Couple other things I noticed

walksalone

1. Legate needs to work on his blocking before getting too many more carries.

2. Seriously, I can not for the life of me understand people's fascination with the Rexcat. Why in the world would we use that when we already have a QB who can run the ball? No kidding, if someone could answer this for me, I'd appreciate it, because I see it brought up all the time on this board and just don't understand it.

1. Understandable, but why are you going to show it right out of the box, then not again the entire game. There were a couple times where it would have been useful.

2. I'm not fascinated with it, just something else to keep the opposition reacting to us.

Burkhead's mistakes should have him running steps. He missed blocking assignments, he failed to keep proper separation on the Option, he flat-out went the wrong way on Taylor's second TD run, and overall it looked like his head wasn't in the game. I don't know if he was thinking too much, just going through the motions or what it was. We know he's a hell of a good RB, so chalk it up to first-game jitters I guess, but after watching the game again, I just have to laugh at those folks thinking we need to feature him more than Martinez. Based on what we saw Saturday, we would need less of Rex.

Of course, Saturday was a meaningless game, and it's not indicative of anything, but if we're using that game to bemoan the horrible fate of our offense under Martinez, we cannot ignore the mistakes Burkhead made. Of the two, Martinez had by far the better game.

1. Legate needs to work on his blocking before getting too many jmore carries.

2. Seriously, I can not for the life of me understand people's fascination with the Rexcat. Why in the world would we use that when we already have a QB who can run the ball? No kidding, if someone could answer this for me, I'd appreciate it, because I see it brought up all the time on this board and just don't understand it.

Seriously, I can not for the life of me understand people's fascination with T-Mart's running ability. Why in the world would anyone think that his skills are comparable to Rex. One makes plays and the other makes big runs when no one is around.

Don't kid yourself, Taylor is the biggest playmaker on this offense. And it isn't even close.

This offense needs Taylor to be the biggest playmaker which is precisely why you will see something eerily similar to 2010. It's not there guys and it won't be.

Where?

This offense needs Taylor to be the biggest playmaker which is precisely why you will see something eerily similar to 2010. It's not there guys and it won't be.

Just curious-Why do you think it 'won't be'?

Because rationality takes a back seat when the sky falls and hysteria kicks in.

If you noticed the entire game was spent running plays they hadn't run in live games before. They didn't run anything they had run before other than a couple dive plays. We saw no deep pass to Reed, no zone-read, no Rexcat etc. etc.

It isn't like they aren't going to run the zone read anymore. Basically the last game was about running stuff they weren't 100% comfortable with at live speed and working on getting them buttoned down for better opponents, it wasn't about running the things they already know they can do effectively. Which is why I'm not nearly as pessimistic as most.

I agree, that's exactly what I was thinking and hoping for two reasons:

1. Taylor won't last the half the season running the option as much as they did.

2. I've seen smoother option play ran by a high school freshmen team.

And so it begins again already.

Seriously once again(this is looking like such a repeat of last year again) I will chime in deeper when we watch Taylor perform against a real defense. He looked good on occasion Saturday, and yes it was the first game, but I will not throw him/Rex anyone on offense to the top of the "playmaker" list because of a performance after this game or probably the whole NonCon.

Having thought the game was rather vanilla and monotonous, I watched it again with my analyst wife and older son. The thing that should stand out here is that Taylor DID NOT check down on his reads. He keyed in on one receiver and one receiver only. If you go back and watch it again, look at how many times Cotton is open for a big a gain or TD and gets absolutely no look. Start with the last few plays of the first half and it just gets worst. Beck needs to change this, Taylor has the arm, just not the vision. Or, maybe he doesn't have confidence in his protection, very understandable, the O-Line sucks again. No physicallity, no passion. They couldn't knock of glass off a table as it was teetering. Sure everyone made mistakes, Rex, Legate and even David was caught out of position, but there is no excuse for Taylor not reading his receivers and making plays. All this game did was add confidence to the Mocs season.

1. Legate needs to work on his blocking before getting too many more carries.

Seriously, I can not for the life of me understand people's fascination with T-Mart's running ability. Why in the world would anyone think that his skills are comparable to Rex. One makes plays and the other makes big runs when no one is around.

Hateraid much?

Burkhead's mistakes should have him running steps. He missed blocking assignments, he failed to keep proper separation on the Option, he flat-out went the wrong way on Taylor's second TD run, and overall it looked like his head wasn't in the game. I don't know if he was thinking too much, just going through the motions or what it was. We know he's a hell of a good RB, so chalk it up to first-game jitters I guess, but after watching the game again, I just have to laugh at those folks thinking we need to feature him more than Martinez. Based on what we saw Saturday, we would need less of Rex.

Of course, Saturday was a meaningless game, and it's not indicative of anything, but if we're using that game to bemoan the horrible fate of our offense under Martinez, we cannot ignore the mistakes Burkhead made. Of the two, Martinez had by far the better game.

Thank you. Rex ran the wrong way on the 2nd TM option, he ran into Taylor's back on a screen pass, he also ran a route to the wrong side at least twice, and he ran to the wrong side on a PA that resulted in the only sack. I love Rex, but people who are trying to blame all the offense problems on TM are complete retards. It was sloppy all around. Only Enunwa seemed ready to go. Reed missed some blocks, as did Cotton. Kinnie couldn't catch a cold. TM did an OK job in the pass game, going through his first 2 options before bolting, which he didn't do last year. He just needs to learn to slide.

I formulated a few other thoughts on the 3rd review. Not sure if they are good or not but here they are....

1) I am glad Tmart is scrambling if no one is open, but he needs to hang for 3 seconds. There were a few times he flushed at the count of 1/ quick 2. Hanging in the pocket to a count of 3 will open up the field a bit more so if he has to scramble and gives his receivers time to run their routes. It looked like the pocket was fine.

2) Follow your fullback. Use your blockers. If he ducks up get on his outside hip.

3) Fullback was getting awful wide on those options. Looks like he could of taken on the next defender but instead went on to the corner.

4) Time to put this game in the old bit bucket. It's hashed out.

I think their are a lot of people you can blame for Saturday's choppy offensive performance right up to coach Beck. Rex, T-Mart, the offensive line, wide receivers. It seemed like everybody on offense can be held at least somewhat accountable for us not looking so sharp on Saturday. Just my .02.

We have to improve.

I think the rexcat will show up eventually. Regardless of Martinez's health, the formation/play was too consistently effective to shelve it permanently. Last year against Colorado I think we ran the same play like 6 times in a row for an average of 7 yards per snap. I might be exaggerating, but we ran it a LOT. They knew it was coming and they couldn't stop it.

• Fire 1

Thank you. Rex ran the wrong way on the 2nd TM option, he ran into Taylor's back on a screen pass, he also ran a route to the wrong side at least twice, and he ran to the wrong side on a PA that resulted in the only sack. I love Rex, but people who are trying to blame all the offense problems on TM are complete retards. It was sloppy all around. Only Enunwa seemed ready to go. Reed missed some blocks, as did Cotton. Kinnie couldn't catch a cold. TM did an OK job in the pass game, going through his first 2 options before bolting, which he didn't do last year. He just needs to learn to slide.

It is downright amazing, isn't it?

NU might have the "best" fans in the nation. But the sharpest? Well.........

Tmart rushes for 135 yds (7.1 ypc) & 3 Tds, 11 for 22 (including the drops) passing the ball and....."he sucks!!".

lol!

• Fire 1