Texas A&M is rattling the SEC sabre again because of ESPN 8: The Bevo

makes you wonder, what if NU stayed? what if NU stayed and got it's own network? what if NU stayed and was able to force texas to join a big XII network?

We wanted a Big 12 network. Perlman asked the other chancellors to give up their media rights to the conference. Texas said no.

We were prepared to do our own network, but were willing to put our interests aside for the greater good. Well, and to expose the greed of Texa$$. I hope that every Big 12 school gets their own network. Even if they operate for 4 hours every other year for the game involving the visiting UTerus football team.

Emailed & asked what carriers have the WrongWhoren network. Nice form letter. Answer=NONE!

Thanks for reaching out.

The Longhorn Network launches August 26, 2011. The 24-hour University of Texas network will televise 200 University of Texas events annually. Action includes a variety of men's and women’s basketball games – some won’t be televised elsewhere - at least one exclusive football game and Olympic sports coverage, pregame and postgame shows for football and basketball games, coaches' shows for every sport Texas sponsors, university news, coverage of lectures and visiting speakers along with commencement ceremonies and other daily programming.

We are currently in active discussions with providers and hope to reach an agreement soon. Please call your cable operator and request they add the Longhorn Network and visit getlonghornnetwork.com to register your request.

Sincerely,

Sean

ESPN Viewer Response

In the words of Gomer Pile "Suprise Surprise Surprise!

was driving accross KS yesterday listening to sports radio out of KC. All I could think was "told you so". the 610 guys were talking about the big 12 not making it 3 years, TX going independentand the league scattering to Mtn west, big east, etc.

I am sooo glad we are gone.

if I was TU, id do the same thing...

A&M's Regents Meeting notes re: Longhorn network per San Antonio

Of Note:

Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin used the term “uncertainty” time and again Thursday in describing the state of the league, thanks to the start of the ESPN-owned Longhorn Network in Austin next month.

The Aggies' uprising against the $300 million enterprise has appeared to pay off for A&M. Hours after Loftin addressed the issue following a closed-door session by A&M regents concerning the matter, Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe released a statement.

“Until the (Big 12) members have a chance to consider all of the issues and come to conclusion about how the conference will manage interplay between the conference television package and institutional networks, no more than one live football game will be televised on any institutional network,” Beebe said. “And no high school content will be televised on a branded member's network.”

Loftin said the LHN has no business showing Big 12 football games, and especially high school games that might target top recruits.

Loftin, too, is aware the Longhorn Network has caused a swell of support among many A&M fans for a move to the Southeastern Conference.

“Many people see the SEC as the country's strongest football conference,” he said. “Certainly looking at the last five national championships, you get that idea. ... But the Big 12 has had great success, too.”

Bottom line--the groundswell for A&M to go to the SEC, regardless of Beebe's and Dodd's gestures, is there and growing. And it's now a battle between the will of the fanbase and of $ Bill Byrne. And we all know too well $ Bill is about the AD cup and is willing to sacrifice revenue sport success (read: going to the SEC) for non-revenue sport success (read: staying put in the Big XII).

Unless the Bevo Network is eradicated completely, it's going to come to a head, and I don't think $ Bill will survive. His tenure is still on shaky ground, and any knowledgeable booster/fan/alum you come across can't stop talking about the $16 million their AD owes.

Not good at all, for A&M, the Bevo Network, or the Big XII...it's schadenfreude at it's finest. :)

It seems to me like Beebe is bluffing. I don't quite understand how the BigIX has the authority to state what the Longhorn network can and cannot use for it's programing that the BigIX does not have rights to. I don't know how this will all unfold, but ESPN has put a lot of money into their network, and can't be happy about this.

I don't see how having high school games on their network will benefit Texas. They already get their pick of the litter...

They do and they don't. I've seen it explained how they try to maintain that myth in the way they recruit on some board somewhere, I cant remember where.

Obviously they recruit pretty much exclusively Texas, but supposedly they don't offer kids that aren't ready to commit. So unless a kid says "I want to commit" they don't get an offer and if they don't want to commit early they look to second choices who will. It gives the Illusion that they get whoever they want. They don't always.

Per the HuskerMax board, Tim Brando of CBS is saying OU, Okie Lite, Mizzery, and AtM to the SEC, and that talks behind closed doors are underway.

Link

Granted, this is a CBS talking head that is discussing this, but they have been in bed with the SEC for some time now. If he's saying as such, then I'm inclined to think this is beyond closed-door discussions, and there's a sense of certainty in the air about this.

While I'm still not sold on the SEC going to 16, I am sold on something happening soon.

Per the HuskerMax board, Tim Brando of CBS is saying OU, Okie Lite, Mizzery, and AtM to the SEC, and that talks behind closed doors are underway.

Link

Granted, this is a CBS talking head that is discussing this, but they have been in bed with the SEC for some time now. If he's saying as such, then I'm inclined to think this is beyond closed-door discussions, and there's a sense of certainty in the air about this.

While I'm still not sold on the SEC going to 16, I am sold on something happening soon.

Someone is going to go to 16, and if you can get the right 4 teams to do it, might as well. That's not a bad 4 teams to add. Mizzou and OSU have been playing better then they ever have over the last decade, OU is as strong as anyone in the SEC, and A&M opens up Texas recruiting and markets.

I still think Mizzou covets a big ten invite, but who knows what went on between them and the big ten last year.

They'll all flirt with the SEC or PAC as an option, I wonder if or when the conferences will get sick of it and just say look, either join or don't we aren't doing this flirting every time Texas pisses you off.