The Field Goal

zoogs

In the case without a straight up and down camera the ref had the best few and it sounds like was straight over the top of the bar and in that case the rule is that is I miss, that is what Bo said after the game. Too bad we did not have taller goal posts we could have seen if it would have bouced through or not.

Not reviewable:

SECTION 3. Reviewable Plays

c. Field goal attempts if and only if the ball is ruled (a) below or above the

crossbar or (b) inside or outside the uprights when it is lower than the

top of the uprights. If the ball is higher than the top of the uprights as it

crosses the end line, the play may not be reviewed.

They have shorter uprights in War Memorial than we have at Memorial Stadium, unless my eyes were batty.

I read some commentary that the whole ball has to be inside the upright, and the ref determined that part of the ball wasn't inside. It was terribly, terribly close. There was no perfect camera angle that showed it was in. Hard to say the ref was wrong, when he had the best angle.

You are correct sir, the entire ball has to be inside the post when it goes over the posts. If the ref deems any part of the ball would have touched the post it is no good.

Too bad the uprights weren't a little higher. The direction it was coming from, it probably would have banked in.

I thought the kick was good...BUT that's because I thought you automatically got the benefit of the doubt when you kick a 50 yarder OVER the uprights!!!

I think the ball clearly was not ALL inside the upright, therefore the call was right....TECHNICALLY! But I think football needs to look at adding a few unwritten rules, like in baseball....

"Unwritten" Rule #1: If you kick a ball OVER the upright and it isn't clearly wide, it is GOOD! Call this the Maher Effect!

I was there behind the end zone and that field goal was good...not a question. Unfortunately we were in Laramie with their plastic Pee-Wee football field goal posts. Super cool stadium though for how small it was, but those have to be the most ignorant, red neck, drunk fans I have ever met. So what I am trying to say is that we had a really good time with some fun drunk red-necks. Lots of dudes walking around with black eyes though.

The only person that knows for sure is the ref looking up, standing directly under the upright. The TV view we got doesn't mean squat. 41-14 or 38-14 doesn't much matter. I doubt the ref called it bad on purpose. He wouldn't have had time enough to discern that it was so close and the camera angle so bad that he wouldn't look like an idiot making the wrong call.

• Fire 1

Now I feel like a whiner for complaining about this injustice, because there are some ACTUALLY negligent officials out there...that really botched this call up.

http://www.toledobla...se-vacated.html

I don't think that is whining by Toledo. Doesn't change the way they played their last drive. This missed XP that managed to get counted, even after official review...means Toledo should have won. I don't support changing the result either, but Toledo got completely jobbed.

Still would like to see video of Maher's miss if anyone's got it!