Alleged Miami Violations "Biggest NCAA Investigators Have Ever Seen"

nowhereman

Why exactly did Shapiro come out with all this? If he loved the school/football program enough to pay millions, why is he ratting out and basically sinking the program? My only guess is he's so egotistical and hungry for fame - the same reason he wanted to be the sugar daddy to dozens of kids over a decade.

He was quite open about why - basically wanted the players to show him a little love, at the very least bail him out of jail. When they didn't all come running to the slimeball's aid when he started having the legal issues, he sought a little "payback".

This is a pleasant surprise. Mark Emmert tells USAToday that the COI isn't against using the Death Penalty:

LINK

Asked if a return to the "death penalty" ? shutting down a program for a year or more, a sanction already in the books but used only once against a major-college program (Southern Methodist in 1987) ? would serve that purpose, he said, "We need to make sure that we've got, for the committee on infractions, all the tools they need to create those kinds of deterrents.

"If that includes the death penalty, I'm fine with that."

The more I think about it, it's the ONLY way to deal with the situation. They need to make a an example out of Miami and send a strong message.

This is a pleasant surprise. Mark Emmert tells USAToday that the COI isn't against using the Death Penalty:

LINK

Asked if a return to the "death penalty" ? shutting down a program for a year or more, a sanction already in the books but used only once against a major-college program (Southern Methodist in 1987) ? would serve that purpose, he said, "We need to make sure that we've got, for the committee on infractions, all the tools they need to create those kinds of deterrents.

"If that includes the death penalty, I'm fine with that."

The more I think about it, it's the ONLY way to deal with the situation. They need to make a an example out of Miami and send a strong message.

I agree but for some reason I don't think it'll happen though.

Tom Osborne doubts death penalty for Miami

GRAND ISLAND -- What shape will Miami's football team be in 2014 and 2015, when Nebraska is scheduled to play the Hurricanes?

For that matter, will there even be a Miami football team to play?

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne said he's given thought to the scheduling matter in light of Miami's recent troubles. The Hurricanes are under NCAA investigation for allegations of numerous extra benefit violations.

"It crossed my mind when I read the initial reports," said Osborne, who spoke Thursday at the Huskers Hoops Coaches Caravan at the Heartland Events Center.

"Of course, sudden death is probably pretty extreme, and I doubt that would happen. But you also don't want a program that's so depleted, scholarship-wise or whatever, that they're not a representative team.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_dad4326e-0c95-589b-9cb9-7c7c85c1240d.html

SMU kind of thumbed their noses at the NCAA and were pretty brazen and open about the cheating. Bragged about it. That's one reason why they got the death penalty. Miami isn't quite as bad from what I have read but in some ways it's worse because the activities were illegal vs NCAA rules.

One thing about Thomas's case is you really can't categorize this as an impermissible benefit by a booster because he's not a booster for Nebraska. If he was seeking to be an agent then it would be an issue. This whole deal is rotten eggs. Smells bad all the way around. Not a fan about Thomas's 'snitching' comment. That's like prison creed isn't it?

From what I heard, much of the NCAA is afraid to use the Death Penalty, because of Tue impact it had on SMU and its conference. Lombardi went on to quote that the Death Penalty war like the nuclear bomb when it came to NCAA punishments. It was something that at all cost the NCAA would try and avoid.

I have heard the same thing.

From what I heard, much of the NCAA is afraid to use the Death Penalty, because of Tue impact it had on SMU and its conference. Lombardi went on to quote that the Death Penalty war like the nuclear bomb when it came to NCAA punishments. It was something that at all cost the NCAA would try and avoid.

I have heard the same thing.

+2

I think Miami will get ripped a new one but I don't see the death penalty.

Well, Miami has thumbed their nose at the NCAA...

What about Shapiro's involvement with the baseball team that got them pinched '03 to 05?

Isn't that a pretty blatant disregard for NCAA policy.

I think the deserve the death penalty.

I agree. If you're not going to use it for extreme cases...say, a school that has been on probation every decade since the 1980s *and* was already on probation for serious violations, then why even have it on the books?

And again, any arguments about using the death penalty and how it impacts those around the program are not valid arguments, especially if you propose in your next breath to punish Miami heavily. The ACC already knows they're going to lose TV ratings and bowl revenue--the group Miami associates with is already being impacted in the same manner as if Miami were to receive the death penalty.

Hell, look at Nebraska--the Journal Star article makes it sound like Miami is likely off our schedule, regardless of death penalty. Would fans honestly value a zombified Miami program shambling into Lincoln to play? No, and Dr. Tom knows this, which is why you may see a move to drop Miami (and perhaps add a certain school from Norman with an open 2014 date?).

So tell me again what the difference is between protracted punishment and the death penalty, as the later seems to be a more efficient penalty method and carries a very similar impact to those around the program?

What about Shapiro's involvement with the baseball team that got them pinched '03 to 05?

I agree. If you're not going to use it for extreme cases...say, a school that has been on probation every decade since the 1980s *and* was already on probation for serious violations, then why even have it on the books?

And again, any arguments about using the death penalty and how it impacts those around the program are not valid arguments, especially if you propose in your next breath to punish Miami heavily. The ACC already knows they're going to lose TV ratings and bowl revenue--the group Miami associates with is already being impacted in the same manner as if Miami were to receive the death penalty.

The problem is that the death penaly won't impact anyone who was reponsible. Shapiro isn't staying in jail longer. It might have some effect on the current UM athletic department but I bet most responsible are getting canned anyway.

EDIT: Or that will be the perception anyway. I think the institution was endemically corrupt for a long time. I'm not quite sure if the DP would change that once they came back.

yeah that's what people are saying and I kind of agree. The whole conference will be punished with the death penalty and it's not their job to police each other.

Maybe they should, did you hear this stuff? Two Hurricanes coaches took recruits to Shapiro's home: Source

The source, who asked to remain anonymous, says former assistant coaches Clint Hurtt and Joe Pannunzio used Shapiro as a recruiting tool. He says they took prospective players to Shapiro's home on several occasions. However, he says he was not aware of players accepting cash or lavish gifts. . .

Hurtt, now a defensive line coordinator at Louisville, wouldn't be commenting, school officials said. Pannunzio, now director of football operations at the University of Alabama, was also unavailable for comment Friday

Florida International should takeover Miami's schedule

Why exactly did Shapiro come out with all this? If he loved the school/football program enough to pay millions, why is he ratting out and basically sinking the program? My only guess is he's so egotistical and hungry for fame - the same reason he wanted to be the sugar daddy to dozens of kids over a decade.

I believe the reason was that when he was a financial trouble before being sent off to jail, he reached out to those players he helped along the way that are now in the NFL. They basically ignored him, so he blew the whistle.

Just like in SMU case, dont piss somebody off that knows they were violating NCAA rules. In the SMU case it was a player, in the Miami case it was a booster.

The problem is that the death penaly won't impact anyone who was reponsible.

That's just it--it's not one person that's responsible, but a whole corrupt program that has been corrupt since the 1980s.

And again, even if you slap Miami with USC-style sanctions, schools that aren't named Miami are going to get hurt. You think anyone (that's not a fan of the schools) will tune in to an ACC match with Miami being hobbled, or Nebraska's non-con tilt with them in 2014?

Collateral damage will happen, regardless of the punishment. Best to make it quick and merciful for the benefit of the other 11 ACC members and those schools that scheduled Miami for NC play, than to make them all collectively suffer.

Frankly, I would rather see Miami get the death penalty and be off our schedule (so we don't have to buy out the contract) so we can go get someone else instead of playing a weak Miami that no one will care about for two years.