Stadium Expansion

Did anyone else notice that with the expansion finally being all closed up the funny tricks the wind was playing with the baloons when they were released. It just happen to catch my attention that I've never seen the baloons act the way they did, even on the windiest of days, before that upper deck was there. It's like they couldnt get up and out of the stadium.

Or was I on crack?

I remember a game in the last 4 or 5 years where is was fairly windy and the ballons didn't leave for a good 5 or 10 minutes. About once a year some of them will blow back down towards the field on a windy day. But with predominatley western winds in Nebraska they probably will be butting up against the east expansion now.

Here's our official word on the turf being replaced.

Memorial Stadium is all gussied up for 2013 with a new look on its east side. But what about the playing surface? Is change coming?

Soon perhaps. Just not as soon as this year.

According to John Ingram, Nebraska's associate athletic director for capital planning and construction, the topic of potentially replacing the stadium's turf next year will come up.

“While our field has held up well, we will discuss the possibility of replacing the Memorial Stadium FieldTurf, along with many other potential capital projects for 2014, during budget discussions," Ingram said. "But no final decisions have been made at this time.”

More at the link above.

Christopherson clarified that article a little just now on the twitter:

Brian Christopherson@HuskerExtraBC

Don't expect new turf in Memorial Stadium this season. But a new surface might be on the way in 2014...

This will be the ninth season for the current Memorial Stadium turf. The lifespan on FieldTurf is usually around 10 years.

That said, Nebraska replaced its first batch of FieldTurf in 2005 after just six seasons.

On the turf, a clarification: NU officials say 2014 reference in story was in reference to fiscal year. That begins in July. ...

So change to turf this year, they say, is still possible for 2013. But no decision for a few weeks.

Christopherson clarified that article a little just now on the twitter:

Brian Christopherson@HuskerExtraBC

Don't expect new turf in Memorial Stadium this season. But a new surface might be on the way in 2014...

This will be the ninth season for the current Memorial Stadium turf. The lifespan on FieldTurf is usually around 10 years.

That said, Nebraska replaced its first batch of FieldTurf in 2005 after just six seasons.

On the turf, a clarification: NU officials say 2014 reference in story was in reference to fiscal year. That begins in July. ...

So change to turf this year, they say, is still possible for 2013. But no decision for a few weeks.

And the plot thickens...

FieldTurf's Cost Analysis page says $750K but that seems awfully low.

I'd guess at least $1 million, if not $1.5 million.

I think you also have to factor in the cost of your image if you don't replace it and have several nationally-televised games with that shoddy surface.

EDIT - here's a quick convo about this from the Twitter:

knapplc@knapplc 11m

@HuskerTapes @HuskerExtraBC FieldTurf's Cost Analysis says $750k, but that seems awfully low.

Brian Christopherson@HuskerExtraBC 8m

@knapplc @HuskerTapes It usually is cheaper to replace it then install it after you've had the base work done.

Sean Callahan @Sean_Callahan 5m

.@HuskerExtraBC It needs to happen.If you can spend $63.5 million on the East expansion, $500k for field turf should be a drop in the bucket

Paul Jake Jacobsen@HuskerTapes 4m

@HuskerExtraBC @knapplc 2005 replacing a 10yr field after 6 yrs, no doubt due to superior athletic director decision making.

knapplc@knapplc 2m

@HuskerExtraBC @HuskerTapes How long does replacement take? Fan Day is 8/3, first game is four weeks later. That a big enough window?

Regarding my last question, that's mostly rhetorical - I can't imagine it would take more than a week or two to replace that surface, presuming the base is in good shape.