What did we learn???

walksalone

I'm thrilled that we won. Caution: UW had played 2 supposedly weak teams. Their pass defense has been HORRIBLE. Martinez & our receivers looked very good (but so Eastern Washington and Hawaii looked great against them). Therefore, I still have a wait and see attitude about our passing attack.

Against these 2 weak opponents the UW defense looked really good against the rush (under 50 yd/game). NU rushed for over 300 yds. Conclusion - our O-Line and RB's are starting to show some real promise. I believe our starting O-Line has one senior (Caputo, center) and 3 inexperienced men - 2 walk on RFr - Choi & Long and 1 true Fr - Moore. I'll be amazed if they hold up against talented, experienced Big Ten D-Lines.

What did we learn?

1- Defense is worse than most of us ever imagined.

2- Offense showed vast improvement since last week.

3- We may not have to totally rely on TM for yardage.

4- Didn't learn but was reminded why I love Burkhead.

5- Pass rush is non-existant and our secondary is struggling.

6- Bo may think too highly of his mediocre defense based on decision to go for it on 4th and 3 instead of kicking Mr Automatic to go up by 16.

If the pass rush is non-existent... why did he spend most of the day scrambling and throwing the ball? It was there this week. Not perfect, but it was better. Just because they didn't bring down the QB every time doesn't mean there is no pass rush...

• Fire 1

1. Chase Rome got some playing time.

2. PJ Smith saw some playing time late in the 4th.

3. Despite not playing at all last week, Heard and Green didnt skip a beat

4. Kenny Bell is fast, Quincy is physical

5. Legate isn't Scheslinger, but he is good nonetheless

6. Andrew Green really gets picked on

7. Ciante Evans had that INT

8. Crick lays down the wood hard

9. Eric Martin is still a ST beast

10. Martinez may not be a great passer, but his big play ability is the key to this offense

What did we learn?

6- Bo may think too highly of his mediocre defense based on decision to go for it on 4th and 3 instead of kicking Mr Automatic to go up by 16.

If the pass rush is non-existent... why did he spend most of the day scrambling and throwing the ball? It was there this week. Not perfect, but it was better. Just because they didn't bring down the QB every time doesn't mean there is no pass rush...

Whatever the case, we're going to have to find a way to get to Russell Wilson. Washington's better at receiver than Wisconsin, but Wisconsin is better everywhere else, and Wilson is more than capable of moving around to extend pass plays. We're going to have to actually get to him, he can't have all day to throw against our secondary.

If you guys want to point fingers at anybody on the defense - do not do it at a very young and promising set of players in the secondary who are still developing and getting their feet wet for the first time.

Point it at that vaunted, veteran DL of ours, supposed to be the most kickass unit on this defense, getting their butts repeatedly handed to them and just not playing up to the standards they have set for themselves.

I am blaming the secondary coach! From the way they looked, the coaching is really lacking back there.......

What did we learn?

Whatever the case, we're going to have to find a way to get to Russell Wilson. Washington's better at receiver than Wisconsin, but Wisconsin is better everywhere else, and Wilson is more than capable of moving around to extend pass plays. We're going to have to actually get to him, he can't have all day to throw against our secondary.

yeah.... we are in trouble in 2 weeks. I am not saying we cant win.... but I dont think we will. i'm worried it will be ugly, like MU or OU bo's first year

What did we learn?

yeah.... we are in trouble in 2 weeks. I am not saying we cant win.... but I dont think we will. i'm worried it will be ugly, like MU or OU bo's first year

I had this one as a win up until they got Wilson to commit to them and I watched him play against UNLV. It's not gonna be pretty unless the secondary wakes the hell up. Our defensive line is going to have to play lights out all game. Wisconsin has been putting up major points and look to be legit contenders, but anything can happen that night. Nebraska has been known to play up to their competition the past few years.

• Fire 1

mels- he got hurt on 1 of the only 2 times he was hit by one of our D linemen about 10 seconds into a coverage sack. If you want claim that makes our pass rush good...

never said it was good.... just pointing out there was some. and he got hit way more than 2 times..... come on now

We both know our pass rush and D Line play was subpar and 180 degrees apart from the accolades and talk it has received. To be honest, I really only remember Price getting hit 2 times by our D line. No way it was "way more" than that. If upon another viewing I find that I'm wrong, I will come back on here and eat my words.

well cam and crick had sacks and I know moore hit him twice while throwing because they show relays of them..

on a side note did anyone else get tired of the announcers talking about price?

If you guys want to point fingers at anybody on the defense - do not do it at a very young and promising set of players in the secondary who are still developing and getting their feet wet for the first time.

Point it at that vaunted, veteran DL of ours, supposed to be the most kickass unit on this defense, getting their butts repeatedly handed to them and just not playing up to the standards they have set for themselves.

I hope more people share this view. I saw a lot of stumbles and trips by the secondary which resulted in a lot of receiver getting a step or two. Very rarely was there a pass completed when there was any pressure on the QB.

Pelini hasn't abandoned the rush 4 mentality even though Suh isn't here anymore. I don't think the secondary is a bad as it may look to some.