Nebraska Football Show.....Bo calls out the fans

Let's consider the information here, Bo (even you though you probably won't ever see this).

1) Defense gave us a lot of reason to cheer, but many of the fans expected (and wanted) a drubbing offensively. It didn't happen.

2) That game was never really in question. Kansas was going to lose and we all pretty much knew it. They aren't a top ranked team and not even a bowl eligible team. Can you legitimately expect the crowd to be raucous over a game like this?

3) Your team looked like it was playing SDSU again. Remember the crowd at that game? It was far worse than this last Saturday.

4) In relation to number 2, don't call the crowd out for not being loud enough or prepared when many of your own players didn't come out ready or prepared on Saturday (namely on the offensive side of the ball). We had plenty of chances to be loud (Dennard's interception) and then things like a fumble on the next drive or a 3 & out killed momentum.

The fact of the matter is that the crowd almost always feeds off of the performance on the field after the game starts. Early in the game, the crowd is revved up just because it's the start of the game. After that, you HAVE to perform on the field to keep the crowd in the game. Not doing so against a below average team will you get you the crowd response you got Saturday, and thinking otherwise is just plain silly.

• Fire 1

I'd like to say that during my time here(current senior, cally's last year was my fresh. yr), the student section has been abysmal. HALF OF THE STUDENT SECTION are fair-weather frat and sorority idiots that show up drunk and just complain the whole time. Lots don't even pay attention to the game. I've only been to one game where I felt like the student section was great, and that was Missouri this year. When it is cold, people don't show up, or leave early. (Many left at half last game)

This was a realization that became painfully evident Saturday when Kansas got a 1st down on like their 2nd offensive play of the game, and already the student section was basically booing. Seriously? This isn't the Callahan era anymore. Show up and cheer for the Huskers, since WE ACTUALLY HAVE stuff to cheer for now. It just dawned on me that I ended up hating the student section nearly every single game. (Plus, we can't even clap to the beat of the band or the tunnel walk. How goddamn hard is that?)

Sorry for the rant.

I would have loved to be in the student section in the 90s, I can't imagine what that was like.

Don't get me wrong, we have the best fans in America, BUT I have to agree with Bo on this one. Simply put our fans need to be louder. I don't care if its -20 outside or 100 outside stand up sometimes it is not going to kill you. 85,000 people can be loud, Missouri game, Oklahoma game '09....we just need to be more often. Compared to what Bo has seen in the SEC, Memorial stadium probably sounds like a PGA golf course on a Sunday afternoon.

While no one wants to admit it, NU has a higher percentage of blue hairs than anyone else in the nation. It's far more of a social event for them than a sweating bullets-fired up on 30 beers-ultra passionate-"win or die" SEC redneck screaming his lungs out is for them.

I remember going to the Baylor game in 1996 and being in the faculty section. I've honestly been to funerals with higher excitement than what that section had. Frankly is was disgusting as all they seemed to care about was going to get pizzas and sitting on their huge fat asses. Yeah, it was "Baylor" but I honestly never saw even "one" tenured prof yell, clap or even stand up the whole game. Damned if I know why they even go.

I think NU desperately needs younger blood for a better home field advantage. It's great we have fans that have attended for 10,000 consectutive years but somehow we need a changing of the gaurd.

I'd like to say that during my time here(current senior, cally's last year was my fresh. yr), the student section has been abysmal. HALF OF THE STUDENT SECTION are fair-weather frat and sorority idiots that show up drunk and just complain the whole time. Lots don't even pay attention to the game. I've only been to one game where I felt like the student section was great, and that was Missouri this year. When it is cold, people don't show up, or leave early. (Many left at half last game)

This was a realization that became painfully evident Saturday when Kansas got a 1st down on like their 2nd offensive play of the game, and already the student section was basically booing. Seriously? This isn't the Callahan era anymore. Show up and cheer for the Huskers, since WE ACTUALLY HAVE stuff to cheer for now. It just dawned on me that I ended up hating the student section nearly every single game. (Plus, we can't even clap to the beat of the band or the tunnel walk. How goddamn hard is that?)

Sorry for the rant.

I would have loved to be in the student section in the 90s, I can't imagine what that was like.

The student section, in the mid-late 90's, was great and just like back then it was all frat and sorority "idiots." Come on man, who do you think makes the most noise at the games? Its the drunk frat guys!

As far as the girls go, lets face it, they are their usually because its a social event for them.

