Wilson to Wiscy

Sweet Jaysus someone give Crick a little credit. He had a better season than most defensive lineman in the entire country. And how exactly do we know what kind of CB Evans will become? And when was the last time the FS spot wasn't a question mark heading into a season?

The point is our defense wont be as good as last year. Our secondary was the best secondary in the nation and we lost three playmakers in prince, gomes and hagg. Our defense will probably go down a notch but will still be a good d

Sweet Jaysus someone give Crick a little credit. He had a better season than most defensive lineman in the entire country. And how exactly do we know what kind of CB Evans will become? And when was the last time the FS spot wasn't a question mark heading into a season?

The point is our defense wont be as good as last year. Our secondary was the best secondary in the nation and we lost three playmakers in prince, gomes and hagg. Our defense will probably go down a notch but will still be a good d

We lost both O'Hanlon and Asante and still had the best secondary in the country last year. The point is Bo kinda has an idea what he's doing over there and we have the depth now to reload. I don't automatically agree our defense will be worse this year. In fact, you could make a strong argument that we will have a better defense this year. The line is more experienced, and we're more experienced at LB. We're really only replacing 1 starter in the secondary considering we'll most likely be running a lot more 4-3 this year. Although I do agree it won't be easy to replace Prince.

We lost both O'Hanlon and Asante and still had the best secondary in the country last year. The point is Bo kinda has an idea what he's doing over there and we have the depth now to reload. I don't automatically agree our defense will be worse this year. In fact, you could make a strong argument that we will have a better defense this year. The line is more experienced, and we're more experienced at LB. We're really only replacing 1 starter in the secondary considering we'll most likely be running a lot more 4-3 this year. Although I do agree it won't be easy to replace Prince.

We lose prince, gomes (who had great playmaking ability) and hagg. If you look at most of our sacks last year, they were mostly coverage sacks. Our run D wasnt the greatest and our dline sometimes played medicore. We dont exactly have depth at lb, we have one lb spot that we know ill produce but what about the other two? Has fischer, may or compton even produced for us yet? What about nickelback this year? How will evans do in a starting role? Yeah Pelini is a great coach but you cant coach experience and we still dont know how well these guys will produce..

Wilson at badger land coming this season, to the fans out there I hope he is not a bust for ya. Before a few wet their pants about playing a game against the badgers, I would like to point out that we have a good D. The hype is what it is for this Wilson. The badgers are going to have to earn their points on the gridiron against us. Yeah, I like the idea that it will swing the prediction to the badgers favor to win it all this year. It will be fun making them earn it, if they can with this superstar.

The problem is that our defense isnt nearly as good as the past two years. David was the only guy in the dline/lb position that did well. Crick and steinkular played ok and didnt get great play from our other lb spot. Dennard will be a great CB but ciante wont be a shut down corner, our FS position is a question mark, osborne will be a decent SS but will still be inexperienced, may, fisher and compton still have to proof themselves..this d can get yards racked up against them and i feel wisconsin will be able to move the ball now with wilson at the helm :(. Lets hope im wrong

We will be fine of what we have.

:bonesflag:

Late entry: B1G blog I just read that Nebraska is ranked #1 today on Defense.

Edited by NebraskaShellback

5877743314_d861915109.jpg

It's funny when it is about Wilson. What is funnier is people still think Bubba comes here.

I have to see it to believe myself.

As much as I'd like Bubba to suit up for NU in the fall, I'm fully in the mindset that he will not be here and am not incorporating him in our roster. However if I'm wrong, I'll just be wrong but I'll be elated.

They still haven't gotten any stud OL transfers to replace Moffit and Carimi right? Exactly. Their line will probably be good again this year but those two on the left side were road graders.

Also waiting for a breakout transfer to help fill their LB questionmarks.

Wilson will make them better, but like NU their QB questions still remain sight unseen and will only be answered in September.

UW O-line had six guys get at least some All Big Ten mention last season. Three of them graduated.

For 2011, 2010 RT, Ricky Wagner moves over to LT. Josh Ogleby, injured much of last season, goes to RT where he started in 2009. Travis Frederick, a starter as a true frosh in 2009, but injured and redshirted last season, moves in to starting line up. The depth Wisconsin had last season is gone until some youngsters prove themselves.

At linebacker, we hope Chris Borland, the 2009 Big Ten freshman of the year, can come back from the shoulder injuries he suffered. If he does, he'll be exciting to watch.

He blocked a punt in similar fashion as a freshman. He spent much of the 2009 Champs Bowl in the Miami backfield disrupting their offense.

Biggest UW questions are who will provide the pass rush JJ Watt did last season and will we find another effective tight end.

Also, you cant really compare Safeties and CB's. CB's are, by far, the most important position on defense while the safeties are toward the bottom. What about our nickelback? Our dimeback? Our pass defense wont nearly be as good as last year because of losing the most important pass defense position...the cornerback!

Also, you cant really compare Safeties and CB's. CB's are, by far, the most important position on defense while the safeties are toward the bottom. What about our nickelback? Our dimeback? Our pass defense wont nearly be as good as last year because of losing the most important pass defense position...the cornerback!

And we return a legit All-American candidate at that position in Dennard. Only a few schools in the country can say that. Only one school in the country can say they return a legit All-American candidate at all 3 levels of defense - Nebraska. We still have a pretty experienced secondary and a more experienced defense overall. You said yourself experience is vital. If our line improves, and it should (being more experienced) won't that help the secondary? Maybe our pass defense won't be as good, but will it need to be? We'll be seeing more "running" teams than we did last year. It's really hard to compare since last year we basically ran a 4-1-6 most of the year, and the coaches have already said we'll be running more 4-3-4 this year. So obviously the secondary won't be "as good" with 2 less players back there. But it won't need to be. We're still basically returning 3/4 of our starters in the secondary. Your questions about the nickel and dime are fair, but those positions aren't as big of a need as they were in the Big 12. My biggest concern is lack of depth at LB, our secondary and line are loaded. I don't see how you can say our defense won't be as good, as if it's fact. Especially with one of the best defensive minds in the universe as our coach. Maybe it won't be as good, maybe it will be better, who really knows?

CB's are, by far, the most important position on defense while the safeties are toward the bottom.

And... you're done. Teams can stay away from a good corner. Good safeties are involved on both sides of the field against both the pass and the run. CB's might be among the LEAST important positions on the defense. DT, NT, DE's, LB's all rate higher than the CB's in importance.

CB's are, by far, the most important position on defense while the safeties are toward the bottom.

And... you're done. Teams can stay away from a good corner. Good safeties are involved on both sides of the field against both the pass and the run. CB's might be among the LEAST important positions on the defense. DT, NT, DE's, LB's all rate higher than the CB's in importance.

Yep.

While no doubt they're all "important" safeties rank way, way above cbs. They have to defend against the pass "and" are crucial to stopping the run.

Imo, the Dline is #1 & good safety play #2.

I'd say they rank the same as it depends on what defense your running and what kind of offense your playing that week and the fact that there pretty close to the same thing. If you can put your corners on an island that allows you to do more with your other players, so good corner play is important. Safety play is important though as noted above. I do agree that it all start's upfront and that DLine is number 1.