Final Polls Out - We're in the Top 20!?!?!????

knapplc

this was a 10 win team out of a BCS conference.

like others have said, we knocked off some top teams along the way, that in the end, deserved high ranking if not as high as they were when we beat them.

im shocked youre surprised, considering these are the same polls that had us battling for a national title before the season even started.

relevance was an important part of being 'back,' correct? i cannot for the life of me understand husker fans sometimes. these polls are relevance defined.

im surprised. maybe voters didnt watch our game?

Gotta be the explanation. Or they just figured we didn't care about a meaningless bowl and didn't gig us for the pitiful performance. Or maybe they had mercy on us for the most trying season since 2007.

I was sure we'd be unranked after that loss to Washington. That was some pitiful football we put on display. I would categorize this as a gift.

This is my guess, as well. This was a meangingless game against a meaningless opponent that we had no desire to play. It's entirely our fault for putting ourselves in that situation, but if I were a voter I would also consider the fact that many of these bowl games are about who wants to be there more. Washington wanted it, and even though I know we wanted to win, we just didn't have anything to reach down and grab onto in the tank once things got tough.

I would like to see how accurate these pre-PRE-PRE-PRE-season prdiction polls are come this time next year.

from posts like this and others in this thread, i get the feeling that some think these are ranking going into next year....

they are not. these are final rankings from this year. and i dont see many teams below us that we couldnt/shouldnt beat, even if they did beat us. you dont think mizzou up there or the 100 other teams that lost to unranked opponents at some point dont deserve to be up there? we have relevance again. quit f'ing bitching about it.(not saying you are huskernumerouno, but dont be surprised when we are in the top 20, or my feeling, top 15 going into next year)

As I sit in front of the gas log fireplace, watching reruns of Family Guy in a retirement village 50 years from now I will fight to keep the memory of the 2010 season alive. I will make sure that my great grandkids never forget this 19th place finish in the poll.

Go Big Red.

You are sort of missing the point. The point is not, "Hey guys! Come quick! We're 19th!!!" The point is, "How in the hell did we manage to stay ranked despite looking like @$$ in our bowl game?" This thread is more about enigmas than celebration.

In any event, you act as though there is something else to talk about.

Just a thought, but i think he was using sarcasm

Doubtful. His prior post in the same thread---post #6---was an image which bore the following caption, "No one cares. Not even a little, I'm serious." The comment I quoted in my post can therefore be read to say, "Why are you guys talking about this? No one cares about a 19th place finish in the final poll."

This was a meangingless game against a meaningless opponent that we had no desire to play. It's entirely our fault for putting ourselves in that situation, but if I were a voter I would also consider the fact that many of these bowl games are about who wants to be there more. Washington wanted it, and even though I know we wanted to win, we just didn't have anything to reach down and grab onto in the tank once things got tough.

Really puts the 2009 Holiday Bowl against Arizona in perspective, doesn't it? And yet, people used that to rank us in the top ten last year. Weird.

This was a meangingless game against a meaningless opponent that we had no desire to play. It's entirely our fault for putting ourselves in that situation, but if I were a voter I would also consider the fact that many of these bowl games are about who wants to be there more. Washington wanted it, and even though I know we wanted to win, we just didn't have anything to reach down and grab onto in the tank once things got tough.

Really puts the 2009 Holiday Bowl against Arizona in perspective, doesn't it? And yet, people used that to rank us in the top ten last year. Weird.

True. The situations are eerily similar, but I think you could also argue the team was happier to be there last year. They felt snubbed and like they had actually won the Big 12 title game, plus the expectations weren't that high last year. This year, we had championship hopes only to be dashed by further offense unproductive tendencies and losing 3 of the last 4.

True. The situations are eerily similar, but I think you could also argue the team was happier to be there last year. They felt snubbed and like they had actually won the Big 12 title game, plus the expectations weren't that high last year. This year, we had championship hopes only to be dashed by further offense unproductive tendencies and losing 3 of the last 4.

Right. 2010 Nebraska was 2009 Arizona. The game snowballed on them, and while we were pretty good, we weren't that good. Washington isn't nearly good enough to beat Nebraska - but Nebraska is, at times, bad enough to beat Nebraska. And that's what happened in the Holiday Bowl this year. We were completely unmotivated, we blew the game off, and we got beat.

Last year we were definitely better than Arizona. Just not 33 points better.

Rank

Team (first-place votes) W-L Points Pvs

1. Auburn (56) 14-0 1,472 1

2. TCU (3) 13-0 1,392 3

3. Oregon 12-1 1,379 2

I can't believe TCU jumped Oregon. Not that it really matters. But Oregon came about as close to winning the MNC as possible, without actually pulling it out. And I just don't think TCU could have hung with Auburn.