What did we learn???

walksalone

1. Shawn Watson is gone. I love the game game the Beck called from beginning to end. It was so far from predictable. In the end, he was wearing them down and he stuck with it.

2. We don't need to burn a running back scholly for another 3 years. Burkhead is the go to guy, but we have three guys that can actually get to the corner.

3. I thought T-Mart played to the best of his ability. I have been critical of his play, but I thought he played well. He covered the ball, threw it out of bounds and didn't take a delay of game. The problem I still have is that a QB like Ganz or Zach Taylor would throw for 500 yards with the weapons that are on the field.

4. We have big play receivers. Kyler Reed is going to get destroyed getting hung out over the middle sometime this season.

5. I hope when Dennard is back we start seeing more blitzes. I don't think the secondary is great, but they need some help with pressure. I couldn't tell from a lot of the replays, but there were several instances when the safeties (Cassidy) wasn't there to help the corners in the long ball.

6. Maher is still a stud.

7. Dumb penalties and turnovers have been minimized so far this year.

8. The kids don't give up in a 'shootout' game. I'm concerned that we don't have everything in place to consistently compete in a shootout.

9. I throw up in my mouth when everyone talks about Wisconsin. The way this team has looked the last couple years they can loose to/beat anyone. It just depends who shows up. I'm getting tired of everyone pointing to one game.

1) I actually think I have more hope and excitement to see what our young WR's and young RB's can do this year than what our defense will be able to do this year. Is this the year the offense will have to save the defense's poor play?

2) I am shocked at how poorly the defense has played. I now realize why Blackshirts have not been handed out.

3) Same learning as last week...little to no pressure on the QB is going to make for a long day, especially against a young secondary. Baker and Ankrah need to show me more on the DL. Fisher needs to step up. Green is getting absolutely abused out there. We have truly been spoiled on defense last few years... we have gone from playmakers all over the defense to a DL who can't get pressure or stuff the run, slow LB's, and DB's who can't cover.

4) I have an uncanny ability to exactly predict when the opposition is going to throw at Green for a big play.

5) Love how our WR's made some good catches today.

6) Tmart is smart (at least getting better with decisions today).

7) A stable of young fast backs is really going to help us.

8) Rex is still a junkyard dog who wins you the game.

9) Third week in a row...Jamal Turner needs to see the field more!

10) Brandon Kinnie where are you?

11) Maher is playing great.

1. I saw a team that had improved athleticism in many areas and it showed on the field in the form of explosive plays, runs, some tackles and so on.

2. I saw a team that pretty much looked like one that has some senior aspects but is more youth than experience. The result is stretches where they look polished, aggressive, and focused and of course stretches where they look confused, slow, and silly.

3. I'm not a Taylor guy, but I will give a hat tip to the improved decision making. I'm not saying some of those throws were good, but last year he would have made those throws, not slid, AND fumbled the ball OR thrown a pick as he was going down in the clutches of a D-lineman.

4. I say this with all honesty....the defense (on whole; not everyone just the aggregate) looks slow. I am willing to accept that there are a number of new kids that are freak athletes but cannot demonstrate it because they are so mentally engaged in trying to think "Ok, 2 and 8, we called this and I need to be here and that means when they shift this way I need to watch..." and because they are not experienced enough to just react and play in a perfect melding of instinct, knowledge, and skills they appear to be slow and frankly incompetent. Time will tell on this one.

1) I actually think I have more hope and excitement to see what our young WR's and young RB's can do this year than what our defense will be able to do this year. Is this the year the offense will have to save the defense's poor play?

2) I am shocked at how poorly the defense has played. I now realize why Blackshirts have not been handed out.

3) Same learning as last week...little to no pressure on the QB is going to make for a long day, especially against a young secondary. Baker and Ankrah need to show me more on the DL. Fisher needs to step up. Green is getting absolutely abused out there. We have truly been spoiled on defense last few years... we have gone from playmakers all over the defense to a DL who can't get pressure or stuff the run, slow LB's, and DB's who can't cover.

4) I have an uncanny ability to exactly predict when the opposition is going to throw at Green for a big play.

5) Love how our WR's made some good catches today.

6) Tmart is smart (at least getting better with decisions today).

7) A stable of young fast backs is really going to help us.

8) Rex is still a junkyard dog who wins you the game.

9) Third week in a row...Jamal Turner needs to see the field more!

10) Brandon Kinnie where are you?

11) Maher is playing great.

good point, i'm starting to wonder if he'll get lost in the shuffle this year

mels- he got hurt on 1 of the only 2 times he was hit by one of our D linemen about 10 seconds into a coverage sack. If you want claim that makes our pass rush good...

never said it was good.... just pointing out there was some. and he got hit way more than 2 times..... come on now

We both know our pass rush and D Line play was subpar and 180 degrees apart from the accolades and talk it has received. To be honest, I really only remember Price getting hit 2 times by our D line. No way it was "way more" than that. If upon another viewing I find that I'm wrong, I will come back on here and eat my words.

well cam and crick had sacks and I know moore hit him twice while throwing because they show relays of them..

on a side note did anyone else get tired of the announcers talking about price?

Upon re-watching the whole game and paying particular attention to pass rush pressure, I will say it was a little better than my initial feeling but Price still had way too much time a lot of the time. We actually touched him 6 times with linemen. And yes I am counting the time Crick crushed him as only a "touch". The 6 times I counted resulted in a sack or severe play disruption. There were other times he rolled/scrambled out of the pocket but did not appear the play was really disrupted. I am not counting the times we blitzed which wasn't often enough IMO but possibly the coaches are saving some blitz looks for better opponents.

I got tired of most of the announcers commentary including the extra effort to mention Price every possible chance. The constant whining about the kick catch interference...upon replay the only remotely questionable 1 of the 3 was the hit on Rex and at game speed, who is to say it wasn't simultaneous to the catch. I will say that I was impressed with Price though- tough kid and real competitor.

I hate to be a negative nancy with regards to everyone turning optimistic on the offense, but we just played the 108th ranked defense (Washington) thus far in the season. This is coming off playing the 100th ranked defense of Fresno State. The OL is still very worrisome to me.

But Washington had the 7th ranked rush defense. :sarcasm

I hate to be a negative nancy with regards to everyone turning optimistic on the offense, but we just played the 108th ranked defense (Washington) thus far in the season. This is coming off playing the 100th ranked defense of Fresno State. The OL is still very worrisome to me.

Yeah, they're the 108th ranked defense and 100th ranked defense because of us!!! :koolaid2: