Suspension upcoming?

huKSer

personal.gif

Nice of Legate to get in there and help out. Bad for him to get called on it. This is just dirty. Look at that knee at the end...

I think he crossed the line between personal foul and assault.

it is just awful. watching legate and the isu player play some sort of reverse tug-of-war with rex's neck is just awful. inexcusable and dirty. i wonder if cpr is 'so proud' of that player?

Does anyone know if Bo has video playing in front of him during the Bo Show. He doesn't mention anything about this play in the wrap up. I specifically watched to see if he would say something about Legate. He didn't. I like that he is a coach that wears his heart on his sleeve. But if you are wrong you need to man up and admit it. If he doesn't then it's a shame. Legate deserves an "Ada boy" during film review.

just my $.02

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Don't crucify me, because its true, whether you admit it or not.

Every single player on Nebraska's defense plays with the intent to injure.

Every. Single. One.

Same goes with every other player on every other defense in the country.

Don't say I'm generalizing, "Oh there has to be a few kids out there who play strictly clean football!" Nope. There aren't. Maybe not dirty like this play, where the intent was to pull Burkhead by the head, but every tackle is made with the intent of bringing the opposite player to the ground as hard as physically possible. Why? To ensure he stays there. To make him hurt. To send a message. Reducing helmet-to-helmet contact isn't going to change that. There will still be eye-gouging and finger breaking at the bottom of piles.

Football is a dirty, nasty, physical game. Hard hits on defenseless players are going to continue until these NCAA rules take effect in High School games and Peewee football, because that is where the habits are made. Reviewing Eric Martin-esque hits now may bring about a suspension, but Eric Martin also said directly after he is going to play just as aggressive. Will this tactic by our wonderful Commissioner work? Nope. It's not going to. Too much of a double standard. The amount of suspensions would get out of hand for plays like what happened to Rex, which happen every single drive, whether we see them or not.

We gotta live with it for a few more months. Then off to the Big 10, where we will continue to play injury-inducing football. The suspensions will end when the NCAA realizes that they can't stop the targeting or dirty plays with suspensions. Personal fouls in game for visible offenders, yes, those will stay. The suspensions will end. Give it time.

There's a difference between wanting your opponent to feel pain and actually wanting to injure your opponent. I would agree that every defensive player wants to bring pain, he wants that receiver to feel that hit the next day. Very few intentionally want to injure a player.

I could argue that, but realistically neither of us have evidence to support our claims as we haven't experienced first hand, so the point is moot. It just seems, with all the football I watch and all the cheap things I see going on (Tivo has helped pick up on them), I don't see any way that players don't play to injure... It's dirty, but it's good strategy. Encouraged by the coaches? I hope not. But you see plenty of players receiving high fives from teammates directly after an unnecessarily rough hit. That tells me something right there.

I just watched the video clip. That's sickening. I completely missed the kick. That's worse than Eric Martin... No question. It looked to me like he wasn't strong enough to push Rex's head any further so he kicked it to try to twist it that extra few inches... Wow.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Don't crucify me, because its true, whether you admit it or not.

Every single player on Nebraska's defense plays with the intent to injure.

Every. Single. One.

Same goes with every other player on every other defense in the country.

Don't say I'm generalizing, "Oh there has to be a few kids out there who play strictly clean football!" Nope. There aren't. Maybe not dirty like this play, where the intent was to pull Burkhead by the head, but every tackle is made with the intent of bringing the opposite player to the ground as hard as physically possible. Why? To ensure he stays there. To make him hurt. To send a message. Reducing helmet-to-helmet contact isn't going to change that. There will still be eye-gouging and finger breaking at the bottom of piles.

Football is a dirty, nasty, physical game. Hard hits on defenseless players are going to continue until these NCAA rules take effect in High School games and Peewee football, because that is where the habits are made. Reviewing Eric Martin-esque hits now may bring about a suspension, but Eric Martin also said directly after he is going to play just as aggressive. Will this tactic by our wonderful Commissioner work? Nope. It's not going to. Too much of a double standard. The amount of suspensions would get out of hand for plays like what happened to Rex, which happen every single drive, whether we see them or not.

We gotta live with it for a few more months. Then off to the Big 10, where we will continue to play injury-inducing football. The suspensions will end when the NCAA realizes that they can't stop the targeting or dirty plays with suspensions. Personal fouls in game for visible offenders, yes, those will stay. The suspensions will end. Give it time.

There's a difference between wanting your opponent to feel pain and actually wanting to injure your opponent. I would agree that every defensive player wants to bring pain, he wants that receiver to feel that hit the next day. Very few intentionally want to injure a player.

