DO NOT FORGET ABOUT BRION CARNES

There is a lot of talk on concern for our depth at QB but do not forget about Brion Carnes... this kid is the real deal. He is as fast as Taylor... was a 4 year starter at his high school in top level Florida talent. He's Tommy Frazier's cousin. He's got a strong arm and quick feet. This kid is gonna be a BIG TIME back up for Martinez next year and should close the game on the #1 and #2 QB's. Mark my words, if this kid picks up the mental part of the game and understands the playbook and the system, he's gonna be able to come in after Martinez and show little to no drop off in what he is able to do athletically.

Throw in some Jamal Turner and some Bubba Starling behind him and look out...

• Fire 1

There is a lot of talk on concern for our depth at QB but do not forget about Brion Carnes... this kid is the real deal. He is as fast as Taylor... was a 4 year starter at his high school in top level Florida talent. He's Tommy Frazier's cousin. He's got a strong arm and quick feet. This kid is gonna be a BIG TIME back up for Martinez next year and should close the game on the #1 and #2 QB's. Mark my words, if this kid picks up the mental part of the game and understands the playbook and the system, he's gonna be able to come in after Martinez and show little to no drop off in what he is able to do athletically.

Throw in some Jamal Turner and some Bubba Starling behind him and look out...

I totally agree with your thoughts. Talk about a log jam of talent. I do think Carnes is the real deal. He can pass as well as throw and he's got those natural skills that you can't teach. That area of Florida that he played in is one of the best in the country from a talent perspective also. Lots of D 1 prospects come out of that area.

He's got talent. I can't wait to see him.

And the never ending cycle of cheering for the backup before he is a backup begins. Play with what we have, forget the pie in the sky.

We heard this stuff all last year about Green, we see how that has worked out. Being good in high school means nothing here.

• Fire 1

You do NOT burn his red shirt this year.

Agreed, especially not this late in the season. Winning the conference is not important enough to burn his shirt.

Sorry, knapplc, but I couldn't disagree more. Even though I don't think you burn his shirt in the game yesterday, winning the conference is the most important thing outside of winning a national championship. No player's future or current status on eligibility is more important than winning, especially with the influx of talent we have coming in at QB and our starter is a freshman.

If injuries had Lee and Martinez out the entire season right now, you wouldn't burn Carnes' shirt?

I would, and I think I know what Bo would do in that situation. However, I am not privy to his ability in order to make this call. Maybe he isn't any better than Green right now.

• Fire 1

You do NOT burn his red shirt this year.

Agreed, especially not this late in the season. Winning the conference is not important enough to burn his shirt.

Sorry, knapplc, but I couldn't disagree more. Even though I don't think you burn his shirt in the game yesterday, winning the conference is the most important thing outside of winning a national championship. No player's future or current status on eligibility is more important than winning, especially with the influx of talent we have coming in at QB and our starter is a freshman.

If injuries had Lee and Martinez out the entire season right now, you wouldn't burn Carnes' shirt?

I would, and I think I know what Bo would do in that situation. However, I am not privy to his ability in order to make this call. Maybe he isn't any better than Green right now.

To burn Carnes' shirt we would have to have a very good chance of winning the conference if he plays, PLUS we would have to be nearly guaranteed that Martinez will not be able to lead the team, PLUS we would have to be guaranteed that Lee cannot go the rest of the year, PLUS we would have to be guaranteed that Green couldn't possibly get it done, PLUS we would have to be nearly guaranteed that the mistakes inherent in a Freshman won't cost us the title if we play Carnes (see Martinez' fumbles), PLUS we would have to be guaranteed that the very limited offense we could run with Carnes would be able to beat the team(s) we put him against.

We saw how poorly a very limited offense works against ISU. We barely won the game, and ISU outgained us 316-360.

We've seen how many mistakes Martinez made early against weak competition; Carnes would go up against Kansas, A&M, Colorado and Oklahoma State. There is no margin for error against A&M and OSU.

We do not know that Martinez is out for the season, or will not be able to play against A&M.

We do not know that Lee is out for the season, or will not be able to play against A&M.

We do not know that Green can't play better than he did yesterday.

We would have to have a reasonably solid guarantee that all of the above is true/likely to happen, and that on top of this, Carnes is not only capable of leading us to victory, but likely to. If he is not LIKELY to, we cannot burn his shirt.

Those are the obstacles in the way of Carnes starting. I think they are far too many to overcome simply to play a Freshman that is, by one report, doing fairly well in practice.

With all of this, I would far rather see LaTravis Washington get a couple of starts than Carnes.

And the never ending cycle of cheering for the backup before he is a backup begins. Play with what we have, forget the pie in the sky.

We heard this stuff all last year about Green, we see how that has worked out. Being good in high school means nothing here.

So are we not allowed to talk about Aaron Green then? He was pretty good in high school. People are excited about an incoming player. No one is saying he (Carnes) should be the starter yet.

Just sayin'...