Take Back Gameday

kb97

This smells just like the students who wanted to do the black out... Or prank college gameday when they came here.

They have this bright idea, then when it comes to making it actually work, they become lazy and it dies.

I just dont think this idea has any legs... Why not hold a rally on saturdays.

The student section is a bunch of drunk 18-22 year olds, do you expect things to be organized?

They cheer, they wear red and they show up on time, i think that is enough.

It's not difficult to ne organized, see Penn state. Wisconsin. But the difficult part is actually thinking of something that is creative and cool, yet simple.

This was their big idea, eh? A lot of work to be done if this thing is going to have any moderate success. Personally being a student there next fall (transferring), all I want to do is be loud for four quarters and support the team.

Hopefully this turns out to be something a little more than what was stated.

I'm sure they will think of something creative and simple. As this is a work in progress, at its very beginnings, I'm sure something will come up.

all they need is a guy with a bull horn, some sort of confidence to direct the students at the rally to shut up and listen for about 30 minutes, and some well designed signs that are easy to understand and that people will remember in order to get on the same page.

get up in front of the crowd at the rally, talk about whey they're doing it, ask people to bring more friends to it, get a couple of the bars or college related businesses to sponsor some $6 tee-shrits to have a little "advertise the rally", have an actual plan about what needs to happen at timeouts, what chants are appropriate at which times during the game, and coordinate some basic communication signals between the sections.

i really don't think it would be that difficult to organize the student section into a cohesive unit.

hell, in our seats clear up in the N Stadium, my brother and I very very often start chants, yells, etc. that pretty quickly can get 3-4 entire sections of people in unison, which then spreads to all the sections around us. a couple times we've started stadium wide waves. people all around us tell us how glad they are that we are making so much noise and getting people involved. most people want to do it, they just need someone to lead.

anyway, it's good to see some kids taking an inititive to try and get memorial louder

I hope this makes waves in the student body. We need more energy and noise in the stadium and if this helps so be it. i don't really care if Texas A&M already does this. Why do you have to do something different than somebody if its a good idea and works for them?

Bahahah. How anti climatic. The big post is, we will meet on a Friday to discuss and figure out what to do.

The student's aren't terrible at games. The problem is half of them are split from the pep band and it's hard to coordinate cheers between East and South stadium.

IMO move them all back to the South End Zone like they were before 2008.

So far this doesn't look organized at all, unless they've actually talked with the band. If students try to have a rally on Friday nights on campus, no big deal, but if 300 of them are playing instruments as loud as they can, people are going to notice and it's going to become a thing.

I'm thinking over 1000 people have joined a group that they know nothing about.

I'm hoping the organizer does something along the lines of a pride parade or something equally unexpected and amusing to the rest of us.

OVVVVVEEEERRRRR 9000!!!!!111111!!!!1111!!1111!!11!1111!1

In other words, you mean the blue hairs and the people who are actually fans.

We must have the oldest freaking fan base in the world and it drives me nuts. I swear, the average age of Husker fans has got to be 74. If you intend to be quiet and sit down during the game, please buy a press box or stay home. The rest of us want to be loud and obnoxious, make it hard for the other offense to hear their own snap count, and bemoan the refs when they make ridiculous calls. This is football, not lawn bowling. It irritates me to no end when we're getting the piss pounded out of us by Texas/Washington/Oklahoma and grandma and the rest of her sewing circle are sitting there as quiet as church mice.

Hey Gertrude, just a hunch here, but perhaps sitting politely with your hands neatly folded in your lap is not going to inspire Crick to put someone on their ass on 4th and goal when we're down by ten.

I go to a few Husker basketball games every year, and we sit like three rows behind the opposing teams’ bench. So naturally, we'll yell things like "Who REALLY shot Joe Colombo, Frank?" when we played KSU, or we'd call Jeff Capel Kelvin Sampson all night, stupid things like that. Anyways, there is this old lady sitting two rows down and a little to the right, who turns around and glares at us all game long like we're doing something wrong. This...shockingly...actually agitates our desire to be obnoxious and distracting. It's just funny though...are we supposed to sit there silently?

The blue hairs make NU great because they've been dyed-in-the-wool fans who've done anything they can to support their beloved Huskers for literally decades.

The blue hairs make NU less of an imposing place to play then it should be because they mistakenly equate vociferous outbursts with disrespect.

You've got to take the good with the bad, just like all things in life. But I could do without the Matlock fans who think they're the guardians of "appropriate" behavior at NU games. We're yelling because we support the Huskers with all of our might. If you don't like it, well...go play whisper Bingo while you watch the game on mute.

Eh. I guess. Look, I respect elderly people first and foremost, especially elderly Husker fans. I think its neat they remember games played two decades before I was even born. My beef with the blue hairs is (1) that they seem to comprise a disproportionately large percentage of the fan base, and (2) not only refuse to cheer loudly, but prevent others from doing so. This bothers me because it hurts our TEAM.

I couldn't talk right for two days after Texas game last year. Similar deal at the Holiday Bowl. It just hurts to see your team getting beaten up on the field and then you look around and see what appears to be ambivalent Husker fans not giving an S. I cheer not to hear myself or make others miserable; I cheer to get in the other teams' head and draw them offsides, etc.

I kinda wish there was a "blue hair" section at Memorial. If they can do it with the student section, then surely they can have an "anti-student" section, where instead of creative signs and raucous cheering, doilies and politeness will abound.