The Bubba Starling Thread

I just dont understand what people dont see here. He could come to Nebraska, mess around at the rec one night and johnny gym rat gets under his foot while playing a basketball game and BAM, he tears up his ankle or knee. Unlikley? Of course, but you know whats not unlikley? CASHING 5 Million Dollars!

Sign the contract. THE WORST CASE is that he flames out of baseball in 4 years and then goes to college, with millions.

I know people say he could be a Husker legend and this and that, well thats great but isnt having millions in the bank better?

I just dont understand what people dont see here. He could come to Nebraska, mess around at the rec one night and johnny gym rat gets under his foot while playing a basketball game and BAM, he tears up his ankle or knee. Unlikley? Of course, but you know whats not unlikley? CASHING 5 Million Dollars!

Sign the contract. THE WORST CASE is that he flames out of baseball in 4 years and then goes to college, with millions.

I know people say he could be a Husker legend and this and that, well thats great but isnt having millions in the bank better?

exactly, and a +1 to higher education being not the end all be all.

exactly, and a +1 to higher education being not the end all be all.

You can always go back to school too! Thats my point. Why drive to the lotto offices while holding the winning ticket out the window? Doesnt make sense to me!

The wild card is that he might just want to play football more than baseball, or not want to decide between the two yet, or want the college life or minor league life. That could put him at Nebraska. If it's purely a financial security decision there's no doubt he should take the baseball money now. That far exceeds the value of any college education, and doesn't preempt getting a college education in the off-season, or post-baseball if that doesn't work out.

My view is that he'd have to be pretty sure about football over baseball or the other things to pass on the money that may or may not still be there in 3-4 years.

The wild card is that he might just want to play football more than baseball, or not want to decide between the two yet, or want the college life or minor league life. That could put him at Nebraska. If it's purely a financial security decision there's no doubt he should take the baseball money now. That far exceeds the value of any college education, and doesn't preempt getting a college education in the off-season, or post-baseball if that doesn't work out.

My view is that he'd have to be pretty sure about football over baseball or the other things to pass on the money that may or may not still be there in 3-4 years.

You act like he has to pick solely football at Nebraska or baseball in the majors.

He goes to Nebraska he gets to do both for 4 years. He goes to MLB he just gets baseball.

You act like he has to pick solely football at Nebraska or baseball in the majors.

He goes to Nebraska he gets to do both for 4 years. He goes to MLB he just gets baseball.

No, not at all, you missed this:

or not want to decide between the two yet

meaning exactly that he could and would do both at Nebraska for 4 more years before deciding on one (or he could even be one of the rare double sport pro players like Bo or Deion).

There is even a precedent for playing pro ball first and going to college to play football later, Chris Weinke at Florida St. So going pro baseball now doesn't totally close out football, but that's an even less-traveled path.

I am going to reiterate what LadyHawke said earlier -

"Going to college does more than just give you a degree. It allows one to mature, to build intellect, athleticism and especially character."

Some people, especially a young man such as Bubba, don't need alot of money to make a living. He will have plenty of opportunities in the future to do that.

The fact that he is even weighing the possibility of turning down millions should tell you that money is not #1 on his list of priorities.

Steven M. Sipple: Baseball scouts flock to break down Bubba

Which path Starling ultimately chooses is anybody's guess. He chuckles when he hears people insist they know his plans. They don't know anything about him or what he's thinking, he says.

"I'm mature, but I don't know if I'm quite ready for the next step," he says, referring to a quick jump to pro baseball and, by extension, manhood.

His mom has said she thinks "college would be really good for him."

Starling smiles as he talks about new Nebraska offensive coordinator Tim Beck's recent visit to Gardner. They went through the new playbook, says Starling, a dual-threat quarterback. "That made me excited to go up there," he says. "And I can't wait to fish and hunt with Cody Green." :lol:

If I was in his position I would go pro and take the money. Its too big a risk to go to college with the possibility of career ending injuries or a decline in your production. If pro baseball doesn't work out he can always go back to college and play football.

Is it not possible to suffer a career ending injury in the big leagues as well? :dunno Juss sayin...

If I was in his position I would go pro and take the money. Its too big a risk to go to college with the possibility of career ending injuries or a decline in your production. If pro baseball doesn't work out he can always go back to college and play football.

Is it not possible to suffer a career ending injury in the big leagues as well? :dunno Juss sayin...

Of course, but you don't have to give back the multi million $ bonus money if you do.