Braylon Heard did not make it

STOOBIE

@nuance

Yeah, I know what you're saying. My whole point is that the ACT is not extremely difficult by most standards and it is entirely Braylon's fault he didn't make it.

When you took it you didn't have that knawing throught in the back of your mind telling you that if you didn't get an 18-19 everything you'd dreamed of might not be achievable. I can't imagine the pressure he was under. I feel kind of bad for the kid that he didn't get the score he needed. What I don't feel bad about is that he needed that high of a score to begin with.

If this is NU telling him no based entirely on his ACT score then that sucks and I feel bad for him. But if it's the NCAA telling him no because his GPA/ACT combination didn't meet their standards then I don't feel bad for him at all. That's his 1.9 GPA (or whatever he graduated with) that he needs to own up to. While standardized testing isn't an exact science...and some just test better than others - getting a C in algebra, or a B in science just takes a little effort. Graduating with that low of a GPA tells me a lot about your character. If he was sitting at a 3.0 it might not matter what he got on the ACT. Instead he farted around for a few years and now he's paying the price. (if that's the case here, which some have said it is)

Call me a bad guy, but I really don't feel bad for Braylon. The ACT is really not that hard. I got a 28 on my first try and I literally (yes, I mean literally) did not study at all for it. If you can't meet the university's academic standards, that's not their fault and he shouldn't be treated any different just because he plays football.

Hardly a fair statement to make, some people are just flat out horrible in standardized testing situations.

Call me a bad guy, but I really don't feel bad for Braylon. The ACT is really not that hard. I got a 28 on my first try and I literally (yes, I mean literally) did not study at all for it. If you can't meet the university's academic standards, that's not their fault and he shouldn't be treated any different just because he plays football.

Hardly a fair statement to make, some people are just flat out horrible in standardized testing situations.

I knew one of those guys. He got a 21 on his ACT. He ended up with 3.6 GPA in electrical engineering. As for me, I had a much higher ACT. But a lower GPA. heh.

He had an entire extra year, that should balance out the bad tester excuse and then some.

I wish people on this board would quit painting this kid the struggling hero. If he wasn't a football player with 4 stars no one would care.

I can't imagine that getting an 18 would be that difficult. Qualifying for the J.D. Edwards program at UNL, on the other hand...

With regard to Braylon's eligibility: yeah, a source would be nice. All the articles I've seen that mention that he may be academically ineligible are from June/July of 2010. The newest article I've found that mentions it is from just after Christmas, and according to that article, he is academically eligible.

He got the score of 18 so he thought he was good. But he needed a cumulative score of 72 and he got a 71. A final score can have multiple cumulative scores so its kind of confusing.

He can now retake the test and try to qualify but he's also now open to being recruited by other schools. And I believe he can go the Juco route but he'd have to graduate in 2 years to be able to attend UNL or any other university and play ball.

I can't imagine that getting an 18 would be that difficult. Qualifying for the J.D. Edwards program at UNL, on the other hand...

With regard to Braylon's eligibility: yeah, a source would be nice. All the articles I've seen that mention that he may be academically ineligible are from June/July of 2010. The newest article I've found that mentions it is from just after Christmas, and according to that article, he is academically eligible.

He got the score of 18 so he thought he was good. But he needed a cumulative score of 72 and he got a 71. A final score can have multiple cumulative scores so its kind of confusing.

He can now retake the test and try to qualify but he's also now open to being recruited by other schools. And I believe he can go the Juco route but he'd have to graduate in 2 years to be able to attend UNL or any other university and play ball.

Gotcha. They only mentioned ACT in the article I saw, I don't think they mentioned a cumulative score.

kchusker_chris

Sorry, but you're wrong there. As cheesy as it may sound, my dream since I started drumming at the age of 10 has been to go to UNL and play on the drumline. I worked my tail off in high school both academically and drummingly(?) to achieve that. So, yes, I have a fair understanding of what Braylon is going through.

Though, I agree completely with the second part of your post. I have a friend who graduated with the same GPA as Braylon did and got a 19 on the ACT. He's good as hell at what he wants to go to school for, but can't go because he slacked off in high school.

kchusker_chris

Sorry, but you're wrong there. As cheesy as it may sound, my dream since I started drumming at the age of 10 has been to go to UNL and play on the drumline. I worked my tail off in high school both academically and drummingly(?) to achieve that. So, yes, I have a fair understanding of what Braylon is going through.

Though, I agree completely with the second part of your post. I have a friend who graduated with the same GPA as Braylon did and got a 19 on the ACT. He's good as hell at what he wants to go to school for, but can't go because he slacked off in high school.

You aren't dating a girl who plays trumpet, are you?

I won't tell you guys what I got on my ACT. I didn't study, but my score was absurdly high. I'm just really good at taking tests. :dunno

I also won't tell you my graduating GPA out of High School - because it was embarrassingly low. Like, really embarrassingly low. Because I hated doing homework, and mostly skipped it. I aced all the tests, which is how I got out of school, but that super-crappy work ethic I developed made my college career at UNL very fun, but very, very brief. I flunked out of UNL my Freshman year and went into the workforce, working sh**ty jobs for a few years until I went back to school, finally getting an Associates degree at SCC. Still never got my bachelor's degree, but I've done OK without it.

@walksalone

I would say yes, it is. Unless Austin Jones, Lester Ward, or Collins Okafor step it up, Aaron Green is gonna be number two behind Rex next year.

:laughpound That is just too good right there. Green wil be the number two, the only way he would have ever seen the thought of a redshirt was if Braylon would have got here, and then it still would have been a slight chance.

Personally I blame Tejas. Here is a perfect example of a Prop 48er, that could have came to college, worked on getting his claswork up to snuff and play ball. Damn you Tejas, another parting shot on the wya out the door.

kchusker_chris

But were you honestly that worried about getting accepted to UNL because of your ACT score? If you got a 28, then I think you were pretty sure going in to the test you wouldn't have much of an issue getting the 19 or 20 it takes to get into UNL...Heard on the other hand...

Well it is hard for some! I bet playing on a D1 football would be impossible for you, but for Braylon that is the easy part! No one is asking for him to get special treatment. They are stating the facts!

Green is in no way shape or form going to be redshirted next season if Heard was playing or not. He's our best recruit in like 10 years and we are going to redshirt him? CMON MAN! It sucks he didn't make the grades, but we should be more focused on o-line blocking and being able to throw the damn ball.

@knapp

No, that's a different guy on the drumline. My girlfriend plays picollo, but is still in high school. =P

I'm with you on the test taking part. I can do terrible in a class as far as homework, but when tests roll around, I usually ace them.

As for Braylon, I guess my original sentiments weren't so much to him, but rather the people saying he needs special treatment.

Next year is a long ways off. A lot could happen. And, although it seems like a long shot, I am not about to throw the entire depth chart at RB under the bus. I am sure that they see D-Tray leaving as a major opportunity for all of them. And I am sure hoping that the coaches keep an open mind and let these guys compete. If one of these guys steps up and shines, we will all love it.