Look at B10 QBs

OTOH, you are pretty high on Washington and Green

I don't think I've ever had a single post so misunderstood. I just listed off some guys.

We do have a lot of talented recruits rising up in the secondary. However, we do have a lot of names in that WR corps too, and it's turned out to be more of a corpse than corps. So far. Fortunately I think we are far better with coaching on the defensive side of the ball and secondary in particular.

I would attribute that mostly to coaching. It's a huge question mark whether we've solved that problem or not. Time will tell.

no they dont, but in the big ten it seems like they are more successful because of the pro style run heavy offenses, and by run heavy i mean big bruisers at rb who run the ball 25 times a game and they qb is more of a game manager from under center

while that may be true, just because you are in a conference doesnt mean that you have to play the same type of ball that the rest of the teams in said conference play.

I don't think I've ever had a single post so misunderstood. I just listed off some guys.

I know you were. You have more confidence in the secondary than I do, though. I agree, the coaching is way more promising back there. But I just worry what if, these are a bunch of players that disappear? I hope not.

I hope PJ Smith gets his career here back on track by the way. Very excited about him since last offseason but it seems his stock dropped a bit last year. I wonder if Damion Stafford is going to be our next standout JUCO. I hope so.

I know you were. You have more confidence in the secondary than I do, though. I agree, the coaching is way more promising back there. But I just worry what if, these are a bunch of players that disappear? I hope not.

I hope PJ Smith gets his career here back on track by the way. Very excited about him since last offseason but it seems his stock dropped a bit last year. I wonder if Damion Stafford is going to be our next standout JUCO. I hope so.

I think PJ spent too much time with Thenarse, and it lead to some bad habits, and he got benched.

My confidence in the secondary comes from three things:

One, I think Dennard will be a shut-down corner this year, taking away the other team's top WR.

Two, I think between the bevy of young guys we have, that ONE at least will step forward and perform well on the other side.

Three, I think that we won't see any passing attack even remotely as sophisticated as we've seen from the likes of Texas Tech, Missouri, Oklahoma State or even Oklahoma/Texas.

I have high hopes for Corey Raymond and I believe he has the knowledge to be a good coach. If he can adequately teach what he knows, we're in good shape.

If Dennard can mitigate the threat posed by the best guy we face next year, I have few worries that our remaining guys will be as good/better than the rest of the WR corps we will face in the Big Ten. Combine that with what should be a very good D Line capable of creating pressure and a LB the caliber of LaVonte David capable of taking away the hot read and you've got a recipe for a nation's-best pass defense.

no they dont, but in the big ten it seems like they are more successful because of the pro style run heavy offenses, and by run heavy i mean big bruisers at rb who run the ball 25 times a game and they qb is more of a game manager from under center

while that may be true, just because you are in a conference doesnt mean that you have to play the same type of ball that the rest of the teams in said conference play.

i completely agree i was generalizing that most of the qbs in the big ten that have been really successful have been game mangers for the most part, but there is no reason why t-mart or a running qb cant be successful, it all just matters on wether he has someone to take some pressure off of him

We're going to be absolutely fine in the secondary. Osborne and Cassidy played at a high level once they got onto the field starting with the Missouri game. Dennard is every bit the college cornerback that Prince Amukumara was, and Ciante Evans showed last year that he's got some serious game. Those are our starters. We're going to be in a 4-3 base way more often in the Big 10, there's not going to be as much need for guys like Gomes and Hagg to be on the field every single down.

This is what our base defense should look like, I would think:

Crick, Steinkuhler - DT

Meredith, Martin - DE

David, Fisher, Compton - LBs

Dennard, Evans - CBs

Osborne, Cassidy - Safties

I have plenty of confidence in our defense.

Even if we need more DBs, you've got Stafford, Cooper, Green, Smith and more to choose from. We're going to be fine.

Ill give you my take: TMart will be the best QB on the field in each Big Ten game we play because the Blackshirts will make each one of the other QBs look pedestrian at best. Especially when we get Joe Williams here on campus. Then we will have two future high round draft picks at each corner position. A lot of people think we will see a huge drop off in secondary play with all of our loses and Sanders moving on. I really don't think we have anything to worry about. We still have a lot of experienced guys that saw better WR-ing cores and QB play last year than what they are going to see this year.

