What did we learn???

walksalone

Lots to be excited about on O. Young talent!!! Play calling!!!

O-line played its best game.

Burkhead= stud

Turner, Enunwa, Reed Bell will be impossible to cover going forward.

There is real reason to worry about the D. Although, I think Pelini and Co can fix it. If situations were reversed I'd have little hope that the O could get better.

We need Fonzie back. Young DB's aren't ready.

I wish Peso was our base. Compton and Fischer still don't do it for me. Compton in coverage = big trouble

This is the first game I didn't yell "What the F^%$&^% are you doing!!!" at Martinez at least once.

Our kick coverage sucks!

I apparently have no real grasp of kick interference rules.

1) Taylor Martinez played a complete game. Sure there were some moments that I went "Ohhhhh" but all in all, the mistakes he made were a lot less stupid. He slid at the appropriate times and ran out of bounds when it was time to run out instead of trying to make a play. He didn't necessarily rainbow the ball like he normally does and was a lot more accurate passing.

2) How bout that Offensive Line? I really think they came to play today, they opened holes on the outside runs and on some inside runs. I don't recall a whole lot of negative rushing plays in this game. And I thought Washington had a solid rush D that shut us down in the bowl game?

3) Tim Beck knows how to call a game.

4) There's more but I have to go eat, I'm hungry as hell...

What did we learn?

1- Defense is worse than most of us ever imagined.

2- Offense showed vast improvement since last week.

3- We may not have to totally rely on TM for yardage.

4- Didn't learn but was reminded why I love Burkhead.

5- Pass rush is non-existant and our secondary is struggling.

6- Bo may think too highly of his mediocre defense based on decision to go for it on 4th and 3 instead of kicking Mr Automatic to go up by 16.

how did their QB get hurt?

They mentioned he was a bit gimpy from last week, but I don't think Crickenstein leveling him didn't help matters any...

it was his other knee last week.

If you guys want to point fingers at anybody on the defense - do not do it at a very young and promising set of players in the secondary who are still developing and getting their feet wet for the first time.

Point it at that vaunted, veteran DL of ours, supposed to be the most kickass unit on this defense, getting their butts repeatedly handed to them and just not playing up to the standards they have set for themselves.

I thought the Defensive line played well. The run game for UScrub was shut down from about the middle 2nd quarter and on (besides that longer run by Polk in the late 4th quarter, Chase Rome was in at that point). The secondary is young, but there is definitely a problem there. I do agree though, that they will come on in time. Having Dennard back will help greatly.

I thought the D-Line played best with Josh Williams, Crick, T-Mo, and Meredith out there.

The issue with the secondary is first of all no Fonzie, youth, and the DL not getting to the QB. At times today we asked our young secondary to cover their guys for 5-6-7 seconds at a time. Not too many secondaries in the nation can hold that long. If we can mix up the pressure like we did in the third quarter it will take a lot of pressure off our secondary.

• Fire 1

If you guys want to point fingers at anybody on the defense - do not do it at a very young and promising set of players in the secondary who are still developing and getting their feet wet for the first time.

Point it at that vaunted, veteran DL of ours, supposed to be the most kickass unit on this defense, getting their butts repeatedly handed to them and just not playing up to the standards they have set for themselves.

I thought the Defensive line played well. The run game for UScrub was shut down from about the middle 2nd quarter and on (besides that longer run by Polk in the late 4th quarter, Chase Rome was in at that point). The secondary is young, but there is definitely a problem there. I do agree though, that they will come on in time. Having Dennard back will help greatly.

I thought the D-Line played best with Josh Williams, Crick, T-Mo, and Meredith out there.

I agree about the Dline. TMo > Stein

Offensively:

Much better on the o-line. Maybe UW was soft, but I really don't think that was the case. The oline looked like they meshed together a lot better today, and were much more physical. Backs ran hard, and the combination of Rex's tough yards and the frosh rb's speed and elusiveness, I feel fairly good about the running game. Martinez managed the game a lot better. Still sucks as a passer, but if the running game is working well, play action will open up and he does ok with that. He still shys away from contact, which is fine if he's going to slide, but if he's not going to slide, he needs to lower his shoulder. Reed, Bell and Enunwa are studs and need more opportunities. Turner is still not being used as much as he needs to be. Kinnie might be picking splinters out of his butt by the Wisconsin game. Overall, much better, but not good enough to win in conference play.

Defensively:

Not really sure what to say. They flat out sucked today. Secondary is and will take a lot of the heat, but they weren't helped out by the rest of the D at all. The D's crappiness all fed off of each other. The Dline was not getting pressure by themselves (kind of makes sense due to 5-6 blockers vs. 4 rushers, although Suh would tell you otherwise). The linebackers are not good enough to blitz one and still cover assignments with the other 2, therefore not helping the Dline by occupying a blocker. The secondary isn't good enough to lock down receivers to allow linebackers to be lost to blitz packages....yada yada yada. Defense is the epitome of "team", and we just don't have the playmakers at all 3 levels to disrupt good offenses. Dennard coming back will help, but what happens if he goes down again? Is our defense this year like our offense last year, where one guy may make or break a season? I hope not. One guy should not effect a defense quite that much. If the defense keeps up at this pace, I would have no problems taking the over in Wisconsin scoring 45 points. I have faith that the Pelinis will figure it out, but the D WILL cost us more games than the offense this year. Sad to say.

