing. He sounds as if they aren't good enough to win, but they will give it a shot.

It's also obvious that he's nervous about out D, very nervous.

This is classic reverse psychology. Harbaugh at Stanford used the same types of speeches the first year he was there referring to USC and how good they were. Stanford won that game in a HUGE upset. I very much doubt Sark thinks his team will lose.

It all depends on how many Husker fans there are. They had 10,000 empty seats against Syracuse. If there are 10,000 Husker fans there, we can make some noise of our own.

Yes, I want to see how many Husker fans show up, if there's a huge number, lets hope they make noise.

ON TAYLOR MARTINEZ: "Yeah, I knew him very well. We recruited him; we looked at him hard. He's a tremendous athlete. He led his high school team, Corona Centennial, to a state championship and a 15-0 season. He's a good football player. I actually was at the championship game, the one to win the CIF championship, I went to that ball game. He's a talented kid, a great athlete. I think it was somewhat of a steal for Nebraska because I think so many people viewed him as just an athlete, and possibly people were recruiting him as a safety or different position, and not just a quarterback. It's a credit to Coach Pellini and his staff to really view him as a quarterback. And he's turned out to be a nice player for him."

Sounds like they were pretty serious about recruiting on T-Mart. Too bad. We got him. :)

The gaps are the spaces between offensive linemen. In a one-gap system the D Tackle will line up in front of one of these gaps and control the linemen on either side of it, plus the RB if he comes through that gap. That gap is the D Tackle's sole responsibility. If it's a pass play he's supposed to shoot that gap and put pressure on the QB, while also controlling his gap.

In a two-gap system the D Tackle lines up on an O Lineman, typically a Guard but sometimes the Center, and controls the two gaps on either side of the guy he's in front of. Same responsibilities apply. Because these guys are, by design, tangling with the offensive linemen, they must be stronger than a one-gap DT. This frees up the linebackers to shoot the gaps while the O Line is occupied and make tackles, whether those are sacks or knocking down RBs.