Stadium Expansion

- move all students to south stadium below the railing (row 40?) and cut off the lower level there

- add a deck of suites with seating in front of them

Students are upset now - imagine having to sit behind the suites and not being able to see the field :lol:

Edit: reading comprehension fail - did not see the word with

I like the idea. But man, you're asking a lot of the guys who pay their donation level who are Row 1 in South Stadium to move for students. It will be tough to beat how close to the action they are.

However, moving students closer like that means that they'll actually show up, I'm all for it.

Whatever is going to be done, they need to do something with South Stadium. It's becoming a harder sell year by year. Having been obsessed with (and studied) Stadium design for as long as I remember, it's hard to get worse for the fan experience than Memorial Stadium's South Stadium. Concourse area is ridiculously far from the fans. You practically miss a quarter just to use the restrooms. That's almost unacceptable. I know people are going to say "real fans stay in their seats the whole game". I fully agree with that, as I never miss a play. But it's hard to NOT use the restroom over a 3-4 hour span of time.

Build an elevated concourse and lounge area under South Stadium. Create more entry/exit points that spread entry/exits throughout that area. Widen flippin seats and aisles (If not in the closer seats, at least in the 60+ rows).

I always loved sitting in South Stadium. It's where I sat as a student. It's a great place to watch a football game. But it needs to be better.

• Fire 1

Well, since it was brought up, I have a friend who is "in the know" as far as expansion and I chatted with him a few weeks he had some news about south stadium. I thought about bringing it up, but wasn't sure how public it was. And yes, there have been discussions with the AD and plans drawn up.

Here is what I remember from what he told me and the renderings I saw:

- move all students to south stadium below the railing (row 40?) and cut off the lower level there

- add a deck of "normal seats" above the suites

- the net result would be less seats in the stadium by a couple thousand

My argument to him was that there is no way in hell that 65 year old Fred Smith of Sutton is going to let UNL take his between the goalposts row 10 seats that "have been in his family for 60 years" away. And all of the people who are in row 40+ are now going to have seats further away from the action as they will be above the suites.

Any chance you remember seeing any architects logos on the renderings or drawings do you? Color of them?

Well, since it was brought up, I have a friend who is "in the know" as far as expansion and I chatted with him a few weeks he had some news about south stadium. I thought about bringing it up, but wasn't sure how public it was. And yes, there have been discussions with the AD and plans drawn up.

Here is what I remember from what he told me and the renderings I saw:

- add a deck of "normal seats" above the suites

- the net result would be less seats in the stadium by a couple thousand

My argument to him was that there is no way in hell that 65 year old Fred Smith of Sutton is going to let UNL take his between the goalposts row 10 seats that "have been in his family for 60 years" away. And all of the people who are in row 40+ are now going to have seats further away from the action as they will be above the suites.

Any chance you remember seeing any architects logos on the renderings or drawings do you? Color of them?

Yes. But not gonna divulge that.

Is anyone interested in pictures of the Breslow Ice Center, the new soccer complex, and/or the updates to the exterior of the Devaney Center? I drove by all three today and noticed movement on all three projects.

The Breslow Center isn't going to be used for Husker Hockey (they keep telling us there won't be a team), but it may be used that way in the future.

• Fire 4

Is anyone interested in pictures of the Breslow Ice Center, the new soccer complex, and/or the updates to the exterior of the Devaney Center? I drove by all three today and noticed movement on all three projects.

The Breslow Center isn't going to be used for Husker Hockey (they keep telling us there won't be a team), but it may be used that way in the future.

YES!! DO IT!!!

• 3 weeks later...

A little late with these, sorry. I took these pictures on June 25th.

Starting off with the old "tackle the KSU guy" statue. This was originally placed on the east side of the stadium, then got moved during the expansion, and now it's back. Here's the plinth it sat on during construction. I haven't heard what they're going to do with this thing. Maybe a new statue?

2uB7fio.jpg

The statue in its permanent home.

IlxztCW.jpg

And the Bob Devaney statue outside the main East Entrance.

ixDAxkv.jpg

Here's the Breslow Ice Center. It's flat ground over there and the place is built on a slight rise, so it's tough to get decent pics of it:

lnpq7PE.jpg

rcQ8f8X.jpg

K26WhBt.jpg

• Fire 1

Here's the tennis complex.

This is from court level:

Cq5a2CL.jpg

pgnEkka.jpg

This is the raised walkway between courts. I like how the seats are above the courts, so you can see all the action.

4H75fPR.jpg

Here's the tennis complex scoreboard. You can see the old Fair Grounds (Innovation Campus) in the background, and the buildings behind the scoreboard are the old 4H building (left) and the Industrial Arts Building (right).

kICY8uc.jpg

Here's the soccer field and grandstands. You can see Memorial Stadium in the background, but it's over a mile away from this place. Also, the State Capitol on the far left.

45Rtsyd.jpg

dN3eykD.jpg

And the scoreboard.

v0qIS1l.jpg

• Fire 1