Texas A&M is rattling the SEC sabre again because of ESPN 8: The Bevo

What I find strange about this is the timing of it. The Big10 stories or rumors last year didn't start up until about December or January. Nothing needs to be decided on this subject until about May. A&M could be bargaining here with this chip to change TLN somehow. This just seems way too much info out there that doesn't need to be out there. Texas politics.

I enjoy observing the Big12 drama much more with the view from the BIG10.

Maybe Mountain West Conference will pick up the automatic bowl bid. It won't be the WAC. No conference is going to touch the Longhorns will their own TV station when the Big 12 crumbles. SEC is looking for a two team expansion, look for Missouri to jump ship. They missed their opportunity for the Big Ten, they won't pass up an invite from the SEC. I suspect if Missouri and Texas A&M leave for the SEC. Larry Scott is going to be on the phone calling Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to make the PAC-14. Teams like Kansas, KSU, ISU, Texas Tech and Baylor will have to find a place in either the Big East, MAC, or Con-USA. Texas will end up being independent, just like they deserve, unfortunately it will work out for them being independent.

What I find strange about this is the timing of it. The Big10 stories or rumors last year didn't start up until about December or January. Nothing needs to be decided on this subject until about May. A&M could be bargaining here with this chip to change TLN somehow. This just seems way too much info out there that doesn't need to be out there. Texas politics.

I enjoy observing the Big12 drama much more with the view from the BIG10.

The full details for the Longwhorn network have just recently been made public, and we didn't know until a month or so ago about the clause that expects UT to get a Big XII conference game on their network.

While these things take time, I fully expect the rush and timing is so Aggie can go to the SEC in 2012 and not have to endure two years of being jobbed by Walt Anderson, Dan Beebe, and UT via the Big XII office.

Matt Hayes has an article up about the potential team to move with aTm.

Of note:

Dan Beebe walked onto a makeshift stage last month, music from “The Natural” blaring and the booming voice of an emcee proclaiming the “man who held it all together” cutting through the cheesy moment at the Big 12 Media Days.

Fast forward to late last night, when Beebe, the embattled Big 12 commissioner, all but admitted Texas A&M was ready to leave for the SEC. In three weeks, the Big 12 has gone from a rebranded conference with renewed confidence, to plugging leaks all over the good ship Beebe.

Don’t expect the SEC to expand by one and leave the league with an uneven number of schools. The SEC will expand only for value, and that means television markets and/or recruiting territory.

If the SEC can’t get Oklahoma—a Big 12 source told Sporting News last month that both the Texas A&M and Oklahoma board of regents had approved a move to the SEC in the summer of 2010 before Beebe saved the league—the SEC likely stays in the south for expansion.

Forget about Florida State, Miami or Georgia Tech. Current SEC schools in those states won’t allow it. Virginia Tech and Missouri would be secondary considerations. That means Louisville and Clemson are at the top of the list.

Okay--I've said this before, and I'll say it again--Matt Hayes in a snaggletoothed idiot. On one hand, he acknowledges what folks like myself have said for quite some time now: this expansion is about media markets and TV programming. Then he offers up two schools that already exist in the SEC footprint. :laughpound

Clemson has been kicked around before here as a possibility, but not Louisville. But since both reside in the SEC footprint, then it stands to reason that the same logic that keeps FSU, Miami, or Georgia Tech out of the SEC should keep Clemson and/or Louisville out.

So once you take Matt Hayes' suggestions off the table using his own rationale against him, you're left with VA Tech and Missouri. And since VA Tech is tied to Virginia (not unlike OU is tied to Okie Lite), that's reasonably off the table as well.

And you're left with one school...Missouri...who, if you haven't noticed, has been deathly quiet about all of this as of late. That's not very Missouri-like, now is it? :)

Colorado left first! :)

Is the SEC really considering Missouri. I know media market but Missouri will end up around Ole' Miss calibur.

Missouri was always Ole Miss calibur. They only made it to the Big 12 Championship game twice and OU soundly beat them both times. Plus there is only so many calibur teams left to pick from you eventually have to take the also rans.

Agreed but perhaps I should clarify. I was thinking as opposed to remaining in a depleted conference or joining the big 10. In the big10 they would still be middle pack but top of the middle instead of bottom like Ole' Miss.

Colorado left first! :)

Is the SEC really considering Missouri. I know media market but Missouri will end up around Ole' Miss calibur.

Missouri was always Ole Miss calibur. They only made it to the Big 12 Championship game twice and OU soundly beat them both times. Plus there is only so many calibur teams left to pick from you eventually have to take the also rans.

Agreed but perhaps I should clarify. I was thinking as opposed to remaining in a depleted conference or joining the big 10. In the big10 they would still be middle pack but top of the middle instead of bottom like Ole' Miss.

Yeah but atleat Ole Miss can claim they are in the bottom half of the best conference in college football. What's Mizzou's reason?

Is it possible A&M could lobby for a 50% share in Texas' profits in their private network and sharing programming? The legislature could make it happen in order to keep them together.

I would consider something like that the least likely of outcomes. I don't even know if A&M has any legal recourse to that money.

Is it possible A&M could lobby for a 50% share in Texas' profits in their private network and sharing programming? The legislature could make it happen in order to keep them together.

People keep bringing up the legislature, but they're not a factor in this for the next two years unless Rick "Adios Mofo" Perry calls a special session. They just ended their last session, and they don't meet again until 2013, after the elections (IIRC). I don't think Perry wants to expend political capital on this, so until he does that makes this a non-factor.

Then again, this may be why there's a rush on this--to get the deal approved before a special session can be called for.

People keep bringing up the legislature, but they're not a factor in this for the next two years unless Rick "Adios Mofo" Perry calls a special session. They just ended their last session, and they don't meet again until 2013, after the elections (IIRC). I don't think Perry wants to expend political capital on this, so until he does that makes this a non-factor.

Then again, this may be why there's a rush on this--to get the deal approved before a special session can be called for.

Yes they are a factor. They would be called back if one of the state's flagship school decides to leave the Big 12.

Yes they are a factor. They would be called back if one of the state's flagship school decides to leave the Big 12.

By who? the Aggy yell leader Governor in the middle of launching a presidential campaign? Puh-lease.

• Fire 1

remember all the talk about the B1G expansion being based on media markets and TV...then they expanded by adding a team w/ neither. I don't think it will be all about markets for the SEC. It'll be about increasing the quality of the league - because that's what increases the $$, not an extra batch of TV sets. The best quality product garners the most value.

remember all the talk about the B1G expansion being based on media markets and TV...then they expanded by adding a team w/ neither. I don't think it will be all about markets for the SEC. It'll be about increasing the quality of the league - because that's what increases the $$, not an extra batch of TV sets. The best quality product garners the most value.

good point.

By the way love the avatar lol.

Seems like wishful thinking.