Bo under attack again by the press

Even though this is really a non-story, I'm not surprised a writer is making it a bigger story than it needs to be.

I talked about this a few months back - when you are stand-offish, rude, and blow off the media as Bo has done so much while he has been here, they will eventually slowly turn on you. I'm only surprised that it was not some local writer who finally got fed up with Bo.

One thing Bo definitely needs to realize and accept is that the media is going nowhere, no matter how much he wishes they would. And if he continues to shut them out and display a horrid attitude to them, it is only going to hurt him in the future more than anything else.

Dealing with the media is part of the gig, so although it isn't in Bo's personality, he just needs to smile, answer their questions and try to be as polite as possible. And yes, that includes even when a hoard of cameras are not in his face.

You may be on to something, maybe Bo can hire someone to deal with the media for him. :)

Did you people bashing Bo even watch this video? I actually had a chance to sit down and watch it. It's a farce.

Bo clearly is making a joke. He tells the sailor, "We're going to give him the honor of being able to, uh... to, to call a play, and... just so you know, the oneS that work, that's the oneS I called, and if it doesn't work, you- you can blame this fella." After Bo clearly makes this joke (and it's clear it's a joke), everyone in the room laughs.

And just so we're clear, Bo doesn't "promise" Ryan anything. They're not standing face to face. Bo isn't looking him in the eye, he's canvassing the room. He's "working the crowd" up on the podium, while Ryan is down on the floor. Bo then calls him up, presents him with a jersey and shakes his hand. The camera then cuts to a side interview with Ryan, where he says it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience that he'll never forget. He says NOTHING about Bo "promising" him the opportunity to call a play.

This is rank BS. This is a purely fabricated story, and anyone calling Bo out for THIS SITUATION is a fool. Learn to think about what you're being shown on TV, or what you read in the paper.

• Fire 1

Pelini breaks promise to sailor

Personally, seems like Ms. Horne is getting all bent out of shape for no good reason, the kid didn't take it personally, so why should she?

Is this lady freaking serious? Good lord if you have the least bit of common sense you would watch that video and see that Bo was CLEARLY joking. The fact that this shows up on the front page of msn.com shows how pathetic the sportswriting is over at Fox.

Did you people bashing Bo even watch this video? I actually had a chance to sit down and watch it. It's a farce.

Bo clearly is making a joke. He tells the sailor, "We're going to give him the honor of being able to, uh... to, to call a play, and... just so you know, the oneS that work, that's the oneS I called, and if it doesn't work, you- you can blame this fella." After Bo clearly makes this joke (and it's clear it's a joke), everyone in the room laughs.

And just so we're clear, Bo doesn't "promise" Ryan anything. They're not standing face to face. Bo isn't looking him in the eye, he's canvassing the room. He's "working the crowd" up on the podium, while Ryan is down on the floor. Bo then calls him up, presents him with a jersey and shakes his hand. The camera then cuts to a side interview with Ryan, where he says it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience that he'll never forget. He says NOTHING about Bo "promising" him the opportunity to call a play.

This is rank BS. This is a purely fabricated story, and anyone calling Bo out for THIS SITUATION is a fool. Learn to think about what you're being shown on TV, or what you read in the paper.

Check out the tweets from Chatelain and Sherman:

dirkchatelain Whether he should've said it or not, the reaction is stupid. Columnist is bush-league. She wrote it as if Bo stole a little boy's dog

mitchsherman Talked to Morgan Ryan, naval officer who served as honorary captain at Holiday Bowl and didn't get to call a play. He isn't mad. Calm down.

You know, if you read my post in the Mike Gundy voice, it's actually more interesting. :lol:

I think a great PR move would be if Pelini and Ryan met again and laughed about it and Bo let him come on the sidelines again except this time in Lincoln. Probably won't happen but at least it would be a good will gesture but more than anything a great backhanded way to show just how stupid some 'journalists' can be. I would LOL.

I'm surprised someone on HB hasn't sent her an e mail yet. lol

You know, if you read my post in the Mike Gundy voice, it's actually more interesting. :lol:

It is about time that one of my Mike Gundy references recieved the proper recognition. :lol: I think that they are pretty good!