Amen. I have zero worries about anyone in the Big Ten passing against us. They had damned well better be able to run the ball or they will be three-and-out over and over and over and over.

Between Fonzie, Evans, Washington and Green we will be just fine at CB, and with Cassidy, Smith, Osborne and (possibly) Stafford our Safeties will be more than up to the task. Our secondary will instantly be the best or second-best in the Big Ten (Ohio State being the possible exception).

Why the possibly in front of Stafford's name Knapplc? Do you know something I don't?

As far as I last knew, Stafford was a possible academic casualty when the fall rolls around. Has that fear been put to rest yet? It would be a major bummer to lose out on him. Bear in mind, I've been out of the Huskerboard loop for a month or two now, unfortunately...

One, I think Dennard will be a shut-down corner this year, taking away the other team's top WR.

Two, I think between the bevy of young guys we have, that ONE at least will step forward and perform well on the other side.

Three, I think that we won't see any passing attack even remotely as sophisticated as we've seen from the likes of Texas Tech, Missouri, Oklahoma State or even Oklahoma/Texas.

I have high hopes for Corey Raymond and I believe he has the knowledge to be a good coach. If he can adequately teach what he knows, we're in good shape.

If Dennard can mitigate the threat posed by the best guy we face next year, I have few worries that our remaining guys will be as good/better than the rest of the WR corps we will face in the Big Ten. Combine that with what should be a very good D Line capable of creating pressure and a LB the caliber of LaVonte David capable of taking away the hot read and you've got a recipe for a nation's-best pass defense.

In every tidbit I have heard from current players about Raymond, they are saying he is much more technical about the secondary than Sanders. Apparently Sanders just help put the guys into postion, and then let them do their thing. It worked out pretty dang well. Raymond demands more technique from the secondary boys than did Marvin. Now, as far as I'm concerned, as long as Raymond doesn't go overboard to the point that playing within the defense becomes too technically confusing (cough cough... WATS...), our guys should be fine. Hopefully, it even allows them to improve some deal because they understand the defense better.

I somewhat agree with them. But I will strongly disagree with the last statement. The last statement about "other QBs shining" shows an Iowa bias. They are clearly refering to their hope for Vandenberg to be who they think he is.

Ill give you my take: TMart will be the best QB on the field in each Big Ten game we play because the Blackshirts will make each one of the other QBs look pedestrian at best. Especially when we get Joe Williams here on campus. Then we will have two future high round draft picks at each corner position. A lot of people think we will see a huge drop off in secondary play with all of our loses and Sanders moving on. I really don't think we have anything to worry about. We still have a lot of experienced guys that saw better WR-ing cores and QB play last year than what they are going to see this year.

oops just committed to baylor. I didnt see that coming either.

Amen. I have zero worries about anyone in the Big Ten passing against us. They had damned well better be able to run the ball or they will be three-and-out over and over and over and over.

Between Fonzie, Evans, Washington and Green we will be just fine at CB, and with Cassidy, Smith, Osborne and (possibly) Stafford our Safeties will be more than up to the task. Our secondary will instantly be the best or second-best in the Big Ten (Ohio State being the possible exception).

Why the possibly in front of Stafford's name Knapplc? Do you know something I don't?

As far as I last knew, Stafford was a possible academic casualty when the fall rolls around. Has that fear been put to rest yet? It would be a major bummer to lose out on him. Bear in mind, I've been out of the Huskerboard loop for a month or two now, unfortunately...

In every tidbit I have heard from current players about Raymond, they are saying he is much more technical about the secondary than Sanders. Apparently Sanders just help put the guys into postion, and then let them do their thing. It worked out pretty dang well. Raymond demands more technique from the secondary boys than did Marvin. Now, as far as I'm concerned, as long as Raymond doesn't go overboard to the point that playing within the defense becomes too technically confusing (cough cough... WATS...), our guys should be fine. Hopefully, it even allows them to improve some deal because they understand the defense better.

The only question about Stafford was whether he would be here in January or June. Never whether he would qualify or not.

Joe Williams to Baylor is certainly something nobody saw coming. :facepalm