Big 12 suspends Eric Martin for one game

Nexus

Maybe it is time to just outlaw football if they aren't going to allow it to be played. It is a contact sport. It is a dangerous contact sport, and there will be injuries that result from playing it. That's the risk everyone takes. Trying to make an inherently dangerous activity "safe" is not only impossible, but also stupid. Either let the players play football or don't, but don't tell them to play and then punish them for doing it.

Man this is unbelievable. I'm not even going to argue about the hit itself, but the fact that they are just coming out and suspending this one guy, picking him out, in one game, one week, after never even threatening to do anything of this nature before AFAIK. Where is the suspension for the guy that ACTUALLY GOT FLAGGED for helmet to helmet contact in that game? The league officials are catering to a couple of queef broadcasters who took it upon themselves to single out Nebraska's players and insinuate that our team is a bunch of dirty spear tacklers.

It's near the end.

Advance to the 1:35 mark. The hit is in the lower right quad of the screen. Head hunting - clear as a bell. Cheap, dirty shot... and then laughing on the sideline. Thug play.

How is this cheap or dirty again?

Because of the rules:

"According to the National Collegiate Athletic Association's 2005 Football Rules and Interpretations: "No player shall use his helmet (including the face mask) to butt or ram an opponent or attempt to punish him. There shall be no spearing. No player shall strike a runner with the crown or the top of his helmet....""

I didn't ask how it was illegal... I understand why people believe that... although they are wrong.

I asked "How is this cheap or dirty?"

I would LOOOOOOVE to hear your answer.

MOST people agree that not playing within the rules constitutes "dirty" play, i.e. cheating.

Some classic "troll" like responses. First, you define the hit as "head hunting" ... although no head was hit. You state it's "clear as a bell" ... when in reality it's very clear that Eric's shoulder hits the chest muscle flush with the impact moving up and thru the body ... perfect exucution. Last, you define "laughing" as related to the play ... who can't make that judgement from the video?

Next, you state you can say this because of the rules. However, you have first defined the situation incorrectly, next you are apply the rule incorrectly. The is stately clearly ... and at no point is Eric's head used as a spear ... in fact, if he had, I would suggest that Eric would have a neck injury. If one wanted to ask Eric where he hurt ... I would suggest he said if anything his shoulder. He hit him so flush that I'm sure he didn't feel a thing ... just like a nice golf shot where you use all the correct muscles.

Lastly, you state that "not playing within the rules constitues dirty play" ... and it's pretty obvious, you have interpreted and applied this particular rule in a manner to be "trollish".

My thoughts of the hit was that it was a brutal hit. Eric did not have to use his full force in the hit, he could have let up and apply more of a block rather than a hit. If that is something Beebe would like to address or the NCAA I would welcome that. Set up a rules committee and set the policy. However, you can't suspend a player based on the rule this Tiger fan and Beebe have ... "upon further review" ... it just isn't there. From a coaching perspective, I would hope and think that Bo had a good conversation with Eric about his movements after the hit was made. Husker fans appreciate a good hit ... we do not applaud a taunt or the kind of movements that it looked like Eric made when the player was injured. I would suggest that some "in house" discipline be applied to sir Eric ... a suspension is simply not necessary according to the rules of the game.

Humble submitted,

SheepdogMark

• Fire 1

OK, you make that decision running a million miles an hour down the field towards 11 people looking to kill you.

UMMM.....Justin Blatchford was in almost the same position as Martin and choose to block. Blatchford made his decision while...running a million miles an hour down the field toward 11 people looking to kill him. And by the way, no one got killed. I hate when people use these WAR references. The OSU guy got hurt. He'll be fine. If you would like to fight a war, well, sign up and we'll send you oversees for just that purpose. The Nebraska football team might not be fine come Saturday though and it's because of the decision of Martin. I sure hope we don't need him and I know MU will use an offense that forces us to go with just one LB, but, damn, I would like to have Martin out there for this one. And he could have been out there had it not been for this BONEHEAD mistake.

Quit whining...Leonard Johnson got the same suspension for the same reason at Iowa State in 2008. When I complained about it here, everyone told me what a dirty player Johnson was and how the suspension was fair and that type of hit was dangerous...

I guess what you were REALLY saying is "Who cares? It's Iowa State and they should be ruthlessly punished by the NCAA every time the opportunity arises but if it happens to OUR guy then it's a blatant and personal slap in the face by the Big 12"

Well, guess what. God has already taken care of ruthlessly punishing ISU fans by making them ISU fans and the Big 12 is not out to get Nebraska. There is a precident for the suspension and I would expect the Big 12 to inforce their rules fairly for everyone...though I won't be holding my breath for that to happen.

Ok I don't remember this even lol. But still they aren't even suspending all the helmet to helmet perps from the one game of OSU vs. ISU! They are just picking the one out that the announcers felt like talking about for ten minutes. I can't imagine how hard it would be to field teams if you seriously and fairly start doling out one game suspensions for every helmet to helmet hit. Especially since Martin's hit wasn't dirty really, so they are counting incidental helmet to helmet contact? Or are we just banning people who hit too hard essentially?

Bottom line is, if this wasn't discussed at the NFL level, none of this happens.

That I will 99% agree with. The timing couldn't have been worse considering everything that has happened in the NFL and NCAA the last couple of weeks. That is exactly why I was worried that he might be suspended. I don't know why it took until today, but I figured it was about 50/50 that he would get slapped.