What did we learn???

walksalone

We played a very well coached, over achieveing team. They have done this to many top programs. Pat Hill has them ready to play and they never think they are going to lose. Most of the kids were passed over by major Pac 12 schools. They have a chip on their shoulders.

I agree we have a lot of work and Polk scares the hell out of me next week.

Pat Hill just gets so much out of his kids in games like this. Truly amazing, and most will understand the results, as they have taken Wisconsin to the limit twice and beaten Illinois twice recently.

All is not lost by any means.

The world has ended. I agree wholeheartedly. We're fine.

Defensively:

Negatives

We didn't defend rollouts very well

We don't cover the backs well in the passing game

We need to get more speed at the nickel

Our safety got beat deep a couple of times and we had some busted coverages.

Dline was inconsistent.

Positives.

Played a little better in the 2nd half.

David had a good game

Green is settling in.

Offensively:

Negatives

Not much yardage from our Ibacks. I dont think Heard or Green saw any time.

Oline still has a long way to go.

Still looking for them to open up the playbook a bit

TMart runs too upright and is going to get knocked into next Wednesday. Needs to secure the ball.

1 of our WR needs to concentrate on catching the ball.

Positives.

Play action resulted in big plays.

Not a lot of penalties.

Speed kills

Special teams:

Negatives:

Our bullets were overrunning on coverage.

Their bullets were beating us down the field. We did a terrible job of jamming.

Postives:

Maher had a few good directional punts.

Snapping & Ball handling/fielding all good.

Blocking good.

Only 1 punt that was not so good (low and outkicked coverage)

Coverage got better as game went along.

Return guys are making first guy miss

If Wisconsin is #8 the way they are handling business, we are NOT #10.

It's a mythical ranking system, who says we are unworthy of being at number 10?

11, 12 and 15 won one possession games. 14 played one of the worst teams in the country and 16 lost.

We may find there is a larger gap between us and the teams above us at this point in the season than what we would like, but that doesn't mean we don't have a much a claim to ten as any of the teams below us.

• Fire 1

Our offense is really, really good. They just don't know it yet.

Our coaching staff doesn't make adjustments as well as say, Fresno State's coaching staff. Their staff saw what hurt them against Cal and fixed it this week. Quick passes, rollouts to keep the QB upright... our staff needs to make those week to week adjustments better. Beck did make some nice second half adjustments though.

Carr is going to be a hell of a quarterback.

I'm begining to think that Oregon-style hurry up offense and those QB rollouts we heard so much about this offseason were myths.

Our offense started out really rough again, but had a much better night than the defense. People who bash Martinez after this game are off their rocker. He was really, really off target in the begining of the game, but he's about 95% of our offense. If people still want to bench 95% of our offensive productivity, then they're just looney.

• Fire 1

If Wisconsin is #8 the way they are handling business, we are NOT #10.

It's a mythical ranking system, who says we are unworthy of being at number 10?

11, 12 and 15 won one possession games. 14 played one of the worst teams in the country and 16 lost.

We may find there is a larger gap between us and the teams above us at this point in the season than what we would like, but that doesn't mean we don't have a much a claim to ten as any of the teams below us.

exactly.

Call me crazy but I think the team is improving. If they keep getting better week to week they should be strong at the end of the year. Oline will get better. D will get healthy and get better. Offensive play calling continues to be better then last year.

I don't think you're crazy. There were some gradual improvements as the game went along.

The offense gets better and better as Beck slowly takes the handcuffs off. I think he and the rest of the offensive coaches went into this game thinking that they could be pretty vanilla and conservative and get by. I think by halftime, they realized that Fresno isn't UCT, and they can't continue to slowly implement the offense, but rather execute and use the offense, which is why we saw a major improvement in the second half. That being said, the offensive line does have a long way to go, and the reasoning behind not starting Jamal Turner is beyond me...

We struggle with misdirection on defense

Hell, we struggle with misdirection on offense too.....

Haha! True, but I saw some encouraging things on offense, I just hope he get Turner and Bell the Ball more along with Burkhead. It's more concerning with the D though cause I'll bet that UW will use Price in rollouts next week. I know Wilson, Robinson, Persa will be utilized in that manner.

Other then what was mentioned, Martinez needs to learn how to look for more then one WR when passing. It seems like he can only look for one and cannot take his eyes off him.

My dad called up after the game and said that there were multiple times that when he was looking at one covered WR, there were others or Rex wide open. You get Taylor to be multiple on the passing, we will do alot better in that type of situation.