A different perspective to Bo's Fort Knox-style security

Landlord

I think we can all agree that Bo has overcompensated a bit in his tightening of what gets out of his program. However, one thing I was thinking about tonight was this. Think of how, every offseason, we're hearing reports of all these scandals, all these negative incidents, and all of these image-dampening events at big time schools...the player suspensions at OSU, the cheating scandals in the SEC, etc. Now think about the way our program would look right now if the public perception of Nebraska included why Quentin Castille got kicked off the team, Cody Glenn, why Marvin Sanders really left, Taylor's quitting in pre-season practice and supposedly later on in the year, etc. etc. etc.

I don't know, just a random observation on my part, but while I am quick to admit my frustration at the lack of information being made available, I take a look at the big picture and realize that it's probably, in the long run, doing our program more good than harm.

Doing more harm than good? How? I didn't know much of anything about potential recruits, off the field stuff, or practice field soap operas during Osborne's day; that is, until Lawrence Philips decided to drag his ex-girlfriend around, and then Berringer's death. But those were pretty big events. These days, players can't sneeze without Sipple, Chatelain and Shatel zooming in to grill them on their health and medical records.

There seems to be this mentality that we're all entitled to knowing everything that happens in and around the program. Why? What does it matter?

I just try to trust the coaches to do their jobs the best way they know how, and let them worry about off the field issues, well, because that's their job and not mine. My job is to wear red and be loud.

• Fire 1

Doing more harm than good? How? I didn't know much of anything about potential recruits, off the field stuff, or practice field soap operas during Osborne's day; that is, until Lawrence Philips decided to drag his ex-girlfriend around, and then Berringer's death. But those were pretty big events. These days, players can't sneeze without Sipple, Chatelain and Shatel zooming in to grill them on their health and medical records.

There seems to be this mentality that we're all entitled to knowing everything that happens in and around the program. Why? What does it matter?

I just try to trust the coaches to do their jobs the best way they know how, and let them worry about off the field issues, well, because that's their job and not mine. My job is to wear red and be loud.

Sorry, I got that switched around. More good than harm was what I was getting at :P lol, that really changed the complexion of what I was trying to get across.

IMHO Bo can run his program however he wants, but as fans we have the right to know about our team. Not just from a fan stand point, but from a financial standpoint.

I spend over $100 a year on my student tickets. That's nothing in comparison to season ticket holders, but for argument's sake... There are thousands of people who pay money to go to these games and give our athletic department millions of dollars to make sure our athletes (in all sports) have the best possible resources to succeed.

There are also thousands of people who donate to said athletic department (aka boosters).

They don't do it because they like to throw their hard earned money around. They do it to support a program they care about, they love, and they want to see succeed.

From that standpoint, we have a right to know (and demand) certain amounts of information from the programs we support. Some of you may think it's a trivial pursuit, and I somewhat agree. That said, until people have reason to not care about it, they will. Telling people to care less isn't going to do you any good because that simply will not happen in this state with this program.

IMHO Bo can run his program however he wants, but as fans we have the right to know about our team. Not just from a fan stand point, but from a financial standpoint.

I spend over $100 a year on my student tickets. That's nothing in comparison to season ticket holders, but for argument's sake... There are thousands of people who pay money to go to these games and give our athletic department millions of dollars to make sure our athletes (in all sports) have the best possible resources to succeed.

There are also thousands of people who donate to said athletic department (aka boosters).

They don't do it because they like to throw their hard earned money around. They do it to support a program they care about, they love, and they want to see succeed.

From that standpoint, we have a right to know (and demand) certain amounts of information from the programs we support. Some of you may think it's a trivial pursuit, and I somewhat agree. That said, until people have reason to not care about it, they will. Telling people to care less isn't going to do you any good because that simply will not happen in this state with this program.

Why does supporting the team financially, which is a personal choice, entitle the 'giver' to know every detail of the team? I don't see this happening with any of the other teams at NU. It's like being little old lady town gossips. What if we did know about Castille and why Marvin really left? Would that change your giving? If so, then what are you really supporting? Bo took care of those kinds of things privately. He had his reasons. Perhaps if everyone knew all of the 'skeletons in the closets' it could hurt those former players/coaches in obtaining other positions later. Give the guy credit for being discrete. That's a rare quality these days. Bo hasn't done anything illegal here. I say leave the guy alone and let HIM coach.

• Fire 1

I spend over $100 a year on my student tickets

I don't see the coralation between financial donations and information. I think it is an unrealistic expectation of what comes with financial backing. Your $100 is for seat in the stands not a phone tap.

Much like LadyHawke said, it's a choice. If you don't feel you are getting your moneys worth...move on.

I really don't care for the way Bo has handled the media or fans recently, but I'm more anxious to see if his methods work come Fall 2011. winning cures all.

I agree with that perspective Landlord. I think I mentioned before that I was a Pats fan, so while I am sort of able to see the good in the fun and looseness of Rex Ryan, I dig the Belichick style the most.

I don't think the Fort Knox philosophy is the issue, so much as the way Bo treats the media sometimes, and how he's continually failed to watch himself. I know he doesn't like this part of the job, but it's an important part and there have been slip ups before that's made him and made the program look bad, unnecessarily. The real worry is if the media ends up being a circle of sharks waiting to pounce at the first opportunity, that's something that is really Bo's own creation (in part).

• Fire 1

Why does supporting the team financially, which is a personal choice, entitle the 'giver' to know every detail of the team? I don't see this happening with any of the other teams at NU. It's like being little old lady town gossips. What if we did know about Castille and why Marvin really left? Would that change your giving? If so, then what are you really supporting? Bo took care of those kinds of things privately. He had his reasons. Perhaps if everyone knew all of the 'skeletons in the closets' it could hurt those former players/coaches in obtaining other positions later. Give the guy credit for being discrete. That's a rare quality these days. Bo hasn't done anything illegal here. I say leave the guy alone and let HIM coach.

:yeah

GBR!!!

I was listening to Jon Nyuata, sure I spelled that wrong, on 1620 the other day. He talked about the media's appetite for NU football year round. Bo dosen't care for it and isn't going to deal with it when his job dosen't require it.

I have no problem with this approach. How many pressers should Bo do in the off-season? Spring ball starts in less than a month and all these boobs can write down every thing Bo and his new staff say for 2 weeks. Is that not enough to justify your donation? If not give your money to Iowa State, they will give endless Paul Rhodes pressers for your $$$.

I did not once say supporting the team financially entitles the giver to know every detail of the team.

I said, and I quote, we have a right to know (and demand) certain amounts of information from the programs we support. What you are saying equates to investing money into stocks, bonds, etc., but not wanting details about what is going on with whatever you invested your money in.

I also didn't saying anything about specific situations, as I could really care less. I'm talking about the right to know general team knowledge. If you invest money into something, you have the right to know what's going on within that entity to an extent. Unless you enjoy blindly throwing money away and not caring what happens to it, then I guess you don't apply to the situation.

I have season tickets. I donate additional funds beyond that although it be a modest amount. I know people in the Athletic Department and have been around the coaches. I have the chance to attend events that allow me to feel connected to the program. I like knowing whats going on in the program but I also realize I'm not entitled to it. What I get I feel is a privilege. Anyone who thinks other wise is naive and wrong. I think once you have a few more decades in the working world, a family and a mortgage you'll understand better.

• Fire 1

I did not once say supporting the team financially entitles the giver to know every detail of the team.

I said, and I quote, we have a right to know (and demand) certain amounts of information from the programs we support. What you are saying equates to investing money into stocks, bonds, etc., but not wanting details about what is going on with whatever you invested your money in.

I also didn't saying anything about specific situations, as I could really care less. I'm talking about the right to know general team knowledge. If you invest money into something, you have the right to know what's going on within that entity to an extent. Unless you enjoy blindly throwing money away and not caring what happens to it, then I guess you don't apply to the situation.

Still doesn't make any sense to me.

You could invest all your time and money in the Justin Beiber fan club, but you still may not get the information you want. Your concerns seems to be more something that could be seen on TMZ(Fan) then CNBC(Investor).

The definition of invest is to buy or purchase something with the expectations of a return or appreciation of value. You believe your ticket entitles you to more than a game? Your return is the enjoyment of the game...no? I think you're using the wrong wording or your expectation of the 'return' is unrealistic.

If you are viewing your hundred bucks and some time as an investment in husker information gathering, I believe you have made a poor investment.

As an Apple stockholder, all I'm going to say is that I see an extreme similarity, and I'm ok with it.