The Niles Paul Thread

Somebody who knows anything about the south (bama) want to give the mods a quick refresher. You canstart with auburn coaching & from there bring up the stars & bars.

The only thing questionable is whether you know a thing about their culture.

Try getting out of Norfolk every couple years. WTF?

Its getting kind of old that everyone continues to rip this kid! Move on! yes he had a bad game but at the end of the day he is a HUSKER. If you you feel the need to keep bashing this guy find another team because he is a HUSKER! With all of the things that went wrong its sad that people spend their time treating this guy like garbage. Im a huge bo supporter but we have to be honest mack brown had the better prepared coaching staff and team. We had too many mental errors and costly mistakes but to continually single this guy out is trash! Everyone loves to brag that we have the best fans, i think its time to act like it and stop kicking this guy while he is down.

Why did we get rid of the 'Minus' button again?

Because we're just fans hiding on a message board. We can't take the criticism.

Its getting kind of old that everyone continues to rip this kid! Move on! yes he had a bad game but at the end of the day he is a HUSKER. If you you feel the need to keep bashing this guy find another team because he is a HUSKER! With all of the things that went wrong its sad that people spend their time treating this guy like garbage. Im a huge bo supporter but we have to be honest mack brown had the better prepared coaching staff and team. We had too many mental errors and costly mistakes but to continually single this guy out is trash! Everyone loves to brag that we have the best fans, i think its time to act like it and stop kicking this guy while he is down.

Why did we get rid of the 'Minus' button again?

Because we're just fans hiding on a message board. We can't take the criticism.

That and it was getting abused when new posters had a bad take on something. We had one guy who never posted here again because he had one misplaced opinion and was in the negatives in reputation.

I dont post very often but I feel compelled to do so over this thread. First I don't agree with fans attacking Niles or his family after the game, that was wrong on the fans part. And I would agree with most of you that the posts here are really not that bad compared to what they could be.

Secondly, I can remember last season when Niles dropped a few balls in the ISU game and we as fans have dealt with his two alcohol offenses. Niles is a senior this season with aspirations of one day playing in the NFL. If he has any hopes of making it at the next level then he should learn to grow up pretty fast. We all know the NFL fans are nothing like college fans, they'll get real nasty with him. Stating in the media that you want more touches and having two offenses for alcohol demonstrates to me that he wants to act like an adult, or believes that he is. Then he should own up to his mistakes and be a man.

If you're gonna stand infront of the spotlight and demand more balls come your way then be prepared for the backlash if you're not going to produce.

With all of the criticism he has received over the years I can also remember being very happy with him catching an important pass or two against Mizzou and Arizona last year. I'm sure there were a few threads about him catching the pass against Arizona and flexing when he scored. I know I enjoyed it when he did it.

In my opinion, its all relative...

I'm just glad this is his last season. I've given up on this guy. I'll await the last game of this season and be glad when he is gone. He won't be on any of my fantasy football teams in the NFL, should one of them see "potential" in him. To me, his "potential" is all but used up and he is a liability and a weak link. I can't blame his mistakes on the coaches ... he just doesn't get it and can't handle the pressure of big time ball. Perhaps he thinks he is so talented that he doesn't have to try or care ... but in the end ... deep down I think his pride is so great that he fears the moment ... and thus the "choke" in the moment and lack of concentration.

SheepdogMark

You know this is pretty big deal when SheepdogMark is lossing faith in Paul :lol:

Ok here is my take on the Niles Paul article where he was verbally attacked by some fans

Being Possitive:

After reading the articles I feel bad for Niles Paul in a way because no college athlete should have to face that in their young career not matter how HORRIBLE Paul played that day. Sure its alright to talk bad about Paul on message boards, to your family, friends, etc but to do it in his face and around his family is rude and disrespectful. I would never approach a player after a home loss and down grade his performance while verbally assaulting him because thats not going to change the outcome of the game or his performance or will it build up his confidence. Paul needs to brush this aside and start thinking about and preparing for Oklahoma State.

Being Negative:

What I got out of those articles was a sense of feel sorry for me. First Paul calls out Watson to throw him the ball more pulling a Terrell Owens/Chad Ochocinco act and when the opportunity presents itself Paul F's up big time. He makes himself look like a bigger ass by calling out his coach and then dropping all those passes and now he's calling out fans who were saying stuff to him that he should already be feeling himself at least I would hope so. It still doesn't give the right to kick a player down when he's already down in the dirt but Paul really shouldn't have brought this up because he should be focusing on Okie State instead of what some fans said after a game. Besides the rude comments Paul heard I didn't like the comment he said about how he doesn't play for the fans.....REALLY? Did he just say that? I understand what he's saying but people pay damn good money to invest in season tickets, Husker appearal, Husker merchandise, etc. These players play for their coaches, teammates, family, and mostly the state of Nebraska which includes us fans. They play for that N on the side of their helmet and Paul should know this first hand as he is a Omaha, Nebraska native and he knew what he was getting himself into. If Paul expects to play in the NFL, getting verbally abused by some college students isn't as bad as what he'll experence in the next level so he better grow some thicker skin or get used to it because NFL fans are 100x worse than College fans.