I don't want to sit by guys that think they know everything about football. I want to sit by guys that are there to have fun, scream, complain, argue about calls and clap. The only girls I want to see there are hot ones that are out to have a good time.

If you're a defensive minded football fan then Saturday was entertaining enough...although the fact that we were potentially playing the worst team on our schedule was never far from the back of my mind. (I said potentially! WKU, Idaho, I know...seriously though. You could argue that the Kansas Jayhawks are the worst team we will play this year.)

The offense didn't give us much to get jacked up about, and it seems pretty obvious that was by design. Pelini can't be all that surprised by the perceived apathy really, I mean, the coaches themselves tried to get this thing over as soon as they possibly could.

"Watson! I'm starting the movie Gandhi right before we run out of the tunnel. This movie BETTER STILL BE RUNNING when we come back in here after the 4th quarter, got it?"

That's a direct quote from one of my inside sources. By "direct quote" I mean utter falsehood, and by "inside source" I mean a fattish Russell Crowe who appears before me when no one else is around. I need meds.

• Fire 1

Bo has this backward. The players don't pay $54 to stand on the field and watch the fans cheer. The fans pay money to be entertained by the football team. If they want a loud crowd, give them something to cheer about. It is completely understandable that the crowd would be apprehensive when against a completely over-matched opponent we go 3-and-out on our first two possessions, looking bad doing it, against a horrible defense. I'm supposed to yell my ass off for that?

I wonder how much the "quiet" crowd was due to people wearing gloves and coats? More fabric dampens sound. We would have had to go ballistic to overcome that (to a small extent) and there wasn't much to go ballistic about.

It was quieter where I was. Guy in front of me stands up most of the time but DOESN'T yell! If you are gonna stand up then MAKE SOME NOISE. I don't think I've ever seen him cheer, he just stands there, he's not a blue hair either. My dad who is 80 makes more noise at the games than this guy.

Some of us were yelling when defense was on the field in my section, but many more were pretty quiet.

Oh+Snap.jpg

Seriously though, Bo is right. Our crowd shows up for the big games, but other than that our home crowds are lame. Not loud, not intimidating, they don't pump energy into the team the way they should.

Maybe if the team would show up for those games they could help get the crowd into it. It's a two-way street.

People were yelling in my section in the NE corner (section 40, row 38).

But yeah, 90% of the people had gloves on and were covered in blankets. It gets cold just sitting there when it's 30 degrees outside.

But regardless of temperature, they were all amped up when we took the field. Everyone deflated after the first couple of posessions when we got stuffed by KANSAS.

I got up and yelled when the D was in, just because. And everyone was standing in our section.

I have to admit though, this was a horribly boring game, and the offense looked woeful. Add in cold temps, and yeah, it kind of sucked.

I know this is taboo for everyone, but if alcohol was sold IN the stadium, that place would be a madhouse.

Let's consider the information here, Bo (even you though you probably won't ever see this).

1) Defense gave us a lot of reason to cheer, but many of the fans expected (and wanted) a drubbing offensively. It didn't happen.

2) That game was never really in question. Kansas was going to lose and we all pretty much knew it. They aren't a top ranked team and not even a bowl eligible team. Can you legitimately expect the crowd to be raucous over a game like this?

3) Your team looked like it was playing SDSU again. Remember the crowd at that game? It was far worse than this last Saturday.

4) In relation to number 2, don't call the crowd out for not being loud enough or prepared when many of your own players didn't come out ready or prepared on Saturday (namely on the offensive side of the ball). We had plenty of chances to be loud (Dennard's interception) and then things like a fumble on the next drive or a 3 & out killed momentum.

The fact of the matter is that the crowd almost always feeds off of the performance on the field after the game starts. Early in the game, the crowd is revved up just because it's the start of the game. After that, you HAVE to perform on the field to keep the crowd in the game. Not doing so against a below average team will you get you the crowd response you got Saturday, and thinking otherwise is just plain silly.

:yeah

I know the defense performed but come on....the offense was in complete "manage" mode and was rediculously blah! The biggest cheer the offense got was when T-Mart trotted on for their first play of the game. We were hoping that he would take a completely blah offense and make some plays. They didn't...almost the entire game.

I know its KU, but this game was a complete let down when it came to the atmosphere. Last game I went to, OU last year, was electric. Never have I been through a game like that. The fans didn't even want to leave when the game was over.

Bo and Wats need to stop holding back on the lowly opponents and open up the game plan. I get the feeling more often then not that they are and I hate it. We need to throttle these teams and not just manage the game to make sure we come away with a win.