Stadium Expansion

Yeah, it would have been tricky and added to the cost, scope, and timeline of the project for sure. But, that's why the engineers get paid, to figure that stuff out. KSU is building a whole new addition with luxury suites and new press box in one offseason (including the demolition of the old press box), so I'm sure they could have figured something out.

Reminded me of the saying I heard about engineering projects. You can have it done right, on time, or on budget. Pick two.

So I know we have all been wondering. Has anybody heard whether or not they will be replacing the turf? Now that spring football is over I would imagine we would find out soon.

Sean Callahan mentioned yesterday that they usually replace it every 6 years and this summer will be the 6th year. So we can expect it to be replaced this summer, but that is just based on previous knowledge, not on anything he has seen in the plans

So I know we have all been wondering. Has anybody heard whether or not they will be replacing the turf? Now that spring football is over I would imagine we would find out soon.

Sean Callahan mentioned yesterday that they usually replace it every 6 years and this summer will be the 6th year. So we can expect it to be replaced this summer, but that is just based on previous knowledge, not on anything he has seen in the plans

The 2012 season was the 8th season on that field. It was installed prior to the 2005 season.

I took my son down for halftime yesterday. We also spent some time over on the practice field for the pavilion. The stadium field needs it bad. It is in very poor shape compared to the practice field.

It worries me that we haven't heard any official word on this because of how desperately the field needs replaced.

Well, it depends on how you approach it. A real possibility is that they will be replacing the turf but nothing will be changing on the field. The logos, wordmarks, and multi-turf would all stay the same. Think about it, when they put new turf in before 1999, the big story was that it was moving from AstroTurf to FieldTurf. When they replaced it before 2005, the big story was changing the wordmarks up and using the multi-turf. So if they don't change anything, there's no real 'story' here so it'll be changed quietly and without any fanfare. Kind of surprising for Nebraska. :P

It worries me that we haven't heard any official word on this because of how desperately the field needs replaced.

Well, it depends on how you approach it. A real possibility is that they will be replacing the turf but nothing will be changing on the field. The logos, wordmarks, and multi-turf would all stay the same. Think about it, when they put new turf in before 1999, the big story was that it was moving from AstroTurf to FieldTurf. When they replaced it before 2005, the big story was changing the wordmarks up and using the multi-turf. So if they don't change anything, there's no real 'story' here so it'll be changed quietly and without any fanfare. Kind of surprising for Nebraska. :P

Even if the design was entirely the same, it's desperately needed and you would THINK they would mention that it's something that will be happening, especially with everything else being done/talked about.

Our turf is supposed to have a life-time of 7-9 years, according to one of my engineering friends. And it clearly needs changed, so if it isn't replaced this year, it will be next year.

I don't think it deserves to be made into a big deal, or any bigger of a deal than a short mention or note in a LJS/OWH article. Its really a non-issue. Its either getting replaced this year or next, I don't think UNL needs to go out of their way to say anything.

Our turf is supposed to have a life-time of 7-9 years, according to one of my engineering friends. And it clearly needs changed, so if it isn't replaced this year, it will be next year.

I don't think it deserves to be made into a big deal, or any bigger of a deal than a short mention or note in a LJS/OWH article. Its really a non-issue. Its either getting replaced this year or next, I don't think UNL needs to go out of their way to say anything.

I'm not saying they need to say anything or notify anyone. It's just a simple fact that when it gets done, it will be noticed, it will be reported, and it will be talked about. Just like ANYTHING else involving our football program. Hence, it will not go unnoticed.

In the video above it says they are planning to wrap up the expansion about July 1st, so there is still 3 months before they would likely start doing the turf. And I think we also discussed before that it doesn't take more than a month to complete so nobody freak out yet.