More Kudos to the fans

HuskerDens

Let's be real. I'm usually in the student section as I'm loud and will never act old. That said I sat in north stadium for utc and it was lame. Fresno I was in student section and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was loud and excitable. Our fans need to realize how sad it is to sit for a game. Stand up and freakin shout. Any top 25 team should have an insane home advantage....we don't anymore. During utc I moved from north to northwest where my parents sit to say hi and stood and yelled and had three people tellineg me to sit down and be quiet. Sorry bluehairs....its time to restore memorial stadium volume. Crank it up!

Let's be real. I'm usually in the student section as I'm loud and will never act old. That said I sat in north stadium for utc and it was lame. Fresno I was in student section and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was loud and excitable. Our fans need to realize how sad it is to sit for a game. Stand up and freakin shout. Any top 25 team should have an insane home advantage....we don't anymore. During utc I moved from north to northwest where my parents sit to say hi and stood and yelled and had three people tellineg me to sit down and be quiet. Sorry bluehairs....its time to restore memorial stadium volume. Crank it up!

Problem is those same bluehairs will call security and have you removed which is a bunch of B.S. I'd have a hardtime not coming unglued on security if they tried to remove me from the stadium after how much I spent on tickets and I'm a cop. I've never had anyone tell me to sit down and be quiet which is probably a good thing............I'd probably lose my cool.

I'm fairly certain this is a backhanded compliment. I was at the game and a knitting competition would have been more rowdy. The atmosphere at Memorial Stadium is laughable at best. I dont know a coach in america that wouldnt love to come play a road game here and its not because its such a great place, its because the atmosphere is the least hostile and gives the opposing team the best chance to win.

I thought the atmosphere was rowdy for that game...i dunno where you were.

You're joking right.......I could hear Carr calling out the snap from the 43rd row in the North endzone when FSU was on the 10 yd line going into the South endzone. It was pathetic. I've gotten so fed up with it at this point, i really have no desire to even go to games anymore.

No you couldn't. If everyone was perfectly quiet, this would still almost be impossible just with quiet bodies in the seats absorbing the sound, and I know not every single person was perfectly quiet. It may not have been hostile, but this is an exaggeration.

A definite exaggeration. I sat in the south stadium for the Fresno game and the students were making plenty of noise. The fans around me were hollering as much as I was. Carr would have to be wearing a mic to be heard in the north stadium while he was facing south, and all the folks in the south stadium were facing north, shouting at you.

In fact, this was as loud as I've heard the stadium since the Missouri game. It wasn't jacked the entire time, but basically as soon as FSU scored, it got louder and stayed louder than normal.

I was in the Northwest corner of the endzone for the Chattanooga game and though some people around me weren't yelling off the top of their lungs, and the girls in front of me were talking about their new kitchen at their house... it was still so loud I couldn't hear myself scream at times. Could we be louder? Absolutely! Especially once the new addition is finished and the height on that side traps in the sound better. But the problem is this... season ticket holders. Several of the season ticket holders are old at this point. The student's only get 10% of the stadium and there are no plans to include them in stadium expansion seats. The other 90% consists of families with children who half pay attention to the game because they're worried about keeping their kids full, happy and it consists of 50-70 year old season ticket holders who don't want to let go of their tickets because they are worth some serious dough and bragging rights. So the old people sell the tickets off or go to the games and sit their with the radio on their heads listening to the game on the radio rarely cheering. So you have a stadium full of women who come to the game to wear their cute shirts and talk to their friends because cornhusker football is the cool thing to do on Saturdays and a social event. You have the families who bring their kids to enjoy the game but end up tending to their kids who do not have the attention span or mental capacity at this point to know whatsoever what is going on, except they know they have a man's jersey on named Burkhead. And then you have the guys who come with headphones on their ears to take note of statistics and listen to the game on the radio. Throw in a few roudy fans here and there who "disrupt the peace" these people came for, and a few complaints about the north end zone volume level and there you have it.

Pretty funny article from Art Thiel, beat writer for the Huskies up in Seattle:

Ask anyone who traveled to Lincoln the last time the Huskies played there, in 1998. Like me. It was like being at an all-day Nordstrom sales training session. Everyone was polite, courteous, shook hands firmly and made eye contact directly, seemed interested in your welfare and offered to do most anything to help your visit. By the time I left, I was hoping to be adopted. I guarantee I wasn’t the only Seattle visitor so affected.

