Support for T-Mart

HANC

He got no support from the o-line so I'm glad we are tossing him some........ lets just hope he improves his game or someone else steps up who is better. I'd love to see him or green get things going because to be honest I'd rather not have to rely on another 1st year QB who has been developed by the Watson staff and never played in a college game.

Imo, Tmart is simply an outrageous talent. There's very, very few (if any current) cfb players that have his initial burst running the ball. When healthy, he's a real-deal Crouch threat to explode any play for a TD.

I think with competent/good coaching he's easily the best offensive threat we've had since Crouch and quite possibly even more as he's already a better passer than Crouch. In 3.5 years of starting did Crouch ever throw for five TDs in a game?

Frazier/Frost/Gill were "great" qb talents but Tmart would leave them in the dust running the ball. It wouldn't even be close. I'm old enough to have watched all three of those qbs and please don't tell me Frost, Crouch or Frazier were good passers. They were great without making up skills that simply were not there. Gill would still have the edge throwing the ball but Tmart has three more years to improve.

I think we would be VERY stupid to diss the kid to the dumpster due to the internet generated internet rumors. Let's get rid of the clowns coaching our offense and see what happens. The potential is through the roof. We don't want to throw that away.

• Fire 1

Imo, Tmart is simply an outrageous talent. There's very, very few (if any current) cfb players that have his initial burst running the ball. When healthy, he's a real-deal Crouch threat to explode any play for a TD.

I think with competent/good coaching he's easily the best offensive threat we've had since Crouch and quite possibly even more as he's already a better passer than Crouch. In 3.5 years of starting did Crouch ever throw for five TDs in a game?

Frazier/Frost/Gill were "great" qb talents but Tmart would leave them in the dust running the ball. It wouldn't even be close. I'm old enough to have watched all three of those qbs and please don't tell me Frost, Crouch or Frazier were good passers. They were great without making up skills that simply were not there. Gill would still have the edge throwing the ball but Tmart has three more years to improve.

I think we would be VERY stupid to diss the kid to the dumpster due to the internet generated internet rumors. Let's get rid of the clowns coaching our offense and see what happens. The potential is through the roof. We don't want to throw that away.

+1

I am not ready to throw him under the bus but HE has the responsibility along with whomever is coaching him to learn to throw the frickin ball away and quit taking 13 yard sacks. He also needs to learn that the thing he is carrying around is not a loaf of bread.

After that he needs to work on being a team player and not T-whatever.

As fans we need to call him by his name and quit making him sound like he is all that. He is a struggling QB right now that needs to get healthy both physically and mentaly. Of course most of that would be the same diagnosis for the rest of the offense.

GBR GBR GBR

My main thought after reading the entire thread is ... we have a couple of QB's coming in that certainly have some shake and bake ... like it or not injured or not ... the performance of Martinez and the issue of likeableness and leadership have opened the door to any newcomer.

Thus, I remain optimistic at the QB position. I have more concerns on our offensive line ... even with the recruits ... we have not pushed around a lot of teams and we seem to underperform and have to many mistakes which comes down to coaching.

Again, we have lost every game that mattered in this season.

SheepdogMark

All I know is a healthy Tmart at tip top shape is much better then what we've seen as of late, he was injured in the Mizzou game and it looked like he never regained his rhythm. The read option won't work without a dual threat QB and thats Watson to blame. They probably should of kept him off the field from there and none of this would of been an issue. Everyone would instead be waiting for him to tear it up next season in anticipation. The man has skills when he's bursting at 100% and everyone was raving as he mauled opponents. How about the oSu game, 18 carries 113 yards and 22/34 passing with 312 yards and 5 TDs.

Martinez definately needs many things in order to progress. He needs to mature in his decision making, and make those decisions quicker. He needs to show a hint of emotion. I realize by not do this he shows he is unphased by the pressures of the game, but it will show his team that he cares. He will need more help from others. He needs the help of an OC that will develop a system that will help Martinez be successful in the given situation. The same predictable scheme that SW has thrown him in this year worked for a bit, but is now easily defendable (play-action on 3rd and long over and over again....c'mon <_< ). I find it laughable and nausiating that SW, after the game, says that the offense needs to develop a identity. What a-hole failed in developing this lack of identity? Finally, he needs an o-line. The discussion about Tommie F. is interesting, but one big difference between the two is Tommie had a great o-line. The group we have now has talent and size, but they are obviuosly poorly motivated and poorly coached.

The loss wasn't Taylor's fault. Poor play calling and a lack of pass coverage and run blocking is what hurt this team. Our Oline didn't help out our running backs and Taylor's presence in the pocket. Its hard to pass the ball when you have less than a second to throw the ball.

