Tressels Resignation - Good for Nebraska?

When are people going to realize that these lists of "candidates" for these jobs are not factual, they're dreamed up by the guy writing the article. These lists are fabricated with the sole intent of keeping your eyeballs glued to their website/TV show, nothing more.

The administration at Ohio State isn't emailing ESPN or CBS or Yahoo or Sports Illustrated with a list of candidates. No "insider" in these programs is leaking this info to these guys. The only reason there's a list of names is so you will watch/read/listen. That's it.

Exactly! I love how people are already starting to hit the panic button about Bo going to OSU. I wonder if these are the same people that thought the world was going to end last weekend? dunno.gif

Purely speculation but Bo has to be on their list. He's a defensive genius and has done wonders turning thing around at Nebraska and has ties to tOSU. I hope he doesn't go, but the temptation to coach at his alma mater and get the program back on track may be too good to pass up.

From a very narrow-minded view, yes, this gives Nebraska (and ten other teams) a better chance to win the Big 10 this year (and probably for several years to come). But ultimately this is a terrible thing for the Big 10. The Tressel-coached Buckeyes have been the only consistent national powerhouse in the Big 10 for the last decade.

Do we want to say we won the Big 10 thanks (in major part) to the best program being decimated by losing the best coach, or because we beat the best program and the best coach? I'd take the latter, regardless of the risk of losing it carries with it.

Nebraska needs its Katie Couric.

Purely speculation but Bo has to be on their list. He's a defensive genius and has done wonders turning thing around at Nebraska and has ties to tOSU. I hope he doesn't go, but the temptation to coach at his alma mater and get the program back on track may be too good to pass up.

I heard Callahan because he once beat Michigan in a bowl game. chuckleshuffle

Seriously, no current Head coach other then probably Kiffin would take a job that they would only have 100 days to get ready and with sanctions from the NCAA looming over said school. Would have to be quite a slimeball to leave a school that gave you first chance at being a HC with no time to find a replacement.

I had a feeling this thread would turn into the "Bo is leaving" show. IMO there is no way that Bo is going to leave for the mess that is going on at OSU. He has things rolling here, just got a pay raise, and has the chance to take NU to the top of the Big 10. Makes no sense to me, also his wife has said she doesn't want to move again. If momma ain't happy ain't no one happy. IMO the top two for OSU to go after is 1. Urban Meyer 2. Bob Stoops. They'll get one of those two JMO.

Isn't there a rule that prevents head coaches from jumping schools within the same conference?

I know we aren't technically in the big ten yet, but...

No rule. I doubt Bo is on top of the list but if he gets a call I think he takes it. It's not every day you get offered the best job in the Big Ten and get to go home at the same time.

From Adam Rittenberg on ESPN Big10 Blog:

Urban Meyer issues statement

May, 30, 2011 May 304:41PM ETEmail Print Comments6 By Adam Rittenberg

Urban Meyer released a statement Monday following the resignation of Jim Tressel as Ohio State's coach.

MeyerIt reads:

I am committed to ESPN and will not pursue any coaching opportunities this fall. I have thoroughly enjoyed working with the people at ESPN this spring and remain very excited about my role with the network this fall.

Jim Tressel has been a respected friend and colleague for a long time. I wish Jim and his family the very best now and in the future.

As many are pointing out, Meyer's statement only pertains to this season. His name has been and will continue to be mentioned as a potential replacement candidate at Ohio State, which says it won't look for a permanent head coach until after the 2011 season.

Meyer was born in Toledo, Ohio, attended college at Cincinnati and served as a graduate assistant for Ohio State in 1986-87.

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini, who played safety at Ohio State, grew up in Youngstown and is being mentioned as another potential candidate to replace Tressel, also issued a statement Monday.

It reads: "Jim Tressel is an outstanding football coach and a good man. I've followed and respected his career since his days at Youngstown State, and through his tremendous success at Ohio State the past decade. He will be missed in college football."