Anyone worried about beck as our offensive coordinator

josh

As long as he is good enough to get us 24 points a game I will be elated. As we would have had only one or two losses in the last couple years with 24 a game.

This, it isn't like we need world-beater offense. We'll have to win a shootout once a year. For the most part we just need an O that can put-up decent points consistently while not blowing our leg off with turnovers.

There will be growing-pains. What I want to see is improvement over the course of the season, and finally a sense that we have a vision and identity again. I like the things Beck is saying about being physical, tailoring the system to your athletes, bringing the philosophy of the defense to our offense, simplifying while giving players a better grasp of the scheme and philosophy, etc but talk is cheap. Remains to be seen what happens when the rubber meets the road. My guess is we have a pretty salty O by the end of the season and together unit come next season.

I can hardly imagine Beck doing any worse.

This is why I'm not nervous. I'm used to scoring by threes.

Yeah, but we're losing the man who was damn near automatic with those threes.

Funny you should mention that. I just woke up from a dream where Nebraska's new kicker made TWO 57 yard field goals in the same game.

It's not just one game dude...that was the most prolific offense in KU HISTORY

:rollin now that's something to write home about

...and Co-coordinator Tim Beck helped make that possible. So there ya go...

I'd argue that had a lot more to do with the HC and OC, but here's to hoping Beck can create some of that production 'round these parts. :)

I can hardly imagine Beck doing any worse.

This is why I'm not nervous. I'm used to scoring by threes.

Yeah, but we're losing the man who was damn near automatic with those threes.

We had a guy that was nearly automatic under 50yds, may never see another Henery. We'll need to take the heat off our kicker and make our opportunities count for 7 this season.

I was nervous about it once he was named the OC because of two things.

1. He's not a big name or a proven OC.

2. I have no idea what our offense is going to be capable of.

I hope he's successful as hell and it all works out.............I just wasn't big on him getting hired and Cotton still being around once the dust settled.

How quickly we forget his input in this. I'm sorry in advance.

Against the softest defense in Nebraska football history....

Yeah not impressed. That defense was pathetic. Watching this video, and watching Courtney Grixby even participate on a D1 football field is just ridiculous. If Beck couldn't produce against a Cosgrove defense, he wouldn't have gotten hired in the first place. Lets see what he can do against some good teams.

One thing I can immediately tell from this film... Taylor Martinez DOES NOT have the arm Todd Reising did. He can't put the ball where Todd put it for his receivers. He can't make a lot of those throws like Todd did. I think that's what hurts us most with him. Teams know this... they know he can run, they know Burkhead can run, they know BK can catch, but Taylor doesn't place the ball in ideal places for his receivers. You watch every touch down pass we had last year and all looked awkward... Kyler Reed having to stop and wait for the ball a bit to catch it. BK catching the ball at his knees. Niles Paul having to adjust his speed significantly for a ball that should have been caught out front of him in full stride. He just looks awkward when he throws and throws balls in hard places for receivers to catch.

And on BECK...

Our offense can't be much worse than it was the past 2 seasons. Our defense is going to be just as good if not better. So I'm not too worried. The fumble problems we had the past two years can't get much worse. The lack of passing attack we had last year can't get any worse. "Opposing our will on our opponents" meaning we do what we want no matter where their defense lines up is gone (thank heavens). Beck already has done a few things that are going to prove pivotal.

1. We now look at the defense and go where they are weak. Watson used to say who cares if they have 7 in the box, we're still going with the running play we called 2 minutes ago. Beck says "Taylor, audible it. See what the defense is doing and go where they are weak, where they have a mismatch."

2. Receivers don't run to a spot and wait for the ball. Receivers now look at who's guarding them, evaluate which moves work best, and then use those moves to pick one of 3 or 4 routes available to them that will be hardest for that defender to get to.

3. Taylor is now lining up primarily in the shot gun. He's going to see the field well and direct back there. He can change things if needed.

4. Offensive Line and Running Backs have a 3 deep of depth. This is going to enable us to stay more fresh, play physical etc. We had a lot of injury concerns the past 2 years on the offensive line resulting to very very thin spots. Now if someone get's hurt put #2 or #3 in and it's similar talent.

5. Watson used paragraphs to call plays. Now, Taylor can say the play in a sentence. This speeds up the tempo so defenses can't get set as well and get their breath. This makes for less chance of mishearing a play call and thus confusion amongst players. This leads to smaller learning curves for young players and hopefully, faster time on the field. etc.

We've heard reports out of summer practice that the offensive line looks great. Some of those freshmen are indeed coming up behind Burkhead. Taylor has his legs back. Kenny Bell and Jamal Turner are lightning fast receivers. Team bonding is the best it's been since the 90's. Brandon Kinnie and several others have stepped up to lead big time. The defense is the deepest and smoothest it's been since Pelini has been here. Nothing to worry about.

1. I thought Watson was the one who said we shouldn't run at teams who stack the box and would audible to what the defense gave us.

2. Routes will still be called in huddle. There will be an opportunity for the receiver and quarterback to go with what they both see when the defense presents itself.

3. I thought we need to move to more under center run right at teams. I think it would have helped our o-line's confidence. I thought too many times last year we had too much play development and not enough explode off the ball and just driving your guy to Canada.

4. We have nothing proven about our depth at RB. We have loads of talent to compete, but no locks outside of Rex.

Beck has to be better then watts right? I mean from what i read about football 202 seems like the players have really bought in to his system already. them seem more upbeat and they are acting like they want to play. it seem like in some games towards the end of the year they seem like they gave up alot and didnt want to play for watts at all thats what it seems like in the hoilday bowl.