Eric Martin to DE

HuskerNMO

I thought we were weak at LB, so this one really surprised me. So what is the depth at LB?

I see your point. But... we do have returning for next year at the LB position Lavonte David (a junior next year), Will Compton (Jr), Sean Fisher(Jr or maybe a sophomore --- not sure), Alonzo Whaley (Jr) and we have David Santos coming in --- and Harvey Jackson is coming off a redshirt and is thought to be either a S or LB --- and another possibility is that redshirt (and supposed superstar) Corey Cooper will play a hybrid LBer. So... we have some talent.

Now at DE we return Meredith --- who is excellent already and will only get better -- he'll be a junior. Then.... well... Jason Ankrah and Josh Williams --- both to be sophomores --- each have seen time this season and have not been noticeable in their play (of course they have been in spot duty and are young so that they have not stood out is not, necessarily a bad or unexpected thing). We have Donovan Vestal, Tobi Okiyemi and Walker Ashburn coming off redshirt (none of whom were major recruits --- each may be good to great, who knows... but none were major recruits nationally).

So... we return 4 seasoned LBers --- namely David, Compton, Fisher and Whaley --- all know the system and have ample experience (plus there are guys like Holt and May --- walk-ons who have also seen fairly extensive time). At defensive end... we really return only one seasoned player... Meredith. Now Ankrah and Williams have some (albeit very, very little) experience --- but nowhere near enough to be called "seasoned.". So... we are perhaps more thin at DE than we are at LBer.

Plus... Martin may make a beast of a DE.

Final point... if Carl Pelini says we'll be pleased with this move then.... I full well expect that this will be a great move.

he's a big, young boy. playing at around 240 this year, and carries it really well. this makes sense. he's obviously gonna keep putting on weight.

just a thought...what if the plan is to move the hybrid, every down spot to the line? for the big ten? we lose the guy the current D was basically created for next year. back to more of a 4-3, but with an athletic d-end that can back off the line into coverage?

After thinking about it longer, this does seem to make sense. It appears that Martin just doesnt have the mental ability to run the defense from the LB position. Putting him at DE on obvious passing/blitz downs will just let him play and use his freakish ability to make plays rather than trying to understand what everyone on the field is supposed to be doing. Hopefully this works out well for him. His speed should allow him to get around the tackle spot and hopefully bring the much needed pressure rather than us having to use an extra player to bring the heat in addition to our Dline.

I thought we were weak at LB, so this one really surprised me. So what is the depth at LB?

Martin really struggled at LB in several areas, he struggled with assignments and calls on the field. He also did not have the speed or hips to cover TE's or RB's which is a must for Bo's LB's.

DE is the right fit for him, but I don't know how much he will contribute this year.

Good points there, jliehr.

That was my initial reaction too sheepdogmark, that being concern over our depth at LB. Martin brings the wood though, of that there is no doubt. So if he can't find the field at LB move him around and find a spot for him. Maybe he can be a "spinner" or whatever...although Meredith looked pretty strong there. And I don't know if that is a position of permanence anyway, or just a fleeting wrinkle we threw out there.

Perhaps the coaching staff makes this move with one eye on potential DE recruits for '11? Maybe there is not a ton of confidence in who they can land come February? I actually don't really think that has much to do with this decision, just a speculatory thought.

Martin really struggled at LB in several areas, he struggled with assignments and calls on the field. He also did not have the speed or hips to cover TE's or RB's which is a must for Bo's LB's.

DE is the right fit for him, but I don't know how much he will contribute this year.

That was my initial reaction too sheepdogmark, that being concern over our depth at LB. Martin brings the wood though, of that there is no doubt. So if he can't find the field at LB move him around and find a spot for him. Maybe he can be a "spinner" or whatever...although Meredith looked pretty strong there. And I don't know if that is a position of permanence anyway, or just a fleeting wrinkle we threw out there.

Perhaps the coaching staff makes this move with one eye on potential DE recruits for '11? Maybe there is not a ton of confidence in who they can land come February? I actually don't really think that has much to do with this decision, just a speculatory thought.

Ekeler also said that Martin is up to 246 and still climbing.

Lavonte David is at 220 today, expect him to get to 230 in the offseason.

Ekeler also said that Martin is up to 246 and still climbing.

Lavonte David is at 220 today, expect him to get to 230 in the offseason.

David should easily be able to put on 10 pounds in the offseason, hell I'll put on 10 pounds this weekend coming back for the NU/KU game. Gotta get my fix of Runza and Valentino's and I'll probably mix in a beer or 12.

I wonder if Carl would still say E-Mart will be the heart of the D. Honestly I really wish he could succeed as a LB for us. Seems like another Carlos Polk if he develops properly.

I guess we'll see what happens with this transition to DE. No doubt it would be nice to have a DE who's constantly putting pressure on the QB. We already know E-Mart is solid vs the run, so I wonder how effective he'll coming outta the 3-pt stance.

Interesting....very interesting (in my best Mr. Burns from the simpsons voice)

Very interesting. I could see him as a Demorrio Williams type speed rusher off the end. Something we are very much missing. Takes aways some of the assignments and "thinking" that is involved from the LB spot also. Which is something that has been talked about as lacking with Martin.

Great move.

I want to see what he can do. I've had some say that he seems alot like James Harrison with the Steelers. He has so much energy and always seems ready to go. The Harrison thing may be overstated but we can hope.