Carl: Defense is deeper, more knowledgeable

knapplc

Randy York's Q&A with Carl Pelini:

Q: You've watched the film, analyzed the players and determined where you are as an overall defense. Where are you?

A: Ahead of where we were last year. We made such huge strides last year throughout the camp and throughout the season, so we have to match that. I think we're as deep as we've ever been physically, and I think that knowledge-wise, we're ahead of where we've ever been. But again, the improvement has to match what's it's been because being ahead at this point doesn't really help you all that much.

Q: Can you describe the defenses you've coached in your first three years here and how this one might compare to the first three?

A: In terms of numbers and guys you can put in the game that have experience, we're deeper in the secondary, and we're deeper up-front. Because of injuries last year and other issues the first two years here, we've ended each season with a lot of question marks at linebacker. We still don't have great depth there yet, but we're developing that, and I do believe if we can stay healthy in fall camp, we're not going to have the question marks that we've had at linebacker. Right now, I'd say we're a little bit ahead of the game.

Q: What's the greatest strength of this defense?

A: I think the strength could be all three levels across the board. Early on, we were really good up front. Last year, obviously, I thought we were really talented in the secondary. The year before, injuries at linebacker kind of hurt us. So, I'd say we have experience and play-makers at all three levels.

Carl should answer every question with a one word answer "STOUT"

How do you feel the defense is playing? STOUT.

How do you feel the younger players on defense are picking up the scheme? STOUT.

What kind of beer do you like? STOUT.

How do you like your women? STOUT.

See? It kind of breaks down there.

I Love all the talk im hearing about our depth on the Dline, this is were it all starts and Im really excited about the rotations along the line we have on hand to keep the guys fresh all year.

Remember 2009 with Cam ande Baker were the only subs along the line. We have come so far.

Q: How far is Nebraska going back to its physical roots on offense?

A: You know, there is nothing in sports - and this goes back to when I was a high school coach - that compares to being involved in a football game and knowing, as a coach, that you can simply impose your will on the team across from you. It doesn't matter what they run, you know you can hit 'em in the mouth and stop it. And you know that whatever you call on offense, you're going to knock 'em off the ball and gain three or four yards. That is the most thrilling feeling as a coach, and on the other side of the ball, it's the most defeating and disheartening moment in sports because it leaves you grasping at straws and knowing there's nothing you can do to stop it. That's what you work for - on offense and defense.

:yeah

Carl should answer every question with a one word answer "STOUT"

How do you feel the defense is playing? STOUT.

How do you feel the younger players on defense are picking up the scheme? STOUT.

What kind of beer do you like? STOUT.

How do you like your women? STOUT.

See? It kind of breaks down there.

Speak for yourself......bone is for the dog....meat is for the man!!!!!

I really wish they would calm all the talk down. It seems we are talking a lot of talk. Let the actions on the field make your statements.

We are preparing to be better, nuff said in my mind.

It's an interview for huskers.com... Do you want him to say we suck?

Actually in the Pelini-esq way I think it's kinda what we expect at this point, so not want him to say that but expecting it. I mean it's still kinda early in camp so I think we'll could get back to more of the "not thrilled with the effort today" type stuff before camp ends just to remind them they haven't actually done anything yet.

However, this is the highest praise I can remember for the team so far from the staff, especially on defense. That's exciting to me, because if they are excited as they seem to be after having some scary good defense already in previous years... It could be an interesting year and I wouldn't be happy if I was a big ten opponent reading it.

If we're really that deep on the D-Line, why don't we just line up 5 D lineman, Lavonte and Compton Fisher at LB's, and LETS DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We don't go with the 5-2 because it only got us so far back in the 80s and early 90s. Once Dr Tom figured out we needed to go 4-3 and depend more on speed and athleticism (like the Miamis and FSUs that dominated us), we were golden. Obviously there's a time and place for 5 DLinemen, but that time and place should be limited to goaline stands.

Q: How far is Nebraska going back to its physical roots on offense?

A: You know, there is nothing in sports - and this goes back to when I was a high school coach - that compares to being involved in a football game and knowing, as a coach, that you can simply impose your will on the team across from you. It doesn't matter what they run, you know you can hit 'em in the mouth and stop it. And you know that whatever you call on offense, you're going to knock 'em off the ball and gain three or four yards. That is the most thrilling feeling as a coach, and on the other side of the ball, it's the most defeating and disheartening moment in sports because it leaves you grasping at straws and knowing there's nothing you can do to stop it. That's what you work for - on offense and defense.

:yeah

God I miss that.