Everything else:

Little disappointed in the team's intensity for 4 quarters. We were up 44-17 and looking to cruise to a bigger win that last year, and the team kind of packed it in. Give UW credit, they came to play, and it took some questionable reffing and a huge boner on special teams for us to put it away. I was not happy to see UW make a game of it in the 4th quarter. This game could have been a 65-17 game, but they team didn't want it enough. That's on the coaches. Bo seems like a guy that would keep pushing to beat every team by 70 pts if they could, but he doesn't seem to preach that on the field. I'd like to see a lot more killer instinct from the team. I'm sick and tired of watching teams crawl back into games they have no business being in (OkSt and OU last year come to mind).

I don't know if I feel any better about this team this week than I did last week to be honest. But I've always tried to be an optimist in life, and until the Cornhuskers actually lose, I won't all that upset. Here's to a 3-0 start to the '11 season.

What did we learn?

1- Defense is worse than most of us ever imagined.

2- Offense showed vast improvement since last week.

3- We may not have to totally rely on TM for yardage.

4- Didn't learn but was reminded why I love Burkhead.

5- Pass rush is non-existant and our secondary is struggling.

6- Bo may think too highly of his mediocre defense based on decision to go for it on 4th and 3 instead of kicking Mr Automatic to go up by 16.

how did their QB get hurt?

They mentioned he was a bit gimpy from last week, but I don't think Crickenstein leveling him didn't help matters any...

When Crick chased him down it looked like a hard fall on his knees.

I agree about the Dline. TMo > Stein

I really hope Bo didn't waste a good 5 star olineman...especially when we've needed good oline help for 3 years!

Offensively:

Much better on the o-line. Maybe UW was soft, but I really don't think that was the case. The oline looked like they meshed together a lot better today, and were much more physical. Backs ran hard, and the combination of Rex's tough yards and the frosh rb's speed and elusiveness, I feel fairly good about the running game. Martinez managed the game a lot better. Still sucks as a passer, but if the running game is working well, play action will open up and he does ok with that. He still shys away from contact, which is fine if he's going to slide, but if he's not going to slide, he needs to lower his shoulder. Reed, Bell and Enunwa are studs and need more opportunities. Turner is still not being used as much as he needs to be. Kinnie might be picking splinters out of his butt by the Wisconsin game. Overall, much better, but not good enough to win in conference play.

Defensively:

Not really sure what to say. They flat out sucked today. Secondary is and will take a lot of the heat, but they weren't helped out by the rest of the D at all. The D's crappiness all fed off of each other. The Dline was not getting pressure by themselves (kind of makes sense due to 5-6 blockers vs. 4 rushers, although Suh would tell you otherwise). The linebackers are not good enough to blitz one and still cover assignments with the other 2, therefore not helping the Dline by occupying a blocker. The secondary isn't good enough to lock down receivers to allow linebackers to be lost to blitz packages....yada yada yada. Defense is the epitome of "team", and we just don't have the playmakers at all 3 levels to disrupt good offenses. Dennard coming back will help, but what happens if he goes down again? Is our defense this year like our offense last year, where one guy may make or break a season? I hope not. One guy should not effect a defense quite that much. If the defense keeps up at this pace, I would have no problems taking the over in Wisconsin scoring 45 points. I have faith that the Pelinis will figure it out, but the D WILL cost us more games than the offense this year. Sad to say.

Everything else:

Little disappointed in the team's intensity for 4 quarters. We were up 44-17 and looking to cruise to a bigger win that last year, and the team kind of packed it in. Give UW credit, they came to play, and it took some questionable reffing and a huge boner on special teams for us to put it away. I was not happy to see UW make a game of it in the 4th quarter. This game could have been a 65-17 game, but they team didn't want it enough. That's on the coaches. Bo seems like a guy that would keep pushing to beat every team by 70 pts if they could, but he doesn't seem to preach that on the field. I'd like to see a lot more killer instinct from the team. I'm sick and tired of watching teams crawl back into games they have no business being in (OkSt and OU last year come to mind).

I don't know if I feel any better about this team this week than I did last week to be honest. But I've always tried to be an optimist in life, and until the Cornhuskers actually lose, I won't all that upset. Here's to a 3-0 start to the '11 season.

Yeah it is frustrating when you watch other teams pile it on. Of course there is something to be said for playtime for young guys...

mels- he got hurt on 1 of the only 2 times he was hit by one of our D linemen about 10 seconds into a coverage sack. If you want claim that makes our pass rush good...

never said it was good.... just pointing out there was some. and he got hit way more than 2 times..... come on now

We both know our pass rush and D Line play was subpar and 180 degrees apart from the accolades and talk it has received. To be honest, I really only remember Price getting hit 2 times by our D line. No way it was "way more" than that. If upon another viewing I find that I'm wrong, I will come back on here and eat my words.