The growth of Taylor Martinez

I gather that we'll be having a few stories/blogs like this over the next few weeks as the team tries to dispel the stigma that Taylor is not a "team guy" or whatever his rep is.

Martinez growing, in more ways than one

We first heard of quarterback Taylor Martinez’s summertime growth last week, from running backs coach Tim Beck.

Thursday at Big Ten media days, we heard it again.

“I’m not around Taylor a whole lot, but what I see of him, he’s talking to his guys, he’s getting after them. That’s something that you wouldn’t see before at all,” defensive tackle Jared Crick said.

And from what Crick said, Martinez isn’t just bigger in a figurative sense.

“Taylor in the weight room, he’s working extremely hard. He’s gained a whole lot of weight,” he said. “He’s huge now.”

Bo Pelini also talked of Martinez’s improved leadership.

“We feel really good about where Taylor is,” Pelini said. “He's had a great off-season. He had a tremendous spring. He's had a phenomenal summer. I think he's more engaged as a leader. I think he's really taken it upon himself to grow in that area. I think he's becoming a tremendous leader on our football team, holding his teammates accountable, holding himself accountable. I think he's poised to have a great year.”

Pelini declined to give specific examples of how Martinez is better as a leader. But Crick talked of how Martinez was with the team at every team barbeque, every team event this summer.

“He’s just out there chilling with us. He’s just one of the guys. He's just doing his part to be a leader on the team, and he's doing a great job at it. I couldn't be more proud of him."

For all the criticism Taylor took about the whole 'be a leader' thing, imagine being a freshman anything where leadership is expected. Now imagine playing under a veteran like Suh. Suh's doing something, and since you're supposed to be a leader, you're supposed to 'get after him,' 'encourage him,' 'lead him.' Replace Suh with any upperclassmen you like. Tell me what you'd say to those guys when you're three or four years behind them and green as wetland grass? Most guys would keep their yaps shut.

As I've said before, Taylor's situation was ridiculous. Usually QBs are at least redshirt sophomores before they start seeing significant time at major programs. There are plenty of exceptions, obviously. What people sometimes neglect to think about is that being a leader is like being a quarterback, a coach, a teacher, a marine, a X, a Y, a Z––you get better at it as you go along. You get better at it as you get comfortable with it.

For all the criticism Taylor took about the whole 'be a leader' thing, imagine being a freshman anything where leadership is expected. Now imagine playing under a veteran like Suh. Suh's doing something, and since you're supposed to be a leader, you're supposed to 'get after him,' 'encourage him,' 'lead him.' Replace Suh with any upperclassmen you like. Tell me what you'd say to those guys when you're three or four years behind them and green as wetland grass? Most guys would keep their yaps shut.

As I've said before, Taylor's situation was ridiculous. Usually QBs are at least redshirt sophomores before they start seeing significant time at major programs. There are plenty of exceptions, obviously. What people sometimes neglect to think about is that being a leader is like being a quarterback, a coach, a teacher, a marine, a X, a Y, a Z––you get better at it as you go along. You get better at it as you get comfortable with it.

Exactly!

It still amazes that people don't get this!

if tmart has really gotten alot bigger and has kept his speed in doing so he will break alot more arm tackles and be the next................... tim tebow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

All he has to do now is grow 3 inches, lengthen his throwing motion by 50%, and speak like he's in first grade...and he'll be right there.

if tmart has really gotten alot bigger and has kept his speed in doing so he will break alot more arm tackles and be the next................... tim tebow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

24 hour ban.

idk why you would ever feel this way, i mean you know that tmart is the next tebow and that tebow was the best college QB ever!!! :sarcasm