The Niles Paul Thread

I hate to call out an individual player, but after 4 games, the guy has been pretty much non existent (save down field blocking). He has dropped the ball more than Ozzy has dropped acid and hasn't looked good on a single kick/punt return. After watching several punt returns, it seems like he runs right to the defender and lowers a shoulder. Before the season started I really thought he was going to step his game up, but thus far, Kinnie has upstaged him.

What turned Niles Paul into Niles Fum-Paul?

I hate to call out an individual player, but after 4 games, the guy has been pretty much non existent (save down field blocking). He has dropped the ball more than Ozzy has dropped acid and hasn't looked good on a single kick/punt return. After watching several punt returns, it seems like he runs right to the defender and lowers a shoulder. Before the season started I really thought he was going to step his game up, but thus far, Kinnie has upstaged him.

What turned Niles Paul into Niles Fum-Paul?

This entire year has gone just like the Clemson bowl game for Niles.

The ship has sailed in my opinion with Niles Paul. The kid just can not get out of his own way. He has all of the athletic ability in the world but he just can not stay out of his own way. The only player that has ever stopped Niles Paul is Niles Paul. I hate to do it as well, but it is time to put up or shut up for him.

• Fire 1

Fumbling punt returns is a momentum changer. It can cost you a ballgame even. Despite some good open field running on punt returns, they should look for someone else to handle it.

I like Niles. I think he is tough and can make some pretty good plays on offense. It just seems that he has to be heavily involved to get better during the game. And we dont throw it as often as we used to. I dont know, but I wont count him out just yet, specifically on offense. And I want him out there because he is damn capable of making plays.

But returning punts? Its done. Has to change. One touchdown returned is not worth the breath I hold each kick so there is no fumble.. or misjudging the sidelines.. or if he just catch it or let it go over his head. All of it.

Just wait for it, right when he gets to the point where it seems like we'd be better off without him on the field, he'll rip off 100+ return yards and a TD and have 250 total yards with a couple of TDs.

I'm putting my money on him having a HUGE game at KSU, thus furthering the frustration with Niles Paul. Dude is the most frustrating player I can remember watching in an NU uniform. ALL the talent in the world, yet is in lala land most of the time.

When fundamentals aren't letting a player correctly hold the football, then it becomes a mental game on 9/10 fumbles.

More likely than not, Paul is trying to do far too much with the opportunities he gets. Which, in turn, leads to the assumption that he has a bit of a hot head and is trying to be impressive rather than be natural.

This early in the season he's had a very high percentage of mistakes/opportunities. You want to say he'll get it fixed, but he's a senior, and every time he touches the ball I've gotten in the habit of assuming he's going to put it on the turf. Whatever is going on with him, there comes a point where your lack of production added to your mistakes gets you a spot on the pine.

I'd also like to add maybe Taylor has more chemistry with Kinnie and I'm sure defenses are paying more attention to Paul then any other receiver. I'll go on record to say he will pick us his play in conference play. when the teams are more familiar with us and realize that you cannot just focus on Niles

Everyone was saying the same thing before the Mizzou game. Guys don't worry, he will come around, I think that this off week comes at a very good time for him. This break should give him time to regain any lost confidence and I expect him to have a big game coming off an off week like he did last year against Mizzou.

a) maybe you guys didin't see the Mizery game last year...

b ) wouldn't we need at least a semblance of a vertical passing game for NP to be a scoring threat?

c) he will break a big return in a big game this year, mark it down.

At this point we're not asking for him to be a scoring threat. We're asking him to hang on to the stupid football when he gets it. One step at a time.