ISU fake in OT

Just thinking about P. Rhodes call on fake in OT. He basically decided, "Hey I have a wounded QB who has fought and battled to get us back in this game, we are at HOME in OT, we just scored easily on our possession. So I guess I'll put the entire game in the hands of my backup on on a trick extra point play and hope that wins it." If I were a ISU fan or player I would be disappointed that he didn't trust the guys who got him there to finish the job. This single decision could affect the psyche of these team and ruin the rest of their season. Oh yea of little faith. Thoughts?

Just thinking about P. Rhodes call on fake in OT. He basically decided, "Hey I have a wounded QB who has fought and battled to get us back in this game, we are at HOME in OT, we just scored easily on our possession. So I guess I'll put the entire game in the hands of my backup on on a trick extra point play and hope that wins it." If I were a ISU fan or player I would be disappointed that he didn't trust the guys who got him there to finish the job. This single decision could affect the psyche of these team and ruin the rest of their season. Oh yea of little faith. Thoughts?

Perhaps Rhoads was trying to give us a fair shake... ;)

I think kneeing it with 3 timeouts and 40 seconds left is what ISU should be upset about. Yet I think he wanted a emotional upset so why not try it.

I was shocked by this decision (and the decision to go for the 2-pt conversion). They had the wind at their back and their kicker had already made a 57-yarder (I know he was 0-5 before this, but it was worth a shot).

The 2-pt conversion was really questionable. As the old saying goes, "play for the win on the road, and the tie at home." That said, if the pass had a little more zip on it (and the wind didn't knock it down) I think there was a good chance that it gets completed, or at least the receiver has a chance to make a play on it.

We squeaked out of there with a win and after last season's ISU debacle, I'll take it.

If I'm an ISU fan, I love it. He realized that his guys executed the perfect gameplan for 60 minutes and probably felt like he was on borrowed time. The play was there, the pass just held up in the wind.

By the way, that was the best call Pelini made all day long, going INTO the wind in OT. VERY smart move.

If I'm an ISU fan, I love it. He realized that his guys executed the perfect gameplan for 60 minutes and probably felt like he was on borrowed time. The play was there, the pass just held up in the wind.

By the way, that was the best call Pelini made all day long, going INTO the wind in OT. VERY smart move.

Except Pelini wanted to play at the other end, and our captains goofed.

I was more surprised with the kneel down in the 4th quarter. I would've given my offense a shot with the wind at our backs. Couple big pass plays, with 3 timeouts, and they are in field goal range with that wind. Scary how close we were to losing that game.

Did anybody else see the two interceptions that were thrown by Arnaud earlier in the half? If we pick off the ball, game over with Henery on the sidelines. I thought it was a good decision by Rhodes considering our pass defense and kicker. But, I guess overtime didn't work out for them either.

I was more surprised with the kneel down in the 4th quarter. I would've given my offense a shot with the wind at our backs. Couple big pass plays, with 3 timeouts, and they are in field goal range with that wind. Scary how close we were to losing that game.

Did anybody else see the two interceptions that were thrown by Arnaud earlier in the half? If we pick off the ball, game over with Henery on the sidelines. I thought it was a good decision by Rhodes considering our pass defense and kicker. But, I guess overtime didn't work out for them either.

Rhoades was quoted saying in the Des Moines Register that he didn't want to give our "good" defense a chance to pick the ball off. Having said that Arnaud was picked off both times going into the wind, that last drive he had the wind at his back and had done a good job picking our secondary apart.

Actually we wanted to go with the wind but our captains messed up again. I guess it worked out ok :)

Personally, I think the way the ISU moved the ball, they would have been better served to just line up and go for the 2 pt conversion with their offense. Putting the ball in the air with a fake PAT, using a back up punter and throwing into the wind, didn't give you the best chance of making a play with your best athletes.

With that said, the play was wide open....so the "call" was good, but the fact that he didn't have his best athletes making the play truly cost him the game.

imo if you are going to go for 2 there you send your offense out. imo they would have got it too. we couldnt stop them

What sense would that have made? They caught us with our pants down on that fake. If the offense comes out onto the field, obviously we'll be ready for it.