Being Negative:

What I got out of those articles was a sense of feel sorry for me. First Paul calls out Watson to throw him the ball more pulling a Terrell Owens/Chad Ochocinco act and when the opportunity presents itself Paul F's up big time. He makes himself look like a bigger ass by calling out his coach and then dropping all those passes and now he's calling out fans who were saying stuff to him that he should already be feeling himself at least I would hope so. It still doesn't give the right to kick a player down when he's already down in the dirt but Paul really shouldn't have brought this up because he should be focusing on Okie State instead of what some fans said after a game. Besides the rude comments Paul heard I didn't like the comment he said about how he doesn't play for the fans.....REALLY? Did he just say that? I understand what he's saying but people pay damn good money to invest in season tickets, Husker appearal, Husker merchandise, etc. These players play for their coaches, teammates, family, and mostly the state of Nebraska which includes us fans. They play for that N on the side of their helmet and Paul should know this first hand as he is a Omaha, Nebraska native and he knew what he was getting himself into. If Paul expects to play in the NFL, getting verbally abused by some college students isn't as bad as what he'll experence in the next level so he better grow some thicker skin or get used to it because NFL fans are 100x worse than College fans.

You bring up some valid and interesting points there. Paul did somewhat bring this criticism upon himself for expressing his feelings. Did he deserve the backlash he got? No.

That said, I don't pity Paul the way I did O'Hanlon last year. In one had, you had O'Hanlon, who was depressed and in tears following what happened in the VaTech game. That said, O'Hanlon was a very humble guy, kept his mouth shut, and worked to be better.

In the other hand, you have Paul. First, his personality and aura generally gives people the impression he is anything but humble, and his first reaction following his experience with threats and derogatory remarks is to call the fans out about it.

All I can hope is that Paul uses this as motivation to get his mind right and play football.

Ok here is my take on the Niles Paul article where he was verbally attacked by some fans

Being Possitive:

After reading the articles I feel bad for Niles Paul in a way because no college athlete should have to face that in their young career not matter how HORRIBLE Paul played that day. Sure its alright to talk bad about Paul on message boards, to your family, friends, etc but to do it in his face and around his family is rude and disrespectful. I would never approach a player after a home loss and down grade his performance while verbally assaulting him because thats not going to change the outcome of the game or his performance or will it build up his confidence. Paul needs to brush this aside and start thinking about and preparing for Oklahoma State.

Being Negative:

it's pretty simple really, as soon as you open up your mouth and complain about not getting the ball enough, you better come through when they throw it your way or STFU!

Don't make the mistake of thinking I don't agree with you that there is much to criticize him about. I just want to make sure he's being criticized of things he's really owns. I will also never agree that players give fans an excuse to act poorly. Everyone should own their own mistakes.

This I agree with 100%, and it makes me wonder why we're talking about this as if we're on opposite sides of the fence.

Players should take criticism as well as praise for their failures and their accomplishments. I think everyone agrees with this.

Players should not be threatened, coerced, made the target of racism, etc, ESPECIALLY in their private lives. I think we all agree on this as well.

That said, I'm not sure what we're disagreeing about.

In response to the article about Niles being heckled after the game ...

Ya, they call these people "fans". I don't personally.

I'm a fan ... and Niles has been a major disappointment. Now as a Senior he is a bust.

Lets just be done with him ... don't taunt him .... just let him move on. Personally, I'm dead to him. I know what I'm gonna get from him ... if he does something good with the rest of his season ... that's a bonus.

Good luck in life Niles ... you are much like the player in Rudy who the coach gives up on and says, "you just summed up your whole pathetic career in one play". "I wish we could put Rudy's heart in my other players."

SheepdogMark

I'd be very very surprised if Niles Paul ever gets to experience the wrath of fans for any NFL team.

If he under-performs like this the rest of the year then I think it is a safe bet that he will not be drafted. He has shown nothing this year making him deserving of being an NFL WR and guys like A.J. Green make Paul look pop-warner.

I must admit one thing, though. I have been watching Paul when he is blocking down field and he is doing significantly better this year.