Heard and Marrow

So the likelihood that Rex has a really good backup is very high.

I've been wondering about this. Is Rex going to be our every-down back, or is he best utilized as a change-of-pace guy? I know he was the primary ball-carrier in high school, but in college does he project as that guy or are we going to see Heard/Abdullah/Green take the bulk of the carries like Helu and have Rex spell them?

I've been wondering about this. Is Rex going to be our every-down back, or is he best utilized as a change-of-pace guy? I know he was the primary ball-carrier in high school, but in college does he project as that guy or are we going to see Heard/Abdullah/Green take the bulk of the carries like Helu and have Rex spell them?

Damned if I know. Those three freshman have awesome talent but Rex is pure money. It's really almost a no lose scenario....

• Fire 1

His body could take the beating of being the first go-to guy on the depth chart in my opinion. He seemed to be a bit faster than last year during the spring game as well. It will be interesting to see how that positions plays out. Given the lack of experience at the position right now, however, I could easily see Burkhead being our guy early but then perhaps getting switched around a lot more as the season progresses.

There is a lot of potential at the running back position right now and I'm just hoping those younger guys can make an impact early.

Rex will be the guy. I believe he'll be that kind of guy that you see working hard and want to have the ball, but every Sunday when you see he had 100 yards you are surprised because you didn't notice it. I would think we'll see a lot of no gainers/two yard runs/5 yard runs that end up being 2 yards/4 yards/ 8 yards just because he has the ability to fall forward after contact. I hope one of the 3 steps up, but I have a hard time believing one of them will be able to step up and take a lot of carries away from Rex.

Rex will be the guy. I believe he'll be that kind of guy that you see working hard and want to have the ball, but every Sunday when you see he had 100 yards you are surprised because you didn't notice it. I would think we'll see a lot of no gainers/two yard runs/5 yard runs that end up being 2 yards/4 yards/ 8 yards just because he has the ability to fall forward after contact. I hope one of the 3 steps up, but I have a hard time believing one of them will be able to step up and take a lot of carries away from Rex.

From what I see Heard looks the best of all incoming backs. However, he may need this next year to keep up with school & getting into shape. If he were to RS I sure like him for the 4 yrs - assuming he doesn't go out early.

We all know that exceptional HS highlight tapes aren't proof positive of how a young man will fare in college ball, but my word...Braylon sure has the look of a breakaway back with blinding speed. I get all tingly downstairs when I think about it, but in fairness, I haven't been taking my meds. (The ones I've been prescribed, anyway.)

To think that we could have all freshman returning kicks and punts kind of makes a guy nervous.

Yeah, but we are coming from Niles Paul who seemed to be the perpetual freshman when it came to mistakes...

Really? You are a troll my friend

If everyone who's ever griped about Niles and his ham-fisted ball carrying ways is a troll, then about 3/4 of this board are trolls.