Which is not to say it wasn’t weird. It’s almost a law that Big Red is injected into every newborn and newcomer, maybe even travelers changing planes at the airport. A lot of college towns get wrapped around the axle of the high-profile team, but Lincoln residents, as well as the entire state population, seemed linked at the cultural cerebellum to the thick-necked boys of the corn.

Yet fans somehow retain the perspective that the visiting team is, in fact, the visiting team, not the Taliban. After the Huskies were walloped 55-7, Nebraska fans surrounding the visiting team’s tunnel exit stood and applauded the vanquished purples. No mockery, no name-calling, no meanness.

LINK

The obvious compromise in all of this is to move the student sections to the first rows--you get your rowdiest fans closest to the field to make noise.

Unfortunately, that won't happen while Dr. Tom is the AD. Sad, really--his treatment of the students will possibly taint his perception among some of our younger fans and doesn't help replace fans that are getting too old for the stadium.

I'm fairly certain this is a backhanded compliment. I was at the game and a knitting competition would have been more rowdy. The atmosphere at Memorial Stadium is laughable at best. I dont know a coach in america that wouldnt love to come play a road game here and its not because its such a great place, its because the atmosphere is the least hostile and gives the opposing team the best chance to win.

I thought the atmosphere was rowdy for that game...i dunno where you were.

You're joking right.......I could hear Carr calling out the snap from the 43rd row in the North endzone when FSU was on the 10 yd line going into the South endzone. It was pathetic. I've gotten so fed up with it at this point, i really have no desire to even go to games anymore.

No you couldn't. If everyone was perfectly quiet, this would still almost be impossible just with quiet bodies in the seats absorbing the sound, and I know not every single person was perfectly quiet. It may not have been hostile, but this is an exaggeration.

A definite exaggeration. I sat in the south stadium for the Fresno game and the students were making plenty of noise. The fans around me were hollering as much as I was. Carr would have to be wearing a mic to be heard in the north stadium while he was facing south, and all the folks in the south stadium were facing north, shouting at you.

In fact, this was as loud as I've heard the stadium since the Missouri game. It wasn't jacked the entire time, but basically as soon as FSU scored, it got louder and stayed louder than normal.

That's the problem. Our normal isn't very loud anymore. I sat in the front of east stadium student section and spent most of the game just trying to amp up the rest of the student section. Go and listen to the Oklahoma game two years ago. That's how we need to be all the time.

The obvious compromise in all of this is to move the student sections to the first rows--you get your rowdiest fans closest to the field to make noise.

Unfortunately, that won't happen while Dr. Tom is the AD. Sad, really--his treatment of the students will possibly taint his perception among some of our younger fans and doesn't help replace fans that are getting too old for the stadium.

As long as money is the driving force of society, this will never happen. I dont care if Jesus Christ or the damn student president is the AD.

That's the problem. Our normal isn't very loud anymore. I sat in the front of east stadium student section and spent most of the game just trying to amp up the rest of the student section. Go and listen to the Oklahoma game two years ago. That's how we need to be all the time.

We're not going to be "Oklahoma loud" every game, though. It's not reasonable to expect the stadium to be rocking when we play Middle Directional State College. Nobody gets amped for those games. Right, wrong or indifferent, almost nobody thought we'd have a four-quarter game against Fresno, either, so they weren't all jacked up early on. It got loud later on, right?

According to Rivals, Nebraska ranked sixth in the nation in season ticket cost last year – but that's a bit of a misapprehension of the total cost, since the minimum donation of $150 will only get your name on the waiting list, where you'll stay for years just giving $150 a year. When you factor in the real cost of a season ticket, they get priced out of the range of most younger people pretty quickly. Hence you have an older, more affluent crowd rather than a younger, more energetic crowd.

I think the East Stadium skyboxes will help focus sound quite a bit, making the place louder, but even still I doubt we ever get close to Husky Stadium or Autzen or places famed for their noise. Our crowd is old. Older people yell less, on average.