I could argue that, but realistically neither of us have evidence to support our claims as we haven't experienced first hand, so the point is moot. It just seems, with all the football I watch and all the cheap things I see going on (Tivo has helped pick up on them), I don't see any way that players don't play to injure... It's dirty, but it's good strategy. Encouraged by the coaches? I hope not. But you see plenty of players receiving high fives from teammates directly after an unnecessarily rough hit. That tells me something right there.

I just watched the video clip. That's sickening. I completely missed the kick. That's worse than Eric Martin... No question. It looked to me like he wasn't strong enough to push Rex's head any further so he kicked it to try to twist it that extra few inches... Wow.

FWIW, on Sports Sound Off last night, Jason Peter said he and Grant Wistrom tried to hurt people and put them in the hospital. He's a bada** dude!

Here are a couple of looks at the flagrant facemask against Burkhead and Helu's fumble. The key thing to look at in Helu's fumble is the angle at 1:20, which shows him impacting the ground before the ISU player rips the ball from his grasp. No, you cannot see the ball, but you can see Roy hit the ground, then you can see the guy rip the ball. This is the same amount of "evidence" they used to put Arnaud over the goal line in his TD.

They got the call right with Arnaud - he crossed the plane - but they didn't have conclusive evidence. It was all based on angles, and you had to interpret what you saw. The problem is that they didn't do the same thing for Helu, and we were charged with a turnover.

The last time I saw another player obviously trying to cause bodily harm to a Husker after the play was Rocky Calmus of Oklahoma on Dejuan Groce after a punt return. I think we even got the penalty on that when Groce threw the football at Calmus' head as he was pulling his leg in an awkward trying to cause knee damage sort of way.

The last time I saw another player obviously trying to cause bodily harm to a Husker after the play was Rocky Calmus of Oklahoma on Dejuan Groce after a punt return. I think we even got the penalty on that when Groce threw the football at Calmus' head as he was pulling his leg in an awkward trying to cause knee damage sort of way.

The penalty was on NU. I remember because my OU buddies couldn't stop laughing.

i remember shouting, "ankle twisters!"

That type of play should be discouraged, if we are truely trying to protect players from being injured intentionally. Unfortunatelly, the beebe gun could get some redemption for suspending a ISU player, sense ISU is not a big dog in the Big TX/OK conference. This is a no win, if a suspension is issued, it's the right thing but can and will be looked at as "covering his rear" and no call, he's biased and should step down. There has been some helmet to helmet hits with obvious intent by bigger teams, within the last couple weeks. Those should have been at least commented on and I believe in the interrest of protecting players this kid should also be suspended, there is no place for this crap.

The comments about ISU not being a "big-player in the B12" is not ment as a knock, it is what it is, in the B12.

Does anyone know if Bo has video playing in front of him during the Bo Show. He doesn't mention anything about this play in the wrap up. I specifically watched to see if he would say something about Legate. He didn't. I like that he is a coach that wears his heart on his sleeve. But if you are wrong you need to man up and admit it. If he doesn't then it's a shame. Legate deserves an "Ada boy" during film review.

just my $.02

He doesn't owe the fans that...he owes that to Tyler. And I'd bet after reviewing it he did "man up"...

So does #47 for ISU get suspended for the cheap and flagrant attempt to rip of Rex Burkhead's head off?

I doubt it.

No, beebe will probably grant him either another year of eligibility, or the opportunity to play for the South representative against NU if we win the North.

Anyhow, it certainly should have been a penalty against ISU, and it was not good. But I'm not so sure if it was a blatant attempt to hurt Rex. Emotions run high, and stuff like this happens in football.

personal.gif

Nice of Legate to get in there and help out. Bad for him to get called on it. This is just dirty. Look at that knee at the end...

Looking at the live coverage and comparing it to this clip, it's clear one of the back judges (I believe he wears an "F" on his back) had nearly the same angle as this. There were no players hindering his view of this dirty play, and he omitted the call. Freakin' outrageous!!! :throw

I captured the game and uploaded a clip of this a-hole. Time to bombard the media.

Check out where the ref with the "F" on his back comes from at the :09 mark on this clip. He had a crystal clear view of #47 trying to rip off Rex's head. Unacceptable!

And look at the ref standing amid the ISU linebackers. He saw exactly what was going on when it happened and tried to come in and break it up. That's what Legate and Williams pushed #47 away. That ref knew the truth, but apparently it didn't matter. Terrible!