Huskers’ Twitter accounts give Pelini headaches

NU follows, so privileges aren't abused

By Jon Nyatawa WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — Nebraska’s Yoshi Hardrick felt particularly inspired just before the start of spring practice, so he logged on to Twitter and shared an abbreviated overview of the Huskers’ offensive philosophy.

“Offense at Nebraska new definition = violent #believeit”

The senior offensive lineman thought that was harmless. Some who read it had a different interpretation.

“I had like 100 (responses), people saying, ‘Oh, so that’s what coach is teaching ya’ll? Violence?’” Hardrick said. “I meant physical. … Ever since then, I don’t even feel good about tweeting any more.”

He’s still using Twitter, the social networking site that allows users to share their thoughts in a public, mini-blog-like message capped at 140 characters. And he’s not the only Husker tweeter.

More than 40 current and incoming NU players have active Twitter profiles, and many haven’t tweaked their privacy settings to keep their accounts from getting perused by fans, journalists and other curious individuals.

It’s a headache for coach Bo Pelini and administrators who are conscientious about Nebraska’s image.

LINK

Oh that Yoshi. What a character he is.

I'm surprised Bo allows tweeting from the players. I can really see nothing good coming from players doing it. As a teacher, I have a facebook but prohibit my students from viewing and never discuss my job. While I probably could, I just know that someday what I post will be taken out of context by someone with absolutely no life and cause a big stink, much like what happened to Yoshi.

Good off season topic. I think the players can sort it our, I don't use twitter but I can see how it can get out of control. I think if I were a player I'd not use it, too much chance of getting in a hot spot for no reason. I have too many friends from different groups on face book and it has beocme a pain, I'm about ready to shut it down.

how hard is it to know what he meant by "violence"? some people need to come out of their cave.

There are a lot of people that blow crap like this out of proportion and make it into a big deal which in reality its not that big of a deal. Some people just need to calm down and take a chill pill.

Just another example of what happened to Tressel. They can not watch these kids twenty four seven. Kids will be kids, they all make mistakes.

I would imagine Bo will have a much tighter grip on the social network as time goes by. I know one thing, I would not want to be responsible for 120 kids that are basically on their own. The coaches have a major challenge on their hands and it is getting way worse everyday.

Just another example of what happened to Tressel. They can not watch these kids twenty four seven. Kids will be kids, they all make mistakes.

I would imagine Bo will have a much tighter grip on the social network as time goes by. I know one thing, I would not want to be responsible for 120 kids that are basically on their own. The coaches have a major challenge on their hands and it is getting way worse everyday.

with everything that has been going on with twitter i still find it suprising that pro guys still havent gotten the memo about the idiodic things they post without thinking about it, at 3 in the morning, drunk, after a bad loss, an orgy, gay orgy, or just because and the consequences that can ensue.....

It's just an unfortunate side effect of playing for a major sports program: you aren't really allowed to display a real personality. It's all politically correct nonsense. Cally and Co. once got pissed at Harrison Beck because he played in a rock band. They want the image to be that all these kids do is practice, study, go to class and occasionally visit hospitals.

They just have to learn to keep all personality in a private setting (and even then, keep an eye out for cell phone cameras).

Cowherd hit it right on the head the other day, twitter has very little upside with major potential downsides and will probably be a fad we look back on with amazement. The only tweets anyone cares about are the controversial ones.