The loss wasn't Taylor's fault. Poor play calling and a lack of pass coverage and run blocking is what hurt this team. Our Oline didn't help out our running backs and Taylor's presence in the pocket. Its hard to pass the ball when you have less than a second to throw the ball.

wrong, Taylor was part of the prob, it was mentioned several times during the game he held the ball for upwards of 5-6 seconds and was subsequently sacked...it is amazing so many people watch the game and miss the obvious....the kid just froze and seldom threw the ball away to avoid the sack.....he was totally confused.

wrong, Taylor was part of the prob, it was mentioned several times during the game he held the ball for upwards of 5-6 seconds and was subsequently sacked...it is amazing so many people watch the game and miss the obvious....the kid just froze and seldom threw the ball away to avoid the sack.....he was totally confused.

Taylor has no pocket presence. It was obvious in the Ou game and it was obvious against Washington. Until Taylor learns not to act like a deer in the headlights when facing a pass rush, he will get eatin up everytime. You knew washington was coming on a blitz during those 3rd downs..... yet no aubibles, no timeout, no having the Oline adjust the blocking.

I dont wanna here the freshman excuse anymore....... this was game 14 not game 1. He has not improved since WKU actually may have gotten worse. The teams he torched were TERRIBLE on defense.

If this season represents Taylor Martinez at his worst, full of mistakes, missed reads, poor pocket presence and all that, GOOD LORD, imagine what the next three years could bring if he improves at all. AT ALL.

In his first season starting at the major college football level he was capable, with all of his flaws, of leading us to 10 wins and a legitimate shot at an undefeated season. This despite being hamstrung by a horrific offensive line, ridiculous play-calling and a position coach who has demonstrably lacked the ability to develop players.

Get this kid an offensive line, get this kid a solid position coach, get this kid a homogeneous offensive philosophy and let him heal up, and I pity our opponents. I pity them.

There are a lot of great points being made in this thread. Taking all of them into consideration I think the fact remains it is the coaching staffs obligation to the University, the team, and the fans to put the best quarterback on the field come next fall period. The quarterback that gives the HUSKERS the best chance of winning needs to be unnder center. Doing what is right is not always the easiest thing, but it is their obligation and their job as coaches. If that's T. Mart then o.k. but the decision made needs to be what's best for all as no one person or player is bigger or more important than the program.

Yes, I support Taylor Martinez. I am not an apologist. I think he has "athleticism" that we have NOT SEEN at the QB here since Tommie. No, he is not Tommie Frazier, but he does have some of his "make up"..

1. Tommie was cocky...so WAS Taylor, until the injury killed his confidence

2. Tommie was NOT popular among teammates....neither is Taylor

3. Tommie was not a polished passer...ever....Tayor is not "yet"

** Okay, before everyone bashes me for even bringing the names up in the same breath, I know that Tommie WON GAMES AND NC.... and Taylor hasn't !!!! That is not my point.

I am just saying that some of the descriptors using to "bash" T-Mart are the same qualities that Tommie had...

*** When healthy, he was dynamic, even threw the ball well against OSU and MU...

Last night, I was AS PISSED AS ANYONE ON THIS BOARD... but I also, at times , felt that our best offensive play was when Taylor scrambled and tried to make things happen. He was TRYING to make plays. I know he caught a lot of crap for his two attempted shovel passes, but he was trying to make something happen. On the first, I admit, don't understand trying to throw it away on 3rd down, but the second one gave him the ONLY chance to get the ball to Helu. The defender just made a play. Heck, if he would have gotten the ball to Helu, it would have been a great play.

He was given ZERO chance to succeed last night, by Watson. 1st down run vs 8 in box...2nd down hand-off vs 8 in box and 3rd down pass when OL gets blown up...

He has a LONG, LONG way to go before he can lead us to a title, but I will not jump on the "let him transfer" wagon. He needs to grow up and mature into a leader.

Hopefully he learned from this year and will build on it.. He needs to mend fences with teammates and fix some off the so-called "daddy" problems that are circulating.

** So, I do NOT say he is perfect, but I am not going to push all of the blame on him. I am positive that if Turner-Carnes or any other "message board hero" that hasn't taken a snap yet, will struggle during their first year as a starter in the Big 10......especially if they are inured and have an idiot calling plays.

Go ahead, blast away.

I like what your saying.

My take: Martinez got hurt midway through the season and has never been the same. The injury were long term, annoying and wouldn't go away. His games against Kansas St and Okla St. were exfellent. Some of the best performances of the year any position, any team. Mentally he isn't there since the injuries. I think he can be a great QB here at Nebraska.

Lets find a O line before we start comparing Qb's

Remember....... like I very, very clearly stated in the OP, I am only comparing the "intagibles".... their qualities, NOT even close to comparing #15 to anyone. Until someone puts up the Wins that Tommie put up, there is NO comparing.

I think people who have responded to the topic have done a great job of breaking down the main issue that I brought up. Some agree, some disagree, but great points on both sides.

There wasn't a major comparison between Tommie and Taylor, other than athleticism and some personal traits. That's it.