I doubt seriously that people who are given the honor of calling a play go through the rigorous training of learning the play book. To say that since the soldier did not know the proper way to call the play i.e. [Red Hot Poker] that it obviously was a joke from the start is rediculous!

I am sure the honoree in most cases is given a few options of what they can call and they pick from the choices. Options of pass or run and who they might like to see get the ball are probably the extent of there knowledge so beyond that they get assistance as to the exact play that is run in there name from someone else who knows the plays.

Even though this is really a non-story, I'm not surprised a writer is making it a bigger story than it needs to be.

I talked about this a few months back - when you are stand-offish, rude, and blow off the media as Bo has done so much while he has been here, they will eventually slowly turn on you. I'm only surprised that it was not some local writer who finally got fed up with Bo.

One thing Bo definitely needs to realize and accept is that the media is going nowhere, no matter how much he wishes they would. And if he continues to shut them out and display a horrid attitude to them, it is only going to hurt him in the future more than anything else.

Dealing with the media is part of the gig, so although it isn't in Bo's personality, he just needs to smile, answer their questions and try to be as polite as possible. And yes, that includes even when a hoard of cameras are not in his face.

This is the extent to which this article should make us recognize a problem.

Journalists will be journalists, but Pelini is opening himself up to this kind of stuff that, fair or not, puts us in a bad light and is negative press any way you slice it.

It is something Bo has to work on, to be sure.

EZ - only took about thirty tries, hey? :lol:

I'm tired of people sticking up for members of the media because they are "doing their job." BS. Questioning other peoples jobs is now their job???

There is a reason they are called the PRESS. Their job is to press them for stories and answers to topics the public (me) want to hear. I want to know that Bo Pelini is running our football team the right way. I also want to know details about what happens around the football team. I donate my money to the athletic department and buy my tickets, which pays Bo's HUGE salary, so I deserve this information. The only way I will get this type of information is through the media. Well I could go to practice if I really wanted to but...Id rather just read the paper.

I believe they are called the Press in reference to the printing presses used to print newspaper...hence the term "Stop the presses!" when breaking news happens.

• Fire 1

The point here is that it is getting negative press. Right or wrong, it is not needed and could and should have been avoided.

Bo is the face of Nebraska, more people nationwide know him better than any other person in the state. My wife who is a Nebraska/Missouri fan, feels he is an embarsement to the program, that needs to learn control and respect for others.

This was not a big deal, but the press has made it a much bigger deal than it should have ever been. The problem is the next will draw more attention and down the road more and more.

He has to get his emotions/actions/responses under control.

I agree with all that the reporter blew it out of proportion, but he has to stop putting himself in these situations.

We all love his fire, but that is a problem, it is part of the reason we are so high pentalized in games. Lack of control by the leader filters down to the followers.

Total aside here, but for what it's worth, you guys can thank me for attacking all the moronic Sooner/Longhorn fans until the Fox Sports web staff removed the comments section. :corndance

If you didn't check the comments before they were all removed, don't worry; you didn't miss anything from those idiots. Well, except the same old, tired jokes about Osborne protecting felons, several Texas fans who are proud as peacocks of their 5-7 Longhorns only because they beat Nebraska, and a lot of personal attacks aimed at me that make "yo mama" jokes look cutting-edge by comparison.

Personally, that's what annoys me about this article as much as anything. For anybody who hates the Huskers, this is going to be their running joke for the next 10 years. Maybe 20.

Don't know what is up with this story, but 'under attack' is right. I don't get it.

At first I was reading and thought, wow, that is a low blow from Pelini. And it is, if that's what he promised.

But the article gets more and more absurdly melodramatic. An extremely poor attempt by the author...not even sure what she was trying to go for. It's usually not a good idea for reporters to write with emotion. I have a feeling she got more caught up in the outrage - substantially more - than even the sailor's disappointment.

Agreed. This article was definitely written out of rage and hatred. This is why I hate reporters.

Fair and Balanced?....Fox News?....? Be afraid, be very, very afraid.

RiverRunner